Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

III. Goodreads Readers > literature that changed your life?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments what book, poem...any type of literature; changed you or heavily impacted you? why?
For me it was Marie Antoinette The Journey by Antonia Frasier. helps me to appreciate all the good things in my life because at any moment it can be taken from you. when I feel like my life is perfect I never forget how quickly it can become a nightmare, as Marie Antoinettes did. it resonated with me so much, infraction that I have a tattoo of Marie Antoinette on my rib cage reaching to my spine.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2164 comments ''The Road Not Taken'' by Robert Frost is a poem I would say inspires me from time to time. I consider myself someone who likes to do things or take the roads less traveled on and I always attribute it to the poem. It makes a great poem but tells a good message as well.

message 3: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments Profound...
For me it's the authors whose writing just literally stops me because it is so rich so evocative.
Herzog by Saul Bellow. Dang. A page or two and I.d have to stop.
Almost all of Colette because her descriptions put me right in the room with the characters and I could see the colors, the way sunlight fell on a rug...and this is in translation!
The kind of book you finish and say "dang I am never going to write something this fine."
Kate Vaiden by Reynolds Price. It was spotlighted in Vanity Fair...like eight or ten paragraphs...and I put down the magazine and thought "oh my God, American literature is not dead! And the whole book did not disappoint.

Oh and lest we forget "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cather. Words fail me. Moving deep as a river in full flood....OMG

message 4: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments ...moving deep as a river in full flood...nice.

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Lane (leighmlane) | 152 comments The work that most recently moved me in a profound way was The Last Report On The Miracles At Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich. It's just brilliant.

message 6: by Garrison (new)

Garrison Kelly (cybador) Of all the stories I’ve read since becoming a born-again bookworm in 2009, two of them continue to haunt me to this day: “Once Upon a Nightwish” by Mape Ollila and “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky.

If you’re a fan of Nightwish, you don’t just listen to the music; you fall in love with the members. Men want Tarja and women want the remaining male members of the band (particularly Tuomas). If you feel this strongly about the band, then reading “Once Upon a Nightwish” will tear your heart up. In 2005, Tarja was released from the band due to “diva behavior” and “monetary issues”. The feud between her and the rest of the band was heart-wrenching to read about. Ever since that tragic year, Tarja has pursued a solo career while Nightwish found a new singer named Anette and put out albums of their own.

With “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, you read about teenagers who embark on these emotional and romantic adventures together as they form friendships with each other. Reading this book makes me regret not “participating” in life when I was younger. I never went to the prom, I’ve never been on a date before, and the few friends I had back then don’t maintain contact with me as of now. I try to salvage what I can of the future and present, but so far, no dice.