The Malazan Fallen discussion

The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
This topic is about The Bonehunters
Group Read - The Bonehunters > BH - Chapter Thirteen - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter Thirteen discussion thread.

message 2: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
I love the scene where Fid, Kalam and QB are discussing Dunsparrow and they are all freaking out and squabbling. The stress, the unknown, Apsalar's presence, has them all just freaking. Gret writing to portray that so well as these three characters are usually so strong and disciplined in their reactions.

message 3: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
Paran and Trygalle Trade Guild exit from Ganath’s warren out in seven cities and part ways

And it looks like the sky keep Icarium is exploring is the one Ganath encased in a ritual;

I’m curious, what did it imprison?’
‘A sky keep of the K’Chain Che’Malle. And ... other things.’

I wonder what the “other things” are.

Paran hooks up with OneArm’s host to go and meet Dujek. Onearm’s host is beset by plague having encountered Poliel directly

‘...They planned an assault on that damned temple. Well, they expected at least a High Priestess or some other sort, but they were ready for it. What nobody planned on, though, was the Grey Goddess herself.’

Kalam suggests that Pearl’s presence is not a good sign – that it doesn’t bode well for relations between Tavore and Laseen

‘Pearl’s the key, sapper,’ the assassin said. ‘Why is he still around? What’s the point of spying on the Adjunct? What’s the point of dogging the Fourteenth’s heels? I’m telling you, Fid, what the Adjunct does next depends on Empress Laseen, her and nobody else.’

The insinuation, one that has already been made, is that the Empress may be threatened by Tavore in the wake of her military success and may be planning an assassination.

Quick Ben wants him dead

‘I’d like to see Pearl disposed of,’ Quick Ben said.

The only question is, can Kalam take him

Also, the Empress seems to be well appraised of the bigger war

‘Fid,’ Quick Ben said, ‘the war’s a lot bigger than you might think, and it’s just starting. There’s no telling which side the Empress is on.’
‘What in Hood’s name are you talking about?’
Apsalar spoke. ‘A war among the gods, Sergeant. Captain Paran talked of such a war, at length—’

Note – even though the Malazan’s have been fighting CG inspired armies – nobody assumes that Laseen has taken sides.

Fiddler is trying to sneak Corabb into his squad

‘Is it that simple, Sergeant?’ Corabb asked. ‘You Malazans are strange. I cannot yet be a soldier in your army, for I have not yet impaled a babe on a spear.’

And we learn that Dunsparrow is WhiskeyJack’s sister

‘Dunsparrow. That’s who’s at Leoman’s side right now. Dunsparrow. Whiskeyjack’s little sister and I don’t know – I don’t know anything – what to think, only I want to scream

And Dunsparrow has been dedicated to Hood as a child after her mother died giving her birth

...she should have died inside, if you know what I mean. That’s why the town elders gave her up to the temple, to Hood’s own. The father was already dead, killed outside Quon, and Whiskeyjack, well, he was finishing his prenticeship. We was young then. So me and him, we had to break in and steal her back, but she’d already been consecrated, blessed in Hood’s name –

The implication of having someone blessed to Hood who just so happens to have crossed their paths who just so happens to be WhiskeyJack’s sister is that the whole lot of them are dancing to Hood’s tune – And also

Nor did it seem likely that the Queen of Dreams would knowingly accept the presence of an avatar of Hood within her realm. Unless the two gods are now allies in this war.

Except we know Hood opposes the CG and it appears the QoD is opposing the CG so the idea that the two are allies is not that far fetched for us readers.

And the Deragoth and the Hounds converge on Dejim – Though it appears that the Hounds have not submitted to being reunited with their counterparts. The Deragoth take out the three healthier Divers forms – while the Hounds snatch the last – but don’t kill – instead they take off with him. What’s going on?

It appears to me that Shadowthrone – while being forced by Paran to send his Hounds into Seven Cities is not so content to lose his dogs – that would be a major blow – and it appears he’s instructed the Hounds to do something other than what the Deragoth AND Paran intend ie kill Dejim

Helpless in the grip of those jaws, the last D’ivers of Dejim Nebrahl did not struggle, for struggle was pointless. There would be no quick death, for these creatures had some other purpose in mind for him. Unlike the Deragoth, he realized, these Hounds possessed a master.

The implication being the Hounds are playing to a different tune than the Deragoth.

And the big revelation – depending on how much weight we give to Bottle – Curdle and Telorast are dragons

‘...I was just wondering.’
‘Wondering what?’
‘Well, why Apsalar has two dragons in tow.’
‘They’re not dragons. They’re tiny lizards—’
‘No, Sergeant, they’re dragons.’
Slowly, Fiddler’s eyes widened.
Bottle’d known he wouldn’t like it.

No wonder I’m mixing up Robin Hobb’s books with these threads – both have stunted dragons!

message 4: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2013 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Lee - I loved that too, the scene was so vivid it was witnessing a famile squabble! And they are completely freaked by Apsalar who is messing with Kalam, she's not after him at all, poor guy, but it's funny too.

message 5: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee wrote: "I love the scene where Fid, Kalam and QB are discussing Dunsparrow and they are all freaking out and squabbling. "

I like how they look at Fiddler like it's his fault. Though I think that was more a case of QB correctly assuming Fiddler should know more about it.

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments From early on, I wondered why Shadowthrone had it in for Quick Ben. Yes, I know he was a high priest of Shadow, and betrayed his vows. But that was all before Kellavened ascended, so there isn't much reason to take it personally. And perhaps letting Bidithal escape was enough to create undying wrath.

The obvious finally occurred to me: Quick Ben and Kalam, as a team, act much the way Kellavened and Dancer did. ST sees a real similarity here, and he also knows how strong and smart QB is. Thus, I see a combination of envy, self-loathing, and the recognition of a threat.

Kellavened, I think, though I'm still not sure, acted almost completely out of pure ambition. Quick Ben's fundamental motives are not as easy to grasp. I don't get the sense that he's angling for the power, but I could be wrong. The power grab that he made in Raraku is pretty breathtaking, merging six other souls into himself. But I think QB is in it more for the sport. If he covets power, its more so that he will be able to tweak the nose of an even bigger god, and not for the control and aggrandizement it will bring him.

I guess this reflection was brought on by the rumination about how dangerous Kalam and QB are.

Also, for what its worth, and this is pure guess, I don't think QB is the last name on Apsalar's list. I'm not sure who is, but I think it must be somehow related to Cotillion's request to Lostara that she will need to be ready to decide between Tavore and what Pearl represents. (It's amazing how much I have forgotten since the first read through.)

message 7: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duffy wrote: "Quick Ben and Kalam, as a team, act much the way Kellavened and Dancer did"

That's a good observation.

Though I imagine every time Shadowthrone looks at Pust he's grumbling "should have been that shapeshifting bastard Delat"

message 8: by Lori (last edited Aug 26, 2013 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Duffy, re: Apasalar's target I agree it must be Pearl, that conversation with Lostara is the giveaway. Pearl is very much Laseen's man, plus the Clawmaster! I too can't remember what happens, this 2nd read is great because I know enough to pick up so much more info while I can still have the tension of the plot.

I think QB is pretty pure judging from his anxiety about the stakes at play with Burn and TCG. I don't remember him in raraku grabbing the others so much as them giving it their power freely to him so Seven Cities would still have them all.

I kind of love the relationship between ST and QB. I don't get the sense that ST wants QB dead, he knows he needs him. And also ST doesn't bind anyone to him, remember even Apt retains her independence yet still stays working with him. Cotillion too. He attracts the powerful that asto keep their integrity. But I do think he's completely frustrated with QB, the wayward son.

message 9: by Mpauli (last edited Aug 26, 2013 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mpauli | 245 comments Chapter 13, wow...after a few chapters low on foreshadowing, double-meaning and invitations for mind-boggling theories, this chapter is overflowing with juicy sentences, scenes and pictures.
I'm going to try myself on some really crazy theories that I partly don't understand myself, but I hope it's not going to be too weird.

1) Inconsistencies?

But let's start of easy. A quick reminder of what happened with Paran, Ganath and co.:

They had left Ganath’s warren of Omtose Phellack, and now the familiar desert, scrubland and barren hills of Seven Cities surrounded them, the sun reaching towards noon behind a ceiling of cloud.

I'm not one to critizise SE often, but I found the whole Omtose Phellack thing rather sloppy.
Karporal Demesand made a huge fuss about how complicated it is to steer through the warrens, you need special maps and all...and then Ganath just randomly opens her warren and everyone escapes.
I don't think it should be that easy. If it were, everyone could do it.

2) Other things...

I was thinking about something that David already talked about, Ganath's ritual:

‘Ah, yes, to repair the damage to that ritual of yours. I’m curious, what did it imprison?’
‘A sky keep of the K’Chain Che’Malle. And ... other things.’

So, what is she referring to? The keep had the dead dragon inside. Was she worried about the dragon and its blood? Or did she bound the entity that drunk from the dragon as well?
So, what about Curdle and Telorast? Are they true Eleint or did they drink from the dragon? It's kind of curious that they are found by Apsalar around the same time that Ganath's ritual was disrupted.
But they were bound in Shadow...that would speak against it, but I still find it at least "interesting".

3) Paran

I'm going to leave you with a picture of Paran for a moment:

The first spatters of rain struck his back, and a moment later, in a rushing sizzle, the downpour was upon him. The rocky trail was suddenly treacherous, forcing Paran to slow his horse to a cautious trot. Visibility reduced to a dozen paces on all sides, the world beyond washed away behind a silver wall. Warm water trickling beneath his clothes, Paran drew up the tattered hood of the military rain-cape covering his shoulders, then hunched over as the rain hammered down.

So, let's look more closely to this image, shall we?

"The first spatters of rain struck his back"
I think the rain is a symbol for what Paran's actions triggered. The reverberations of his undertakings as the Master of the Deck catch up to him.

"and a moment later, in a rushing sizzle, the downpour was upon him."
And apparently he triggered more than just a few drops. All the consequences are now raining down on him.

"The rocky trail was suddenly treacherous, forcing Paran to slow his horse to a cautious trot."
And all this consequences make his next steps very difficult. He has to be careful. Power draws power. He will be recognized, if he carries on and his path will be dangerous.

"Visibility reduced to a dozen paces on all sides, the world beyond washed away behind a silver wall."
He can't see clear anymore. The lines are getting blurry. He needs to regroup, get a clear picture, needs to figure out the players to make his next moves.

"Warm water trickling beneath his clothes, Paran drew up the tattered hood of the military rain-cape covering his shoulders, then hunched over as the rain hammered down."
So he hides under the hood, to hide from others players, cause he needs more time to figure it all out. And thus, his "hood" will be being Captain Kindly, hiding in Dujek's host, until the downpour of his actions is over and the path becomes clear again.

Another thought occurred to me. Names and naming oneself is a very important action in the Malazan world. We saw it with Apsalar, Fiddler, ST and Cotillion etc.
We also learnt that binding oneself is always dangerous, cause you get bound in return.
By taking on Kindly's name, is Paran binding himself unknowingly to Kindly? I'll keep my eyes open for hints towards a connection.

4) The Crimson Guard

The Crimson Guard, who were up north, just vanished – no-one knows where they went. When Onearm shipped out, well, seemed like they were headed somewhere interesting.’

Of course this also filed as "interesting" and leads to a question for the moderators in the know:

(view spoiler)

Mpauli | 245 comments Argh! GR ate most of my post...I was already on 11) and wanted to start a second post...damn it!!!!

message 11: by Mpauli (last edited Aug 26, 2013 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mpauli | 245 comments 2nd try. Wrote it all again...

5) Faradan Sort

Interesting conversation between Faradan (sentence 1 & 3) and Lostara:

‘At the very least,’ Faradan replied, ‘you gave them the chance to defend themselves. And Oponn decides in the end, decides in which set of eyes the light shall fade.’
‘Oponn – I thought it was skill.’
‘You’re still young, Captain Lostara Yil.’
‘I am?’

Makes you wonder, if Faradan is just experienced, or really old old.

6) Fiddler scenes

Fiddler has some great images with children.

In the first image we're seeing him with Dunsparrow on his knees. A young and caring Fiddler. The tone is happy and lighthearted.

In sharp contrast to the first scene, we're seeing Fiddler now as an exhausted veteran, who carries an equally exhausted child through the desert.

I think the child in this image represents the whole army.
The binding image is that Fiddler, no matter how exhausted he is, still cares for the child. His humanity is still intact and he is still standing strong for the soldiers in his care, who started out naive and happy and are now exhausted and disaffected.

7) Unbound

David already talked about Dunsparrow, but I'd like to talk about a different aspect of the quote:

We was young then. So me and him, we had to break in and steal her back, but she’d already been consecrated, blessed in Hood’s name – so we took its power away by talking about it, ha ha, making light and all that, and she grew up normal enough. More or less. Sort of ...

We often talk about what it means in the Malazan world to be bound to something.
Now this quote actually asks the question, if there is a possibility to be unbound again by denying the bound and making fun of it.
That is actually exactly what Karsa does the whole time. So did he find the key to be free?

8) Dassem

Again, we are reminded of Dassem's fate:

It was believed by many that Laseen had arranged Dassem Ultor’s death, and Dassem had been the Mortal Sword of Hood – in reality if not in name – and the centre of a growing cult among the ranks of the Malazan armies.

Now bring this in context with what we learnt in the dream sequences about god making:
The cult around him is actually how gods come into being, by being thought of, a concept taking form.

Now 2 things migh have happened:

a) if Dassem survied, you could argue that the blood spilled in his name in Y'Ghatan is a sacrifice to ascend him.

b) if he died, you could argue that the same happened to him as it happened to Treach.

The important thing here is: It doesn't seem to matter, if Dassem survived or not, his chances to have ascended either way are pretty high.

9) Life and Death

Another quote David already talked about:

Nor did it seem likely that the Queen of Dreams would knowingly accept the presence of an avatar of Hood within her realm. Unless the two gods are now allies in this war.

I like to bring this in context with something Kruppe said to Paran in chapter 8:

On time, and in time, and in due time you will indeed arrive, and then you must walk the singular shadow – between, dare Kruppe utter such dread words – between life and death, the wavy, blurry metaphor so callously and indifferently trespassed by things that should know better.

So it seems the shadow is singular, cause both are actually in union on this one.

10) ???

(view spoiler)

11) Masan Gilani was a...

Isn't it odd that Masan Gilani survives Dejim's attack? And she not only survives, she even kills one avatar and wounds another one.
Mappo and Icarium only managed to kill 2. So, I don't think Masan is a normal soldier.

So, look at what is said, when she is introduced:

It certainly looked that way, so Masan made no reply to Scant’s words. She thought back over all of the things she had done of late. Plenty to consider, but none came to mind that anyone might find out about, not after all this time.

So, she is afraid that somebody could have found out something about her past, not her recent past, but something that lies way back.

She also seems to be really good with knives, so a thought struck me, when I read this sentence from her fight with Dejim:

Talons raked down her left thigh, pitching her round, off-balance.

I don't think Erikson's use of "Talons" here is coincidental. In my book, there is a lot of circumstantial evidence here for her being a Talon.

(view spoiler)

12) Voices in the dark

Something the marines heard, while hiding:

A short time earlier he’d thought he had heard voices, distant and seeming to descend from the night sky, but that had since faded.

Voices definately rules out the hounds, but I thinks it's just a reminder of Telorast and Curdle.

13) Were there only Hounds and Deragoth?

There was one being described by Bottle that could be a Deragoth, but that also reminded me a lot of the guardian Paran made go away:

‘But it wasn’t that. Something a lot closer. Had a rhizan wheeling round out there – it came close to a beast. A damned big beast, Sergeant. Halfway between wolf and bear, only the size of a bull bhederin. It was headed west—

14) More on Deragoth

We already speculated about how the Deragoth got imprisoned. Dejim gives the next hint:

Deragoth. Impossible – they were gone, swallowed by a nightmare of their own making. This was all wrong.

If we would see the Deragoth as being Dessimbelackis and he created the Soletaken, could it be that Soletaken/D'ivers were responsible for the binding of the Deragoth?

15) Spiders, webs and bones

Spiders and webs are mentioned quite often. Hellian, of course, introduced us to the image, but through Mogora and Ardata f.e. the images go way beyond Hellians paranoia.

Keneb actually gives us a clue about the image:

Killing the bastard hadn’t been enough, as far as Keneb was concerned. What still needed to be expunged was a deeper, more pervasive rot, the knots and threads all bound in a chaotic web that defined the time at that fell garrison. One life tied to every other by invisible, thrumming threads, unspoken hurts and unanswered expectations, the constant deceits and conceits – it had taken a continentwide uprising to shatter all of that. And we are not mended.

Keneb basically tells us that all is connected, everybody is tied to everybody else. The reoccurring images of spiders and webs are all signs of the connection between the different plot threads.

A bit earlier, Apsalar already introduce us to the idea:

She realized that, in joining this column, in coming among these soldiers, she had become ensnared in yet another web, and there was no guarantee she would be able to cut herself free. Not in time

And in the end the connection is driven home by the image of the Chain of Dogs:

Broad-bellied pots crowding market stalls, their flanks a mass of intricately painted yellow butterflies, swarming barely seen figures and all sweeping down the currents of a silt-laden river. Scabbards bearing black feathers. A painted line of dogs along a city wall, each beast linked to the next by a chain of bones.

It has the image of the Chain of Dogs, and the chain connects it to the House of Chains and therefore to the CG.
And the chain is made of bones, as in the bones that are collected by the remnants of the 14th.
And the mention of beast connects it to the beast throne and events from Memories of Ice.
All of these elements are connected in the same image.
All are part of the same web.

So, wow, this really was a chapter full of images and hidden double-meanings.

Don't get caught in the web, avoid the rain and start collecting bones!
See you next chapter.

message 12: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Aug 26, 2013 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Remember that the QoD represents High Hous Life:

Good pickup. Life and death united.

I'm not one to critizise SE often, but I found the whole Omtose Phellack thing rather sloppy.
Karporal Demesand made a huge fuss about how complicated it is to steer through the warrens, you need special maps and all...and then Ganath just randomly opens her warren and everyone escapes.

I don't think her own racial warren would be hard for her to navigate if she can open it from wherever she is. But I don't think she would have been able to navigate back the other way round - to the Bridge of Death and Kurald Emurlahn from Seven Cities.
Karporal is basically trespassing through the warrens - leapfrogging through to take the most direct route to specific physical destinations in this world. I don't think Ganath could do that - but she can pull the ripcord to parachute out through her own warren.

This is a theory I'm a bit proud of and I don't know if it's true.
There's nothing about in on the wiki, but that does not discourage another of my crazy theories.

Look at what was said, when Masan was introduced:

That's a brilliant pickup. I'm buying it.

There was one being described by Bottle that could be a Deragoth, but that also reminded me a lot of the guardian Paran made go away:

I buy this as well - maybe. The description is fitting for a Deragoth or hound - but that guardian had to go somewhere.

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments Lori (Hellian) wrote: "Duffy, re: Apasalar's target I agree it must be Pearl, that conversation with Lostara is the giveaway. Pearl is very much Laseen's man, plus the Clawmaster! I too can't remember what happens, this ..."

Count me in to the "Pearl is Apsalar's target" club. This chapter kind of sealed the deal. Interesting as well that Kalam and QB are unexpected allies in this. They all prefer a pearlless world.

I was prepared for many options when it came to the real identity of Apsalar's familiars, but i didn't think about Dragons at all. Interesting!

message 14: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

'We are dragons!'
'No we aren't!'
'We aren't?'
'No.'
'Of course not.... What are we?'
'Lizards.'
'Of course we are lizards. How could I forget.'
'But not dragons.'
'Oh no. Never. Ridiculous.'

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments duh! *face palm*
i think i'm reading too many books at once.
and all of them too slowly to remember the details

message 16: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hanne wrote: "duh! *face palm*
i think i'm reading too many books at once.
and all of them too slowly to remember the details"

Those were my made up details - not an actual quote :)

Mpauli | 245 comments Lol, I just saw GR didn't eat my thread, I just fucked up a spoiler, so I'll take that "duh! *face palm*" for me as well.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Ganath's escape didn't work out all that easily. Several people died and the carriage got wrecked. And she's a Jaghut who probably is way above even the Trygalle Guild's level in sorcery. So I didn't feel like it really contradicted the idea that it's complicated to travel warrens.

I also think there must be something more to Gilani than we've been told.

I'm guessing that the beast Bottle saw wasn't the guardian because that had scales and Bottle describes this as if it were a mammal.

I like the comparison of Kellanved-Dancer to Quick Ben-Kalam. It will be interesting to see how the parallel holds up.

message 19: by Rob, Quick Ben (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
The Lies of Locke Lamora finished, Time to catch up!

QB, Kalam and Fiddler are my 3 favorites, I like having them all together. If Apsalar kills one of them, I may rage quit! (Well probably not, but will be very mad). So I hope you guys are right about Pearl. He can die, I won't mind. ^_^

Interesting about Dunsparrow. I really like Whiskeyjack. I really DON'T like Leoman. I didn't much care for Dunsparrow what little we've seen of her. I'll be curious to see how that develops.

Sumant So, what is she referring to? The keep had the dead dragon inside. Was she worried about the dragon and its blood? Or did she bound the entity that drunk from the dragon as well?
So, what about Curdle and Telorast? Are they true Eleint or did they drink from the dragon? It's kind of curious that they are found by Apsalar around the same time that Ganath's ritual was disrupted.
But they were bound in Shadow...that would speak against it, but I still find it at least "interesting".

This is also a good theory regarding telorast and curdle, also as we saw in dejim's case there were multiple bindings holding him same can also be the case with telorast and curdle.

Also dejim is shown to be someone really powerful at the start of the book but the way he has his ass hand over to him multiple times first by pust,icarium,mappo and then by the hounds makes me really wonder why invent him in the 1st place.

I really DON'T like Leoman

As far as i am concerned I wouldn't like or hate any one so far in the books because sooner you start getting conflicting emotions about them, it happened with me regarding karsa.May be he will turn into a Jamie Lannister :P.

message 21: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
Not going to happen with Leoman. I'm calling it now.

message 22: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 210 comments One question: Do we know who sent Dejim loose on Seven Cities and why? I don't know if this has been revealed and I forgot or if it's still a mystery.

message 23: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara wrote: "One question: Do we know who sent Dejim loose on Seven Cities and why? I don't know if this has been revealed and I forgot or if it's still a mystery."

The Nameless ones in the beginning release Dejim for the express purpose of killing Mappo so they could send in their replacement ie Veed (the guy who uses spit to comb his hair).

message 24: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 210 comments David Sven wrote: "The Nameless ones in the beginning release Dejim for the express purpose of killing Mappo so they could send in their replacement ie Veed (the guy who uses spit to comb his hair)."

Ah okay, right right. Thank you, all-knowing Mortal Sword David Sven.

Johny (drbo) | 184 comments Mpauli wrote: "I'm not one to critizise SE often, but I found the whole Omtose Phellack thing rather sloppy.
I don't think it should be that easy. If it were, everyone could do it.
"

Omtose Phellack is like a racial warren for Jaghut, of course for everyone else is hard and complicated to use, but for Jaghut it is not.

Mpauli wrote: "The important thing here is: It doesn't seem to matter, if Dassem survived or not, his chances to have ascended either way are pretty high."

Well, Leoman told Corabb a chapter or two back, Dassem ascended to Dessembrae. And if readers read Night of Knives, they know more. :)