Fight Club > Chapters 14 - 20

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish, IT (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Pages 98-147 (Adjust for your copy)

message 2: by Trish, IT (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
I mentioned before that Marla annoys me a bit, but I do feel bad for Marla at this point. No healthcare, cancer, a miserable life and she won't die. I couldn't ever imagine. And throughout this section, she really isn't that bad, so I'll neutral about her now.

After the conversation with the detective, I wonder what really happened with the narrator's apartment. Having watched the movie, I have an idea, but how it would be possible, I'm not sure. What it really comes down to, I think, is how bad is the narrator's insomnia. Keeping in mind he is an extremely unreliable narrator, we probably don't even know the half of it... Actually at this point if you haven't watched the movie before, then you don't even know all of it.

Tyler's presence is now something the narrator needs to feel complete. What does Tyler want, what is Tyler doing, what did Tyler say? Whenever he whispers to the narrator, it's kind of chilling. Tyler doesn't depend on the narrator and he knows what kind of power he holds over him.

Reading the scene where the narrator hurts himself and pretends like the manager of the Pressman Hotel did it to him was surprisingly more moving in writing than it was watching the movie. It was one of my favourite scenes in the movie because it was insane and showed how far the narrator had fallen. But reading it was even more... It felt a lot more graphic in the book and I preferred it a lot more that way. Amazing.

Project Mayhem... Fight club spiraled into a new take over. To me, the narrator feels lost as fight club is less of his and Tyler's special club and more of an organization. The narrator seems to understand less of what's going on and just wants Tyler. Perhaps fight club was something he believed in, but started to like it more because it was his and Tyler's thing. I'm not really sure, but I do know that the narrator is bewildered at the fact that so many people have Tyler's words spilling out of their mouths, preaching his word.

Speaking of Tyler's preaching, I do understand the book's purpose, but it almost feels like I've been lectured this entire time reading. It was fine in the beginning, but now the message is being repeated over and over, and I don't know how much more I really want to hear about advertising and society meaning absolutely nothing.

The chapter I particularly liked in this section was chapter 20. Raymond K. Hessel is a sacrifice, but the narrator isn't going to kill him, and deep down inside I think he never intends to as he isn't big on the Project Mayhem business. Although extreme, his motivation to Raymond to become a vet like he dreamed is kind of admirable. Instead of using Project Mayhem to just wreck the city, the narrator tries to benefit Raymond's life and better society. I wonder how many other members of Project Mayhem would have done the same if not directly ordered to.