Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Speculative Fiction > Genesis: Book One of The Kingdom Come Series

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wade (last edited Sep 08, 2013 10:13PM) (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Genesis Book One of The Kingdom Come Series by Wade Garret Wade Garret

It's available on the Black Bed Sheet Books' website as well as Amazon.com in both paper and a variety of digital formats for easy download.

On Amazon you can preview the first few chapters:
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Book-Ki...

Now it should work. :P

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) The GoodReads description sounds interesting. I hope it does great.

It might just be me, but the link on your post doesn't work for me -- it just takes me back to the GoodReads homepage instead of to your amazon page. : )

message 3: by Wade (last edited Sep 08, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Thank you so much.

About the link...Hmmmm?

You're right. I've just tried to set in the link to amazon twice and it did the same exact thing. I must be doing something wrong

message 5: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments First review on Amazon:

MaryAnn-

Garret's characters are memorable and compelling, and his creativity and originality within the fantasy genre makes him a remarkable storyteller. This one is a keeper. Wade Garret delivers the key elements of great science fiction: an authentic and detailed future-world; realistic, relatable characters to live in it; and a taut, thoughtful story. Garret's supple, muscular writing is the icing on the cake.

The scene setting and storytelling are so detailed that I felt like I woke up after dreaming in the beginning of the story and walked alongside the characters. I love how the story unfolds like an elaborate piece of origami. If you are looking for a story you can really get lost in with characters you feel like you know then buy this book now. You won't be sorry.

message 6: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Thanks for the recommendation:

http://www.darkmediaonline.com/

message 7: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Second review on Amazon:

rhondap-

This is his first book published? I am impressed! A lot of action and an entire list characters that bring emotion to a fantastic and dark plot. Looking forward to more from Jak and company.

message 8: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Third and Forth Amazon review:

E.W-
Ok so I have to say I'm not a huge science-fiction/fantasy person, but this book definitely has made me think twice about my reading list. One of the best books I've read in a long time! It took me some time to get thru it because I'm not use to the flow of a fantasy story but I loved the overall story. This writer has a way of making the reader feel very invested in the characters. The heroes you will absolutely love and find yourself shouting out loud when they come upon misfortune and the villains you will love as well with their extreme complexity nothing is quite what it seems. A very involved and in-depth story from start to finish, I was so sad when I reached the end but I'm so excited for the second book to come out. I can't wait to see where this story goes. Not a book for the faint of heart, but I have no doubt that most geeks out there will love this book. I have been converted, so glad I picked this one up!!! Happy reading!

NGreen-
I am not usually one for reading the longer Sci-Fi novels, but Genesis was definitely worth time. Garret really does a great job providing the physical and social landscape of this world. Fantastic imagination went into the different classes of people, especially of the Arete. The characters and relationships in this book are another great strength. I give the book 4 stars because Garret has created a compelling and complex story that will leave you wanting more, but there are some editorial issues that keep it from perfect. I am certainly waiting for the next book in this series.

message 9: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Fifth Amazon Review:

Erin Keahey-
Wonderful world you can sink your teeth into. Story telling executed in a fantastic style that makes you want to keep reading. The characters jump off the page and make you believe in their journey. Good till the end. When is the next one?

message 10: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments The Finalized World Map is UP!!
http://wjgarret.blogspot.com/

Genesis Book One of The Kingdom Come Series by Wade Garret

@wadejgarret
WadeGarret@FB

message 11: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Amazon Review by Cthulhu-Master Author, P. Rawlik—

Genesis is a magnificent debut and something Wade Garret should be proud of. The scope is reminiscent of some of the epic series of the 70s and 80s, and will draw comparisons to Dune and the Wheel of Time. Garret has created a grand example of world building, full of a fascinating landscape, people and technology that should serve him well in the future as he returns to it in future installments. His characters are rich and well-developed, and their motivations are clear and reasonable. The combination of setting and characters creates an enjoyable and exciting tale that draws the reader in and won't let them go.

However, in the interest of balance there are some sections of the book that drag, and it could use a good editor to deal with some grammatical and structural issues, but these are minor and really do not detract from the book. Wade Garret should be pleased with himself and readers of SF should watch for his future releases.

message 12: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Second Kindle Review

Jayra-

Wade Garret's Genesis: Book One of the Kingdom Come is one of the most epic sci-fi books I've read this year. The characters are so realistic that they almost feel tangible. Although I feel that the dialogue can be improved (I think it's just me not being used to dialogue written like this), the characters' personalities are something I can actually associate with, which is great.

Though the novel is quite long, Garret's talent made me flip through my e-reader like a steam engine, almost non-stop, and I finished the book in a few days. However, the prologue with Black didn’t really catch my attention as much as the actual first chapter did, but I’m pretty glad that I didn’t drop the novel as the chapters after the prologue makes up for it.

With each scene painted in full colours and vividness, I can imagine each event happening in my head. If you like books with great detail, you will like how Garret explained his world from how the buildings line up on the road to how some characters choose to wear their clothing.

Even though I'm not usually a fan of past tense and third-person in writing, I was still astounded by the amount of detail and effort put in the making of this novel. The different point of views of the characters were confusing at first, when views switched from character to character, but I got used to it, and truth be told, I actually liked it.

All in all, this is one novel sci-fi fans shouldn't miss. Thanks Garret for sharing your story with us and I'm looking forward to the second book.

message 13: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments First B&N Review!

Anonymous-

A hefty read but amazing and well-worth it. Just the fact that I finished it speaks volumes that I was pulled in that far. And, come to think of it, I can't wait for the rest as this promises to be a monumental series. Bravo, Mr. Garret! Five grand stars.

message 14: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Reviewed By Ray Simmons for Readers’ Favorite

I am in awe of anyone who even decides to attempt a tale this big. I am even more in awe of someone who completes at least one book in such a saga. If Wade Garret can complete the entire Kingdom Come series he may well take his place among the literary gods of epic fantasy fiction. Genesis is book one of the Kingdom Come series and Wade Garret sets the tone and whets our appetite for the rest of the tale. At almost three hundred and fifty pages, Genesis is a tale unto itself. Yet the saga is just beginning and we can anticipate a long and exciting journey. William and Jak are the Father-Son team at the center of Genesis. They are farmers working their own plot of land in a land and economy clouded by war. When William disappears for a year without warning or explanation, we have to conclude that there is more to this farmer than meets the eye.

Genesis is such a huge tale and there are so many interesting characters that you can become completely engrossed with the story before you realize it. The writing is lyrical and Wade Garret paints the world and the people with a colorful yet deft stroke. Jak and his father William are likable characters, characters that are easy to care about, but it helps that the bad guys are so wickedly evil. This is classic good versus evil at its finest. I can't wait for the next book.

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley McLain (shirleymclain) | 57 comments Sounds like something I would like to read :)

message 16: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Amazon: M.R Collins-

Complex and compelling. Diving into this book is diving into a complete world already served and delivered. The world in which Wade Garret has built is not one that is constructed as you go. It’s hard not to get sucked into the rich and developed story as well as the elaborate and well fleshed out characters. As we follow the main character Jak, the story chugs along, building up momentum and makes it hard to put down
In the beginning you feel a little bombarded with all the little details, but the farther you get those details help guide you through and make it all the more real.
This isn’t a book to expect to read quickly and move on. It’s a fantastic tome of sci-fi/fantasy immersion.

message 17: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Amazon: Sassy-

This book was phenomenal! I am eagerly anticipating the next volume of this series! Wade, hurry it up!!!

The characters are so full of depth, deep dialog, and detail that in reading, I felt I could hear them next to me if I had closed my eyes with their gruff voices. Smell their skin, feel the worn edges of their clothing even. Garret has such a powerful way with description. It really pulls you in, making you ready to turn the pages as fast as you can to get to the next part of the adventure.

The prologue almost lost my attention, but I'm so thankful that I continued to read. It wasn't that the prologue wasn't good, it's that it contained so many facts that my brain was swirling. Almost as if I needed to make a flow chart to keep up. Once I began reading the meat of the book, it all made sense.

Be prepared to be engulfed in this book. Once you start reading, you won’t want to put it book down. You too will crave to know more! My poor Kindle Fire almost couldn’t keep up with me turning pages so quickly!

message 18: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Amazon: Lady Amanuet-

Though I enjoy fantasy it is not a genre I usually default to. Genesis was recommended to me by a friend because of our mutual like of Dune. I was very impressed with this debut work! The worlds and characters are richly developed and Garret does a great job of drawing the reader in. I am excited to read the next installment!

I gave this 4 instead of 5 because the complexity of the universe Garret created can be a bit confusing at times and the length can be a bit overwhelming to some.

message 19: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Shirley wrote: "Sounds like something I would like to read :)"

I hope you do. Thanks!

message 22: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Goodreads:Darlene Cruz rated it 5 of 5 stars

Well written and sucked you into the abyss of Sci-Fi. Each character is a character because of the detailed descriptive narrative. Entertaining and intriguing to say the least. Wade Garret caused a confusion here and there switching between characters and gracing us with each characters "going on." but he managed to keep me focus on the storyline and it was well worth it. A bulky book but a good read. Thank you, Darlene Cruz I won this book from Goodreads First Read Giveway.

message 23: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Goodreads Giveaway!

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

Plus REDUCED PRICE on Amazon.

message 25: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 155 comments Goodreads review-

Author Dave-Brendon Burgh
Dec 03, 2015 4 of 5 stars

Wade has written a considered and carefully crafted tale here, one that merges different genres not only well but in interesting and exciting ways.

He allows his characters to grow in the reader's mind, giving them to space and time to continuously define themselves, while also expanding and exploring the world they live in without dumping info on the reader or bogging down the narrative.

His tale also creates new cultures and magic while subtly twisting our own history, so don't be surprised if you read about something that sounds familiar.

My only issue is that the book is a slow read, but that may be because I'm used to reading fast paced tales - one thing is for sure: this is a novel that builds subtly and consistently, showing Wade to be a writer and storyteller who has great control and a vast imagination.

Looking forward to reading more from this author!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Genesis (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wade Garret (other topics)