Literary Horror discussion

Authors > Avalon Brantley

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments http://wormwoodiana.blogspot.ba/2017/...
Not the most impressive or insightful write-up, but hopefully it will convince more folks to read The House of Silence.
I thought that novel fantastic and very much removed from the contemporary weird fiction norms. I'd argue that it is every bit as indebted to Machen as it is to Hodgson.

message 2: by Paul (last edited Oct 19, 2017 08:11AM) (new)

Paul | 75 comments Oh, it really is very good.

Not two works of Brantley are at all alike, at least from what I've managed to read so far. And I mean it in pretty much every conceivable way.
That also means that I can't say that I've honestly enjoyed all of it, but I can certainly appreciate just how willing she was to experiment, and how far she could push herself. I think I'll add a quote from the opening of her long prose-poem-faux holy text-thing from And the Whore is This Temple later, just to illustrate the point.

Here:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8844...
30-or-so pages of this, each containing two columns of tightly typed text. And no, those spellings ain't mine.
No bloody idea what to make of it, but it sure is... something.

message 3: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 62 comments ^Wish I could afford that thing (or recent Ex Occidente releases in general). :(

It would be nice if some other press like Tartarus (they already did some reprints of more expensive releases from the likes of Ex Occidente) could do more widely available edition of her novel.

message 4: by Caleb.Lives (last edited Oct 24, 2017 09:14AM) (new)

Caleb.Lives | 45 comments Truth be told, that would be one damn expensive and elaborate in-joke, not to mention its extremely limited audience given the small reach of these Ex Occidente and Zagava volumes. Weeks after her death, her father placed her private collection of books on sale, said collection containing hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of volumes, all priced below their usual second hand prices. Also, she was present on weird fiction communities like TLO for some time.

I would actually like for that to be true, that she was just an alias and that whoever was behind said alias is alive and well, because I really enjoyed her writing. But somehow, I really doubt it. Who knows though.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments From the wee booklet (its very end) by Alcebiadez Diniz, one that you oughta received with your copies of "The House of Silence":

"Not by chance, one of Avalon’s last testimonies makes it very clear that she, like Blanqui and Nietzsche (or Borges), believed in the infinite plurality of worlds, of existences, of lives. In one of these plural worlds she continues to build her work, sung by aoidosand other vagabonds or poets like the songs of a close brother, Homer."

Hmmm.

Really, I do wish that Brantley was someone's Fiona MacLeod.

message 6: by Neutrino (last edited Oct 31, 2017 09:42AM) (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 62 comments Jonas from Zagava wasn't at all impressed by this talk at Worwoodiana, he even went on and cancelled one writer's contribution to Zagava's new anthology because he engaged in the Brantley-related gossip there.

Ugh, weird fiction community seems to be too prone to pointless drama nowadays.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments Mark Valentine wrote that her contribution arrived way back in january. Anthology in question has been in the works for some time now.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments From the upcoming "Neo-Decadence" anthology from Snuggly:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2vn1i0y.png
Must... control... cynicism.