Fight Club > Chapters 1 - 6

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish, IT (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Pages 1-46 (Adjust for your copy)

message 2: by Trish, IT (new)

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Alright, who read the first section of Fight Club this week?

With the first chapter alone, I wonder how Chuck Palahniuk did all his research without looking like a terrorist. That takes some skill... Actually, this was published in 1996 when the internet wasn't as big as it is today, so I wonder how he did his research in the first place! Hmm...

Palahniuk's writing is so... matter-of-fact. I can't explain it, but I would be able to recognise his style if it were thrown in with a couple other authors' works. I love the short statements and those similes: "people calm as Hindu cows."

The unreliable-ness of the narrator is fun and I actually don't mind knowing his name. It makes it seem like this could be anyone. Anyone and everyone gets caught up in their mechanical job, in buying stuff, and appearances because it's important to society for some reason.

I wonder why Marla initially feels the need to go to the testicular cancer support group. It's a little obvious that she's fake for being there as much as the narrator would be if he went to an ovarian cancer support group. It's a little amusing they negotiate their support groups, but it's a little sad how they depend on them so much. How disappointing the narrator's doctor couldn't just give him some kind of medication like he wanted.

Would the medication have worked though? Is the narrator's outlook on life something he's always had or did it stem from his insomnia? If he had such a negative outlook on life before his insomnia, I don't think it would have worked well, he might have just gotten addicted to the drugs maybe. But if it stemmed from his insomnia... Well then the medication would have helped him out a lot, I think.

I feel like this first section is the narrator asking "Why? What's the point?" and finding a new meaning and direction for himself.

What are you guys thinking?