Jane Eyre Jane Eyre discussion

Retellings and Spin-Offs and Reimaginings - oh my!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell So recently, I've started building up a collection of Jane Eyre retellings.

So far, I've got:

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey

Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn

Here on Earth  by Alice Hoffman

Also, one of my friends recently posted a Jane Eyre retelling called:

Eyre House by Cait Greer

Anyone else found any goodies they'd like to share? I'd especially welcome out-of-print titles that might not be getting the love that they so dearly deserve. <3

Brenda Clough You need to look at THE WIDE SARGASSO SEA, by Jean Rhys. (I think that's right.) The entire story, told from Bertha Mason's POV.

And IRONSKIN, by Tina Connolly -- a fantasy retellilng.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell Ooh, I had no idea Ironskin was a retelling. I HEART YOU FOR TELLING ME THIS.

And omg, WSS totally slipped my mind.

YAY. NEW READS FOR ME TO STALK. *runs off flailing*

Brenda Clough I just discovered that there's a sequel to IRONSKIN, too -- titled COPPERHEAD. So I have to track that down!

Mirkat Not a retelling really, but in The Eyre Affair , the protagonist enters the world of the novel after Jane Eyre is kidnapped.

Brenda Clough Now EYRE AFFAIR is a superb novel and not to be missed if you are a Bronte fan. If you know JANE EYRE well you will laugh and laugh.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell I've read the Eyre Affair, but it's more of a motley satire of the literature genre as a whole rather than a specific retelling of Jane Eyre. :P

message 8: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Rebecca by Du Maurier is also a retelling of Jane Eyre

Alice A Breath of Eyre... It isn't quite a retelling, but like the Eyre Affair the protagonist enters the Jane Eyre world

message 10: by Readingmom (last edited Sep 08, 2013 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Readingmom No one's mentioned The Thirteenth Tale yet. Written by Diane Setterfield, it's a gothic tale that makes clear references to Jane Eyre. I really enjoyed it.

Brenda Clough What is it about?

Readingmom Brenda wrote: "What is it about?"

I don't want to get too spoilery. But it starts with a woman who works in a bookstore with her father. She loves books. She ends up getting the opportunity to interview a mysterious, brilliant author who is famous for telling stories about her past - a different story for every reporter. Add in the gorgeous mansion the protagonist gets to explore while interviewing the author (which takes place over a period of time, so she is staying in the author's house/mansion), and it's a pretty awesome story. If you decide to read it, please let me know what you think!

Brenda Clough I will look at it!

Brenda Clough I am reading GEMMA HARDY and enjoying it!

Glenn Goettel Not to cringe at the title. But the early 1940's film "I Walked With A Zombie" is a loose but faithfully atmospheric, romantic retread of J.E.

message 16: by Laura Jean (last edited Jul 28, 2016 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Jean RE JANE by Patricia Park and JANE STEEL by Lyndsay Faye are both reimaginings of Jane Eyre. I loved RE JANE. I would suggest JANE SLAYER by Sherri Browning Erwin....it's the same idea as PRIDE PREJUDICE, AND ZOMBIES, but not nearly as well executed. It fits your list, but I wouldn't recommend it.