All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > October 2013 - Fiction Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:22PM) (new)

Hi :-)

We are now taking nominations for the October 2013 Group Fiction Read.

The 'rules' are:

- One nomination per person
- First ten 'seconded' nominations will be put in a poll where members can vote on their choice.
- The book should be fiction but should not be a 'classic' novel, as we have a separate bi-monthly classics read.
- The book nominated should be available in paperback form.

This thread will remain open until 4th September or until 10 seconded nominations are made. The poll will be open from 5th September until 15th September and the winner will be announced on the 16th September.

The Fiction read does not have to tie in to the bi-monthly theme challenge.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask on this thread :-)

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11973 comments Mod
Charbel wrote: "How about The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud?"

I thought that was non-fiction Charbel.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Charbel wrote: "How about The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud?"

Sorry that's non-fiction!

I forgot to say, the book should be fiction but doesn't include classics. It also doesn't need to tie in to the bi-monthly theme challenge. I'll add this to post #1.

message 5: by Charbel (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2690 comments Alannah wrote: "Charbel wrote: "How about The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud?"

I thought that was non-fiction Charbel."

Sorry, wrong thread. Deception Point by Dan Brown

message 6: by Sangita (new)

Sangita Mazumder (lavanyaray) | 73 comments I started reading The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch but had to stop halfway. It's an amazing mix of mystery romance and spiritual ideas. Can I suggest this book as a nomination?

message 7: by Lara (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:24PM) (new)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Great choices so far everyone! :-)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lavanya wrote: "I started reading The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch but had to stop halfway. It's an amazing mix of mystery romance and spiritual ideas. Can I suggest this book as a nomination?"

Of course :-)

message 10: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 206 comments I would like to nominate a book that has been on my to read list since 5yrs: The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch, whom is considered one of the greates modern Dutch writer.
He died last year and this book is one of his most remarkable novel. This is a short extract out of the first pages:

“If written in the three-letter words of the four-letter alphabet,a human being is determined by a genetic narrative long enough to fill the equivalent of 500 Bibles.In the meantime human beings have discovered this for themselves. They have uncovered our profoundest concept -- namely, that life is ultimately reading.”

message 11: by Sangita (new)

Sangita Mazumder (lavanyaray) | 73 comments Becca wrote: "Lavanya wrote: "I started reading The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch but had to stop halfway. It's an amazing mix of mystery romance and spiritual ideas. Can I suggest this book as a nomination?"

Of cou..."

Thank you Becca. I am nominating The Unicorn then, by Iris Murdoch. I would have linked the book and the author but since I am connected through my cell phone its not really possible. Hope that won't matter..:)

message 12: by Sangita (new)

Sangita Mazumder (lavanyaray) | 73 comments Elisa wrote: "I would like to nominate a book that has been on my to read list since 5yrs: The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch, whom is considered one of the greates modern Dutch writer.
He died last year a..."

Great choice Elisa:)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

@Elisa - great choice! It looks really interesting.

@Lavanya - No not linking it doesn't matter at all :-) your choice also looks interesting!

message 14: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 364 comments Mod
Judy wrote: "How about Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill?"

Great book!

message 15: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 206 comments @ Becca and Lavanya: thanks, I really hope so! It is my boyfriend's favourite and he keeps on insisting that I should read it. And I want to, but somehow I always start something else :)

message 16: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2690 comments Elisa wrote: "I would like to nominate a book that has been on my to read list since 5yrs: The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch, whom is considered one of the greates modern Dutch writer.
He died last year a..."

That sounds like something I would enjoy.

Beth (bibliobeth) | 2 comments I'd like to nominate The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. Looks like a good one!

message 18: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 371 comments Close Your Eyes
One of my favorite authors.

message 19: by Pink (last edited Aug 25, 2013 01:20PM) (new)

Pink I'm nominating The Night Circus its been on my TBR for ages and I keep neglecting it each month, though everyone seems to have read it already!

message 20: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
Lara wrote: "Life of Pi by Yann Martel"

I second this title!

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom as it has been glaring at me from my shelf for a while now

message 22: by Kai (new)

Kai Coates (southernbohemian) | 19 comments I nominate The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. It was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2008.

message 23: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I'm seconding The Secret Scripture.

message 24: by Bionic Jean (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:18PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) How about Small Island by Andrea Levy? I know it won the Orange Prize in 2004, plus the Whitbread and some others. Maybe you've all read it already though.

message 25: by Alannah (new)

Pink wrote: "I'm nominating The Night Circus its been on my TBR for ages and I keep neglecting it each month, though everyone seems to have read it already!"

I second this, I don't mind re-reading this.

message 26: by Bionic Jean (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:24PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Pink and Alannah - I also want to read "The Night Circus" and have it out from the library ready to read next. It's the September fiction read for Book Vipers, so anyone in both groups may find they're double-booked so to speak if we have it here too!

message 27: by Pink (new)

Pink Oh I'm joined with the Book Vipers, didn't realise it was next months read, thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes I like it when my book groups double up- especially when I have lots to get through!

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink I also have Small Island, its been sitting on my shelf for years and I haven't gotten around to it yet :(

message 29: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Pink - that's a good point - hadn't thought of that! It would certainly help as I keep thinking, "Oh I want to read that too!" and there's only a finite amount of time for reading.... Plus they're both great groups so we'd probably have 2 lots of great discussion threads going!

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink Yep, although Vipers are reading it for September, but this vote is for October, so technically wouldn't be a double up anyway. I always struggle to think of non classic books to read.

message 31: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Yes they're always more of a challenge for me. I rarely find I've read any of the non-fictions on the list, but usually know a few of the fiction/classic reads suggested.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 74 comments I second The Shock of the Fall

message 33: by Correen (new)

Correen (corrmorr) | 9 comments I nominate Treacherous Paradise by Henning Mankell. I just finished reading, thought it was wonderful, and would love to hear the thoughts of other readers.

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Thanks for sending me the link to the fiction group read nomination discussion. One of the books on my to-read list is Under the Dome because I am watching the tv series right now and would love to read the book later on so I nominate this one. :-)

message 35: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments Small Island is a brilliant read, it's one of my favourite books.

I nominate A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hussain. Been on my to read for ages and picked up a copy at Books for Free last week :)

message 36: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi. A recent one and the debut novel of the author and it looks interesting.

message 37: by Sharla (new)

Sharla Gemma wrote: "Small Island is a brilliant read, it's one of my favourite books.

I nominate A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hussain. Been on my to read for ages and picked up a copy at Books for Free last we..."

I would like to second this nomination since I haven't read it yet and would like to. A Thousand Splendid Suns

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm struggling to decide which book to second let alone which I will chose to read in the final poll!

As there are so many good nominations already I won't add another book but instead I will second Winter in Madrid although I have added Ghana Must Go to my TBR for the future

message 39: by Birgit (new)

Birgit I'd like to nominate Room by Emma Donoghue :)

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Lot's of great nominations here, however, I am tempted to throw one more into the mix, as I've heard great reviews about this one: May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes which won the Women's Prize for Fiction in 2013

message 41: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Jenny wrote: "Lot's of great nominations here, however, I am tempted to throw one more into the mix, as I've heard great reviews about this one: May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes which won the Women's Prize for ..."

That sounds like a very interesting book, Jenny! I'm tempted to second it, but I've been thinking about reading more of Daphne Du Maurier, so I will nominate The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier, as it's one I have never read.

message 42: by Rowena (new)

Dhanaraj wrote: "Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi. A recent one and the debut novel of the author and it looks interesting."

I quite liked it.

message 43: by Rowena (new)

Shirley wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Lot's of great nominations here, however, I am tempted to throw one more into the mix, as I've heard great reviews about this one: May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes which won the Wome..."

I second The House on the Strand!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! I have now returned from my short break to my boyfriends so am able to 'manage' things again ;-)

The first 7 seconded nominations are:

Life of Pi
The Shock of the Fall
The Night Circus
Winter in Madrid
The Secret Scripture
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The House on the Strand

Shirley and myself though that maybe 10 books in a poll would be too many for quite a small group to vote on. What do you all think? Keep it at 10 or lower it to 6 or 8 (7 for this month since they are already decided)?

message 45: by Alannah (new)

Becca wrote: "Hi all! I have now returned from my short break to my boyfriends so am able to 'manage' things again ;-)

The first 7 seconded nominations are:

Life of Pi
The Shock of the Fall
The Night Circus
..."

I think 7 is enough, I do feel that 10 is too much.

message 46: by Pink (new)

Pink I think that looks like a nice list of 7 books, probably about the right amount to vote on :)

message 47: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments I agree, 7 is a fine number. I think you could even get away with less. When there are lots, it might make it difficult for people to vote in the poll. Anything less than 5 would be too low though, I think.

message 48: by Alannah (new)

Gemma wrote: "I agree, 7 is a fine number. I think you could even get away with less. When there are lots, it might make it difficult for people to vote in the poll. Anything less than 5 would be too low though,..."

I agree Gemma. I feel like if there are too many options, I don't know what to vote for and I end up not voting.

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) so are we voting now for the fiction nominations? just curious.

message 50: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Amber wrote: "so are we voting now for the fiction nominations? just curious."

Hi Amber, we'll set the poll up soon, and put a message in the group announcement thread, and then we can all start voting.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.