The Malazan Fallen discussion

The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
This topic is about The Bonehunters
Group Read - The Bonehunters > BH - Chapter Fourteen - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter Fourteen discussion thread

message 2: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
So Barathol was an officer in the Red Blades – For whatever reason, he killed the Malazan Fist, was jailed and sentenced , and the city responds by revolting

Barathol was to have been crucified on Aren Way. Instead, the city had risen in rebellion, slaughtering the Malazan garrison and driving the Red Blades from the city.

And then he went from Hero to Villain when he opened the gates

And then the T’lan Imass had arrived, delivering the harsh, brutal lesson of imperial vengeance. And Barathol Mekhar had been seen, by scores of witnesses, flinging open the north gate ...

But I don’t think he was opening the gates so the Imass could get in, but rather so everybody could get out

But it is true. T’lan Imass need no opened gates ...

Barathol confirms he’s related to Kalam

Mekhar? ‘Kalam ...’
A grimace. ‘Cousin, distant. Mekhar refers to the tribe – it’s gone now...

And Scillara makes the same observation Duffy raised earlier

It doesn’t make sense. I think they came to kill Heboric more than steal her.’

Scillara meantime wants to leave her newborn baby with Jessa and Jessa

... the child was going to be passed into the hands of two women both named Jessa.

Cutter, dreams of a conversation between the QoD and Leoman plus Dunsparrow and we learn a couple of things

One – we get direct confirmation that Corabb is blessed by Oponn – In fact, the QoD would have preferred him to Dunsparrow

‘Corabb?’
‘Chosen by Oponn,’ the Queen of Dreams said. ‘Beloved of the Lady. His presence would have been useful ...’

She also confirms that Dunsparrow is Hood touched – but also claims that Hood took revenge on Whiskeyjack for taking her from him – The suggestion is that Hood influenced Whiskeyjack to keep knocking back the healing of his leg – and in the battle with Kallor, Hood personally intervened in breaking WJs leg which left him open to Kallor’s final blow – when otherwise it would have been Kallor who died

‘Dunsparrow, did you know you were marked? No, I gather you did not – you were but newborn when sanctified, after all. And then stolen away, from the temple, by your brother. Hood never forgave him for that, and took in the end a most satisfying vengeance, ever turning away a healer’s touch when nothing else was needed, when that touch could have changed the world, could have shattered an age-old curse.’

The QoD claims that Hood regrets that decision and now seeks to make amends through his sister

‘I believe Hood now regrets his decision – his lack of humility stings him yet again. Dunsparrow, with you, I suspect, he may seek restitution ...’

This is also a veiled reference to the affair with Dassem’s daughter – suggesting that there was in fact an element of spite when Hood killed Dassems’s daughter to be used in the last chaining of the CG

Greyfrog survives, regenerating himself and casting of his old carcass like a snakeskin – Loric and Greyfrod head off – presumably to rejoin the QoD

Karsa chases of what might be the guardian that Paran sent off

‘A bear? Perhaps, Samar Dev. Such as the kind from my homeland, a dweller in caves, and on its hind legs half again as tall as a Teblor. But this one is yet different, for the pads of its paws are sheathed in scales.’

This isn’t one of the Hounds at least

And something really weird is happening to the moon

‘Tell me, witch, what is happening to the moon?’
She stared into the fire. ‘I don’t know. It seems to be breaking up. Crumbling. There is no record of anything like that happening before, neither the way it has grown larger, nor the strange corona surrounding it.’ She shook her head. ‘If it is an omen, it is one all the world can see.’

In other words, this isn’t just a vision or a manifestation in a warren. The moon appears to be breaking – sending pieces down

‘There are more fireswords in the sky,’ Karsa said. ‘Just before dawn, you may see ten in the span of three breaths, each slashing down through the dark. Every night.’

Samar wants to check how this is affecting the tides

‘We may learn more when we reach the coast, for the tides will have changed.’
‘Changed, how?’
‘The moon’s own breath,’ she replied. ‘We can measure that breath ... in the ebb and flood of the tides. Such are the laws of existence.’

The sky is falling!

And Mappo meets Lady Spite. Hi I’m responsible for the plan to kill you. But oh, I got kicked from the Nameless Ones – maybe something to do with the fact that I turned into a dragon and flew off – but we need to go on an overseas trip together so we can keep tracking Icarium.

What is her angle I wonder

And the crippled god’s plan in a nutshell

Kulat would take the boy under his wing, for teaching in the ways of pilgrimage, for this would be his new calling, to carry plague across the world, and so, among the survivors in his wake, gather yet more adherents to the new religion. Faith in the Broken, the Scarred, the Unmanned – all manner of sects were being formed, membership defined by the damage the plague had delivered to each survivor. Rarest and most precious among them, the Carriers.

An Apocalypse of plague – the walking dead!

Mpauli | 245 comments As the last chapter was heavy with foreshadowing, this one had most of its interesting information presented rather openly, so there were not many sentences for me to find.
And that seems to be the whole purpose of the chapter. Endless spoken words, like those of Iskaral Pust seem to lead nowhere.
It's the silence in the inaction of the Queen of dreams, the silence of the silent god from Greyfrog's world or the silent wisdom of the general from Mappo's memory, which dominate this chapter.

1) The Queen of Dreams

At the beginning of the book, I often spoke about thr ripples of certain images or actions throughout the book or the series.
You can see them in the spiders, the worms and other things, like Paran's doings as illustrated in last chapter's image of rain pouring down on him.

Now, we meet the Quenn of Dreams and there is an interesting image here about her:

Another woman now sat on the edge of the pool. Fairskinned, delicately featured, her long golden-hued hair drawn up and bound in an elaborate mass of braids. One hand was immersed in the pool, yet no ripples spanned outward.

This is an interesting images. I think that it shows that the Queen of Dreams has her hand in the game, but has yet to taken action that clearly matters.
She has helped Leoman, but that doesn't seem to create many ripples yet.
Is she like the silent general from Mappo's story, whose seemingly inaction turned out to be wise?

2) Cutter and Nulliss

In addition to the bit about the QoD, I found it odd that it was Cutter, who had the vision?
You could argue she looked for an Oponn touched being in her disapointment of Corabb's absence, but I don't think that's it.

Remember the part a few chapters back, when Nullis healed Cutter and another women mockingly called her a High Priestess?

‘Queen Nulliss, High Priestess of Bitchiness!’

So, if we assume that she might be an Ex-High Priestess of the Queen of Dreams, this might explain why Cutter has the vision, cause he was healed partly by her magic and got QoD-touched.

3) Abuse of gods

Greyfrog's story of the Silent God from his dimension gives us another take on the concept of gods being abused by their mortal followers:

The leaders of the cult proclaimed themselves the voice of that god. They wrote down laws, prohibitions, ascribances, propitiations, blasphemies, punishments for nonconformity, for dispute and derivations.

The mortal took opportunity of the god without a voice. He can't argue against anything that is done to he, he isn't able to speak up and helplessly, he can just die:

‘Seven great warriors from seven clans set out to find the Silent God, set out to see for themselves if this god had indeed blessed all that had come to pass in its name.’
‘And did they find the silent god?’
‘Yes, and too, they found the reason for its silence. The god was dead. It had died with the first drop of blood spilled in its name.’

Again the picture of gods as victims is brought forth.

4) Numerology

And of course you recognized from the last quote that seven warriors were sent to look for the gods.

And, of course, the number twelve makes an appearance as well:

He had arrived at the gates of the city that morning, in the company of twelve half-wild dogs.

As David already talked about the Dunsparrow part, identified the bear Karsa hunted as Paran's guardian and spoke about the falling moon, there is not much here to add.

Except mabye one part of the falling moon picture I can't really make sense of.
Karsa talks about meteorites falling down to earth. Look at the oicture he uses:

‘There are more fireswords in the sky,’ Karsa said.

We already know the picture of a fiery sword parting the darkness from a bit about Treach a few chapters back:

In the east the sun was clawing its way back into the sky, the edge of some vast iron blade, just pulled from the forge. He watched the red glow cutting the darkness, and wondered at this strange sense of imminence that so stilled the dawn air.

In this case, the ascension of a god is shown with the image of a fiery blade, but it originates from the sund.

The fireblades now come from the moon. So, could this mean descension on a large scale, as in Fener? But how does this work with the idea of too many ascendants? Is the universe balancing itself somehow?
I need to think about this more.
Untill now I just think that the connection is not coincidental, but I have no grasp on a really convincing theory.

@David: What a great pickup on the subtle hint on Hood's regret about Dassem's duaghter. I totally failed to pick that up, but after reading it, it seems very clear.

So, find your own shooting stars, don't go bear hunting and find your own wisdom in silence.

See you next chapter!

message 4: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mpauli wrote: "So, if we assume that she might be an Ex-High Priestess of the Queen of Dreams, this might explain why Cutter has the vision, cause he was healed partly by her magic and got QoD-touched."

I hadn't made that connection but it's a good one. I was also thinking that maybe it has something to do with Cutter's association with Shadow. We know Shadowthrone needs allies because the CG is basically threatening to take over his realm. The Tiste Edur are looking for the true throne of Shadow as well as the First Throne of the Imass. - and The QoD is looking for allies in whatever she has planned?

Lori Just starting this chapter and noted the constant reminders of how the major species have ravaged the land. Trees and herds gone.

Have no idea who Karsa's new monsters are. Suspect FA.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Here's a wildly speculative theory on the moon: that's where the K'Chain Che'Malle made their sky keeps and that's where they've been hanging out for the past million years. Now they're coming back, and the "fireswords" are spacecraft landing.

It's interesting to know that the Mekhar were a conquered ethnicity in Seven Cities, not part of the elite.

message 7: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvio wrote: "Here's a wildly speculative theory on the moon: that's where the K'Chain Che'Malle made their sky keeps and that's where they've been hanging out for the past million years. Now they're coming back..."

That's an interesting thought!

Mpauli | 245 comments Silvio wrote: "Here's a wildly speculative theory on the moon: that's where the K'Chain Che'Malle made their sky keeps and that's where they've been hanging out for the past million years. Now they're coming back..."

Yes, this is a very good theory. I like it a lot. Would also give significance to the naming "Moon's Spawn" for Rake's keep.

message 9: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
I'm curious about the perceived bad blood between Kalam and Barathol. We don't know if it's true or not, but I'll be siding with Kalam if it is. ^_^

I totally called Corab and Oponn like 3 books ago. Not that it wasn't obvious, but I'm still proud of myself!

Man, Erikson needs to stop reusing names. First Felesin gives someone else her name, now she in turn is naming plague boy Crockus. Lol.

Sumant Queen Nulliss, High Priestess of Bitchiness!’

So, if we assume that she might be an Ex-High Priestess of the Queen of Dreams, this might explain why Cutter has the vision, cause he was healed partly by her magic and got QoD-touched.

Mpauli you are like kruppe only we seem to understand your words :P.

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 210 comments I cannot stand Iskaral Pust. I know he says interesting and relevant things in his rants but I want to punch him. He's so obnoxious and irritating to me and seems to get MORE irritating each time I encounter him. Which may be the point but I was with Mappo - I wanted to strangle him.

I have nothing else to add. I just wanted to rant.

Conor | 78 comments Dara wrote: "I cannot stand Iskaral Pust. I know he says interesting and relevant things in his rants but I want to punch him. He's so obnoxious and irritating to me and seems to get MORE irritating each time I..."

Lol, That's how I felt about Kruppe in MoI. Iskaral Pust annoyed me somewhat in DG but with each appearance since then he's grown on me. I've enjoyed his parts in this one.

Hector | 6 comments (Mogora) "Come near me with intentions other than amorous and I'll stick you"

(Pust)"Amorous. What a horrible thought-"

(Mogora) "What if I told you I was pregnant?"

(Pust)"I'd kill the mule."

Conor | 78 comments Hector wrote: "(Mogora) "Come near me with intentions other than amorous and I'll stick you"

(Pust)"Amorous. What a horrible thought-"

(Mogora) "What if I told you I was pregnant?"

(Pust)"I'd kill the mule.""

:D

Anthony Abreu | 8 comments Did felisin younger ever meet crokus/cutter? Why choose that name?

message 16: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Ever meet previously? They meet in this book, but I have no idea which chapter. I don't think that is too much of a spoiler :)

Crokus changed his name to Cutter when he realised that he needed to forget who he was and become a new person to follow Apsalar in her tasks. Young love eh!