City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Valentine, Those Braids

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cree I just have to say I was impressed by Valentine's hair style. I thought he was going to be clean cut, but those random long braids actually made me like him a little more. Those braids made the movie for me.
Also, most of the werewolves were rugged. I liked that.

Anyway, was there anything about the costumes or make up that you enjoyed?

Kyren All the Marks were so cool! The night I went and saw the movie, my friend and I drew them on with eyeliner:D
But yeah, the braids were awesome!

Christina I know that the braids weren't true to his character, which is infuriating in some ways, but I actually thought that they made him look cooler than he might have otherwise. They made him look like a young bad boy. Again, all wrong, but cool nonetheless.

Courtney Davis I think they added to the "He's crazy" vibe they were going for

Goddess Of Blah people had mixed feelings with regards to Valentine and his looks.

But i can understand why the producers deviated so widely from the book. They only had a short time capacity to include so much detail and bring out V's evilness to the forefront hence the change.

Magnus looked exactly how I expected him to look. Only the poor actor wasn't that skilled an actor.

Simon was nerdy and very unattractive - which was exactly how I expected him to be. Only the guy playing him is 6 ft and book simon is small.

The only person I was puzzled with were the V's minions who were nothing like the book at all.

Allison Valentine's braids in the movie made me think of Jack Sparrow, and I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the film.
Magnus was done perfectly, Simon as well. They made the movie really great, though I was a little disappointed that Simon didn't turn into a rat. :D

Amna Really? You all liked the braids? In the book I imagined him as this really classy, clean-cut guy. I thought the whole point was that he had that image, but he really is a little crazy inside. He's supposed to look very likeable. I don't know, the braids made it hard for me to see him that way, and I didn't like all the screaming he did in the movie. It just didn't feel like him.

Kristina I'm fine with the looks, but his movie personality pissed me off on all levels. Book Valentine is a calm guy, a true villain who has everything planned out and protagonists are scared because most of the time he's ahead of them, pulling the strings.

In the movie, he's portrayed with emotional maturity of a 10-year-old, throwing tantrums and being the exact opposite of calm, not to mention that Clary keeping the Cup made him look like an idiot and not like a great villain at all.

Davey Kirk Amna wrote: "Really? You all liked the braids? In the book I imagined him as this really classy, clean-cut guy. I thought the whole point was that he had that image, but he really is a little crazy inside. He's..."

Agree

SpookySoto Kristina wrote: "I'm fine with the looks, but his movie personality pissed me off on all levels. Book Valentine is a calm guy, a true villain who has everything planned out and protagonists are scared because most ..."

I agree. For me, he's the worst character of the film. His motives are never fully explained, I don't know, for me He's just off. I didn't like it.

Nurlely Amna wrote: "Really? You all liked the braids? In the book I imagined him as this really classy, clean-cut guy. I thought the whole point was that he had that image, but he really is a little crazy inside. He's..."

Agree. I also don't like the braids. I have always imagined Valentine as a handsome man but scary enough for the Circle members to be afraid of him. He should look stern enough for me to forget that he is also good looking.

Jordan Valentine was awesome, I loved him. I didn't like Simon in the books so I was really pleasantly surprised at the actor portraying him, I think he did an excellent job. I liked Simon more than Jace in the movie, same for Alec, I liked him more than the books as well. Oh and I loved Isabelle's dress at Pandemonium.

message 13: by Miška (last edited Sep 11, 2013 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miška Those Valentine´s braides were awesome! Even though I imagined him as some classy guy with no emotions..and I imagined Jace, Alec and Isabelle to look different too. Also I was disappointed that Simon didn´t turn into rat. And why there wasn´t Max? I absolutely missed him!

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I know alot of people will not agree with me but i didnt like the braids . When I imagined Valentine I thought of a clean cut man with short white hair not a a younger , buff man with long braown hair in plaits . Have to say I was a little dissapointed

Jordan Tons of people didn't like the braids, because in the book, he was always classy looking. But of course, I love them, because his character in the movie was a little more crazy, so I think they were a cool touch to his character.

Jordan Miška wrote: "Those Valentine´s braides were awesome! Even though I imagined him as some classy guy with no emotions..and I imagined Jace, Alec and Isabelle to look different too. Also I was disappointed that S..."

Max wasn't in the first book. And the rat thing kind of disappointed me too, but in the end, I think it was better for the movie that way.

Asiyah HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA LMAO. Me and my mom were cracking. up. over them braids!! I mean, what the heck? WHERE did they pull that one from?? The air??