You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Theresa's Historical Fiction Combo - Low Octane

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Nov 23, 2013 09:12PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Since I found YLTO so late in the year, I've opted to join the Year Long Alphabet Challenge at the Low Octane Level. The task I've chosen is the #7. Combination in Historical Fiction.
COMPLETED 11/23/13

A. The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory #5. Author born in Kenya, Africa. 1/9/13

B. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene #6. Character Maurice Bendix. 2/1/13

C. The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley #6. Character Carrie McClelland. 2/5/13

D. Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel #5. Author born in Glossop, Derbyshire, England. 3/1/13

E. Remember Ben Clayton by Stephen Harrigan #4. Book set in Texas and Europe. 4/20/13

F. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro #6. Character Mr. Farrady. 4/25/13

G. The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory #1. Author's last name is Gregory. 5/16/13

H. Inferno by Dan Brown #4. One of the book's settings is Harvard University. 6/9/13

I. Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks #6. Character Ian McHugh. 6/12/13

J. The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley #6. Character Jack Butler. 7/5/13

K. The Dark Monk by Oliver Pötzsch #6. Character Jakob Kuisl. 7/29/13

L. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory #4. One of the book's settings is London, England. 8/2/13

M. The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory #6. Character Margaret of Anjou. 8/4/13

N. The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory #6. Character Anne Neville 8/9/13

O. The Beggar King by Oliver Pötzsch #3 Author's first name, Oliver begins with O. 8/31/13

P. A Separate Peace by John Knowles #6 Character Phineas. 9/8/13

Q. The Queen's Devotion: The Story of Queen Mary II by Jean Plaidy #2 First word of title Queen's begins with Q. 9/8/13

R. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran #4 The book is set in Rome. 9/26/13

S. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks #5 The author was born and raised in Sydney, Australia. 10/5/13

T. The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence #6 Tom Brangwen is the patriarch of the family depicted in this book. 10/5/13

U. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson #6 Ursula Todd is the main character. 10/9/13

V. The Violets of March by Sarah Jio #2 Violets is the first word in the title and begins with V. 10/11/13

W. War Brides by Helen Bryan #2 War is the first word in the title and begins with W. 10/19/13

X. Fatherland by Robert Harris #6 The main character is Xavier March, whose first name begins with X. 10/23/13

Y. Villette by Charlotte Brontë #5. Author born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England. 11/9/13

Z. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton #4. One of the main characters is Zeena Frome, whose name begins with Z. 11/23/13

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments Nice you could get so many to fit!

I'm going to ask one question though, sorry. Does Inferno count as historical fiction? I haven't read this Dan Brown book, but have read two other Robert Langdon books, and they were contemporary. Not sure the format of the newest book, but just asking the question...

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Rusalka wrote: "Nice you could get so many to fit!

I'm going to ask one question though, sorry. Does Inferno count as historical fiction? I haven't read this Dan Brown book, but have read two other Robert Langdon..."

Rusalka,

I checked all the books to be sure their Goodreads page has Historical Fiction in the Genre section. Inferno is listed as Historical Fiction there. I just checked the other books in this series, and The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons are also listed as Historical Fiction, but The Lost Symbol is not.

If this is not acceptable, I'll have to re-do the group beginning with H. It would have been so much easier if I'd joined the group last year!

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments heh always the way. But if you joined last year, you would have been thinking the same way with the rainbow challenge!

I don't know this answer I'm sorry, I'll have to leave it up to Janice. I'm not sure how she's ruling genres.

I personally don't look at the goodreads genres so I didn't think that may be where you got your info from :) It just was the only thing that I noticed when I had a look. So really what I am doing is being a pain in the bum now I think about it telling you to wait for Janice... sorry!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Rusalka, what do you use as your reference for genres? It seems to be so subjective!

message 6: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:02PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments If Inferno is not accepted in the Historical Fiction genre, here is my alternate list for H through N:

H. The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley #6. Characters Mark and Susan Hallett. 7/5/13

I. In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks #2 First word of title, In Bed With A Highlander. 7/10/13

J. The Dark Monk by Oliver Pötzsch #6. Character Jakob Kuisl. 7/29/13

K. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory #5. Author was born in Kenya. 8/2/13

M. The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory #2. First word of title, The Lady of the Rivers. 8/4/13

N. The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory #6. Character Anne Neville. 8/9/13

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Janice, will you let me know which (if either!) series of books is acceptable for this challenge. If you can accept either alternatives for A-N, I am now reading The Beggar King by Oliver Pötzsch, which will fit #3. Author's first name. After that I will structure my 4th quarter reading to take care of P-Z.

message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:27PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments Oh it's completely subjective. I tend to go on what my own definition is. For me, I would say historical fiction is written about a period of time that the author does not live in. And I find a lot of people rule the same way. Like all your Phillippa Gregory books.

Where as a lot of people would rule (see Dan Brown's) that if it has history in it, it's historical fiction. Even if the book is set in 2010 for example. But i find a lot of the time I personally disagree much more with the goodreads shelves than agree. So I have stopped looking at them.

I read the blurb, ask people who have read it, wiki it, reddit it, goggle it, and make my mind up depending on the info I find. Mainly, I make my mind up as I read, but if it's for a challenge, that makes it harder if I am unsure.

Oh I'm glad you have options to get you through the alphabet otherwise *phew*.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments To be honest, I wouldn't have tagged Inferno a Historical Fiction myself, but when I went through my 2013 books on Goodreads to see if I could even try to meet the challenge, there it was! My personal idea of the genre is pretty much in line with this article by H. Scott Dalton:

What Is Historical Fiction?

I just figured that if the group didn't have a guideline for genres, we would use the genres assigned in Goodreads. I guess I'll just wait for Janice to make a ruling, then make a note for future challenges!

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments I recently read my first book by Philippa Gregory, The Red Queen. I got annoyed by all her whining about her piety and how she deserved so much more. It kept me from enjoying the book. I know she has tons of fans, so I'm not sure if I missed something. Did you like it? Are the rest different?

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I recently read my first book by Philippa Gregory, The Red Queen. I got annoyed by all her whining about her piety and how she deserved so much more. It kept me from enjoying the book. I know she..."

I can honestly say that The Red Queen was one of my least favorite of the Philippa Gregory books I've read. This is the second book in her Cousins' Wars series, and I have read (or rather listened to the audio versions) all of this series except for the newest novel, The White Princess. I liked her Tudor Series better, but I find them all good drive time listening, since my commute has me in the car at least 1 1/2 hours per day.

message 12: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments That's good to hear.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:29PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Janice, will you let me know which (if either!) series of books is acceptable for this challenge. If you can accept either alternatives for A-N, I am now reading The Beggar King by Oliver Pötzsch,..."

Because the book has been shelved by over 200 people as historical fiction as shown on the book's page, you may count it as such for this challenge.

Personally, I don't give much weight to how people have shelved the books because it's surprising how inaccurate they are. Historical fiction to my understanding is a retelling of a historical event or historical person in fictional format. Just because a book is set 50 years in the past, doesn't make it historical fiction. Others would argue that point.

-edit- Actually, I would agree with Dalton as well. just read the article. Thanks for the link.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I recently read my first book by Philippa Gregory, The Red Queen. I got annoyed by all her whining about her piety and how she deserved so much more. It kept me from enjoying the book. I know she..."

I read The White Queen and gave it a whopping 2 stars. I wasn't interested enough to go on to the second book, The Red Queen.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Thanks, Janice. I'll leave my original list intact and move forward from there!

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments You are good to go. Everything looks good to me. No domino effect in play here. :)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Thank you!

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments Exactly! Re: that article.

Meanie #1 has spoken. Sorry for the confusion all :) Maybe I should go do some work...

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Rusalka wrote: "Exactly! Re: that article.

Meanie #1 has spoken. Sorry for the confusion all :) Maybe I should go do some work..."

LOL! I didn't notice that you were confusing things. Your comments are valid and I agree with them. It's just that we'll go with what genres people have shelved the books for ease of determination. I don't want to have to put out fires if someone says, "But Meany 1, it's shelved on Goodreads as HF. How can you disallow it?"

BTW, Theresa, members have named me Meany 1, and Rusalka Meany 2 because we sometimes have to make unpopular rulings. The names are all in fun though... I hope.

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments Completely fair enough!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Thank you, Meanies #1 and #2! The rest of the year will be easier since I can plan my reading. It's much harder to try to retro-fit the books I've read to conform to the rules and keep them in the order in which they were read!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Just finished my "O" book, The Beggar King by Oliver Pötzsch, fitting take #3 - Author's first name, in the Historical Fiction genre.

message 23: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2085 comments What an interesting list. I've just started listening to The Hangman's Daughter- which I'm enjoying so far. I will look forward to your thoughts on your O book. Have you read the others in this series?

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Marnie wrote: "What an interesting list. I've just started listening to The Hangman's Daughter- which I'm enjoying so far. I will look forward to your thoughts on your O book. Have you read the others in this ser..."

Marnie, I've read the first three and just downloaded the fourth to my Kindle. I've enjoyed them, particularly since my grandfather's family came from Germany and I had the opportunity to visit Bavaria a few years ago. I look forward to his upcoming book, The Ludwig Conspiracy since we also visited Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle.

message 25: by Marnie (last edited Sep 01, 2013 12:14AM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2085 comments I have been to that castle too a long time ago but I am going to Munich for Oktoberfest in a few weeks. Just added The Ludwig Conspiracy to my TBR - thank you!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Marnie wrote: "I have been to that castle too a long time ago but I am going to Munich for Oktoberfest in a few weeks. Just added The Ludwig Conspiracy to my TBR - thank you!"

You'll have to visit the Hofbrauhaus when you are in Munich. It's a famous beer hall and a must for October fest. It was February when I was there, so no October fest. But still, I have great memories of that holiday.

message 27: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2085 comments The Hofbrauhaus is definately on our "to do" list. That and a Bayern Munich football ( soccer) game. Traveling, to me, is a lot like reading. I want to explore/ read it all!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I've finished my "P" book, The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi. I'm also 40% done with my "Q" book, The Queen's Devotion.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "I've finished my "P" book, The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi. I'm also 40% done with my "Q" book, The Queen's Devotion."

I see that The Queen's Devotion is the 10th book in a series. Did you read any of the previous books in the series?

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Janice, to be honest, I chose The Queen's Devotion: The Story of Queen Mary II by Jean Plaidy solely to get in a "Q", and the Kindle version was available from my library. It's my first book by that author, but with 2/3 of it read, I can say it was a good choice for me, though, and has kept my interest.

I just checked and there are 11 books in her Queens of England series, but the book numbering is different from the historical sequencing of the queens. My guess is that each book stands on its own.

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments I read Katharine, the Virgin Widow, which is part of Plaidy's Tudor Saga. I really enjoyed it, and would like to make my way through all of her historical fiction. I never knew she was Victoria Holt. I read a lot of her when I was a lot younger.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Jaxnsmom, I've read all of Philippa Gregory's Cousins War and Tudor series. After reading this book by Jean Plaidy, I'll probably read more of hers as well.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Janice, to be honest, I chose The Queen's Devotion: The Story of Queen Mary II by Jean Plaidy solely to get in a "Q.... My guess is that each book stands on its own. ..."

That's what I was wondering. I suspected that each book would focus on one queen.

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments I find I'm getting my time frames and royals mixed up. I think I need a timeline and geneology chart to keep track! Sometimes it seems like every other Queen has the same name, and then throw in the Dowager Queens, and the other titles (Countess, Duchess...) Queens of other countries, and, well, all the names start spinning through my brain.

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I find I'm getting my time frames and royals mixed up. I think I need a timeline and geneology chart to keep track! Sometimes it seems like every other Queen has the same name, and then throw in ..."

Yes, they were fond of bestowing everyone with the same name, weren't they? LOL!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments At least Goodreads has lists with Plaidy's series as they would appear on a timeline. I need a #2 book in a series for another challenge, so I just downloaded Katharine, the Virgin Widow by Jean Plaidy from my library.

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments I noticed that after looking her up. The lists should be very helpful.

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I read Katharine, the Virgin Widow, which is part of Plaidy's Tudor Saga. I really enjoyed it, and would like to make my way through all of her historical fiction. I never knew she was Victoria..."

Wow, she was more than just Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt. She wrote under a lot more names. She was very prolific! I have never heard of her, but was never too interested in the subject matter really, either.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I just realized that The Patience Stone claimed for P doesn't fit in my historical fiction genre. Literary Fiction is listed under Genre on the GR page, but not Historical Fiction.

Fortunately for me, I'd done a lot of listening and reading last weekend! I'd finished The Patience Stone audiobook on Saturday morning and started listening to A Separate Peace immediately after, finishing on Sunday afternoon. On Sunday evening I finished my Q, The Queen's Devotion: The Story of Queen Mary II, which I'd been reading on my Kindle.

Disaster averted, since one of the two main characters in A Separate Peace is Phineas, allowing me to slide that into the P slot.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments I'm glad that worked out for you! :)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I just finished Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, set in Rome, for my R.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I just finished my S book Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, with the author born in Sydney, Australia. I'm now listening to the last few chapters of The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence, which I'll claim tonight for T, since the book is about the Brangwen Family, of which the patriarch is Tom Brangwen.

This coming week I'll be listening to Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which I'll claim for U. Ursula Todd is the main character of that one.

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I am facinated at how you have woven all of the letters together for this task, Theresa. You read some great books too! Wonderful challenge.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I'm now through U and reading my V book, The Violets of March by Sarah Jio. W, Y, and Z should be easy. I just need to find an X that's historical fiction.

message 45: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Hey Theresa - I was looking for an X book for you. This one jumped out at me and I added it to my list. hahaha. (did you see my comment to you in my thread?)
Ex-Libris

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments V is covered by The Violets of March, which I just finished. Only 4 to finish by the end of the year!

message 47: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2085 comments What did you think of your v book? I read it and it drove me crazy that the author screwed up the Bainbridge references ( I live on Bainbridge). That is all I remember from the book :)

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8303 comments All I remember about Violets is wanting more of the diary story, and less of the actual one :)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Marnie, I liked The Violets of March, but though I've been to Seattle a couple of times, I know nothing of Bainbridge. It was just the kind of book I like for a quick light read. As Jaxnsmom said, it would have been nice, though, to have more of the diary story.

message 50: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Oct 19, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I just posted War Brides War Brides by Helen Bryan by Helen Bryan for my W, so only 3 more to go. My X will either be The Exiles The Exiles (The Australians, Vol. 1) by William Stuart Long (The first word of the title starts with Ex) or Like Water for Chocolate Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (setting for both the book and author are Mexico.) I probably won't get to that until November.

« previous 1