The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > New Jersey Senate Candidate To Single Mothers: Stop Relying On Food Stamps And Go To Work

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Frank (new)

Frank Klus (ftklus) What a jerk. If a program returns two dollars to the economy for every one dollar invested that is a good thing. To suggest that cutting all regulations for OSHA and the EPA is somehow going to benefit us is nonsense.

What is even more nonsensical is that we started without any government programs or protection and the result was a disaster. That's why we have these regulations now. If you own a business you want to maximize revenue while minimizing expenses. This means,without regulations of any sort, your going to cheat your customers, work your labor force to death, pay the least you can while still having the necessary labor force, keep benefits bare bone, poison the air, water, etc.

This is why we have regulations. We don't want to live in a world where business owners would recreate if given a chance. Government, and I mean good government, acts to modify the damage business can do by creating effective regulations.

message 3: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments I hate when people say that since they know this one person is __________ and they could do __________, then everyone that is ___________ can do ___________.

Just because his mother may have been smart, lucky (ex. possibly had family that helped, at least initially or got a lucky break with a job quickly, etc.), and living in completely different economic times doesn't mean that the same circumstances exist for many single mothers these days. The reality is that its very hard to live as a single person on minimum wage and nearly impossible (if not impossible) to do so with children. And that's if you can get the job and the hours...

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I totally agree with Frank. If we lose that, we lose everything.