Goodreads Ireland discussion

Stuff Worth Sharing > Podcasts of Interest

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll download that and have a listen as I walk my dog this evening.

message 2: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Thanks, Allan. I love Mariella Frostrup's podcasts, and now that my school commute is starting again, it'll be the perfect way to ease into that trek again. Can't wait to give it a listen.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "I just listened to the show and it's absolutely brilliant! Barbara-with your knowledge of and interest in the city, I know you will love it. We get a brief mention of Eureka Street-apparently Patte..."

I can't wait to listen to it. Fat Lad is another book on my shelves I have to read. I'll try downloading it tonight. Thanks!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments On my iPhone (no my phone but a friend gave it to me when he upgraded) the most recent episode is Aug. 11th. I'll keep trying.

message 5: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Allan wrote: "Cathleen-Mariella Frostup Is an excellent broadcaster, on both TV and radio-I was so annoyed to hear that her Sky Arts TV The Book Show had been cancelled, but Open Book is definitely the best! I l..."

This may sound weird, Allan, but as much as I respect Sam Tanenhaus as a writer and historian, I wasn't as keen listening to him. There was something about his voice--maybe too nasally or something? I'll definitely look for his "writer-at-large" pieces, though, and I think that will be a benefit to the NYTimes. When the newspaper made the announcement, they wrote that he would take a Richard Hofstadter approach to writing historical/political long-form journalism, and that he would serve as the paper's "public intellectual." That's good news because I think the US needs a revival of the public intellectual, someone given wide latitude to write broadly and deeply about culture, politics, and history. I think Pamela Paul will do a good job; she's made some good additions to the book review since she started there. I really like the "By The Book," feature with authors she's started. And...this will surely sound trivial, but I like the opening music of the podcast now much better :) What do you think of the change?

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "Cathleen-Mariella Frostup Is an excellent broadcaster, on both TV and radio-I was so annoyed to hear that her Sky Arts TV The Book Show had been cancelled, but Open Book is definitely the best! I l..."

Oh wow! On iTunes I found a long list of the episodes but it is about 2 weeks behind.
BTW I love this podcasts thread and all the recommendations.

message 7: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Allan wrote: "Cathleen-I was so used to Tannenhaus having listened from the very start of the podcast, that it has taken me a little while to get used to Paul. Tannenhaus does have a really distinctive voice, I ..."

Hi Allan, Here are some podcasts I think you'd like. They're not all about books, but all of them are good accompaniment to my commute. I'm behind with all of them (summer!) but that'll change this week.

--All in the Mind from Australia National Radio. It's all about psychology, the mind, cognitive science, etc., but for a general audience. She's on break now until October, but there are a ton of really interesting previous podcasts.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/p...

--Booklust with Nancy Pearl. She's a librarian from Seattle who's gotten national recognition for her advocacy of literacy, public libraries, writers, etc. She interviews one author a month, and she's really warm and enthusiastic, a real fan of the authors she invites. http://www.seattlechannel.org/BookLust/

--Conversations with Richard Fidler from ABC local radio. He interviews mostly Australians from all walks of life every weekday. I think he's one of the most well-informed, best interviewers I've ever heard. Lots of times I start listening, don't really think the topic/guest appeals to me--and then, before I know it, I've listened to the whole podcast. http://www.abc.net.au/local/sites/con...

--The Penguin Podcast. It's a little quirky. Sometimes I think they have a whole mishmash of things associated with books; other times, they have a theme. It's not as polished as The Guardian Book or Open Book podcast, but it's still good. http://thepenguinpodcast.co.uk/podcast/

Thinking Allowed from BBC Radio 4. You probably already know about this one, but I really like it. It's a weekly podcast about sociology and culture. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qy05

I definitely don't keep up with all of them, but since there's such variety, I'm always certain I'll have something to listen to on the work commute.

I also see that there are new (to me) TED talks on education, and society/culture. I'll probably check those out, too. They look interesting--interesting guests.

So--is this your first week back to school? Have a good start to the year!

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I am listening to the podcast now with Glenn Patterson. I went and ordered a copy of "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young" - nabbed it for $5.99 with shipping. I love that Glenn says he loves the noisiness of the city. I agree! I'm only 11 minutes in:)

message 9: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I listened to the podcast with Mariella Frostrup and Glenn Patterson, and it was wonderful. I want to read "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young," now, too. Where did you order it, Barbara?

I loved how they went to the different neighborhoods of the city. I could really get a sense of the surroundings by how they described them--and the section with No Alibis was fantastic. Asking the kids what they had read was a great touch.

Now, for some reason, I feel like going to a pub :)

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Cathleen wrote: "I listened to the podcast with Mariella Frostrup and Glenn Patterson, and it was wonderful. I want to read "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young," now, too. Where did you order it, Barbara?

..."

The it has to be John Hewitt's! That is the "literary" pub. My profile pic is in front of another Belfast pub - Mc Hugh's which Allan recognized right away:)

message 11: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Barbara wrote: "Cathleen wrote: "I listened to the podcast with Mariella Frostrup and Glenn Patterson, and it was wonderful. I want to read "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young," now, too. Where did you order..."

That's great. For some reason, I always thought you were standing in front of a bookshop!

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Cathleen wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Cathleen wrote: "I listened to the podcast with Mariella Frostrup and Glenn Patterson, and it was wonderful. I want to read "The Mill for Grinding Old People Young," now, too. Whe..."

LOL - maybe I can show that photo to students if it looks like a bookstore and not a pub.

message 13: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Just subscribed to the Mariella one, thanks.

I'm always on the lookout for a decent audoibooks Podcast, but am yet to find one. I subscribed to the Audiobook Nerds podcast recently, but I find all the presenters terribly irritating.

I love Kermode & Mayo too (Hello to Jason Isaacs!).

Other favourites are:
Jonathan Goldstein's Wiretap
Film Fandango
Stuff you should know
Documentaries on One - RTE Documentaries
Friday night comedy from BBC radio 4
The Guardian Books Podcast

And the recently discovered "We're alive", a Zombie Apocalypse audio drama presented as a weekly Podcast. http://www.zombiepodcast.com/

I used to LOVE the Adam and Joe podcast, which isn't aired at the moment but there are still archives. http://www.adamandjoe.com/downloads/b... Same goes for the Dave Gorman Podcast.

Damn, I should be on my way to work.....

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Aug 27, 2013 05:16AM) (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "Having passed through the same doors many times over the years, Barbara, the setting looked very familiar but I had to confirm the location with you! I haven't been in McHugh's in a while, but I wa..."

Ah yes, The Emperor of Ice Cream was recommended at the summer course at Queens, and Glenn Patterson was one of our lecturers. He's been in DC for the Irish Writers Festival which last happened in 2011. He's a hoot, as we Americans say (lots of fun). He was here in 2010 and was in a discussion with Nick Laird moderated by Chris Agee, editor of Irish Pages about being a Northern Irish writer. It was brilliant and I wish it had been recorded (sadly it wasn't). Agee is an American who has lived in NI for a few decades as he married a local, and an awesome poet.

Edited to add: Nick Laird commented that in England, where he lives (he's married to Zadie Smith), he is labeled "an Irish poet" but a "British writer". Part of the schizophrenic reality of being from NI sometimes.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

@Johnl. I love the fact that there's a Zombie Apocolypse podcast out there. I used to like The Adam and Joe Show and I enjoy Dave Gorman's stand-up, do I might give them a go.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I loved Glover's Mistake. Yes, Glenn is loud, a bit of a party animal, and likes to be a bad boy.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked quite a lot if Skinner's stand up, but I'd draw a line between his typical laddish gags and his smutty nonsense that made no real effort a comedy beyond the smut itself.

I think I might really enjoy those podcasts, Allan. Thanks for the share.

message 18: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Allan wrote: "John / Declan, if you're looking for a brilliant comedy podcast, go for 'The Frank Skinner Show'

Cool. Will do. I've enjoyed a lot of stuff Frank has done on TV.

By the way I just heard of a new Irish Radio Book Show on the way in Autumn.

Watch this space:
https://twitter.com/BookShowRTE
https://twitter.com/sineadgleeson

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooh! I think I'll enjoy that.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

A was talking about to a friend the other day. He thought Hinds was Welsh.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'll download the Steinbeck one for my dog walks.

Thanks, Allan.

message 22: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Allan wrote: "A new podcast to me, from the site that Sara posted a link to an article on last week-Book Riot.

I've listened to #18 and 19 of the podcast, and they are excellent-almost like an extended episode ..."

Thank you, Allan. I'll look forward to listening!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I've already downloaded it, Allan. I'll be listening to it during the morning's dog-walk.

message 24: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) Allan wrote: "A new podcast to me, from the site that Sara posted a link to an article on last week-Book Riot.

I've listened to #18 and 19 of the podcast, and they are excellent-almost like an extended episode ..."

Cool, thanks. Will check it out.

Btw I started listening to the Frank Skinner Podcast you recommended. Took a little bit for me to warm up to the dynamic of all the presenters but then found myself laughing out loud several times. Good stuff.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Excellent! I need new podcasts and have too few that are literary.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Declan wrote: "I've already downloaded it, Allan. I'll be listening to it during the morning's dog-walk."

Declan -Funny you mentioned dog walks. I was thinking I need new podcasts for when I take myself out for a walk every morning:) I wish I were clever enough to figure out a funny phrase for that. I suppose =taking myself out for a walk - would sound funny to Americans, but probably not to Irish folks.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I used to describe my walks as leisurely strolls, Barbara, and plenty of people 'step outside for air.'

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Great- I found it. Now I have to work out how to subscribe.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Allan wrote: "You might even be able to stream the podcast via the bbc website, Barbara, but if not, and you have the iPhone working yet, it should be easy enough to get via the podcast app. :)"

Thanks! I'll try that.

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate Vane (katevane) Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the information on this thread. I've just listened to a Book Riot podcast and really enjoyed it. I don't have anything to share at the moment that hasn't already been covered but when I do I'll let you know!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Kate. Share and share alike has always been a good motto to live by. :)

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/reso... (Many science fiction and fantasy podcasts) Posting it as a resource in both threads.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
@Allan,

While on my mini-vacation, I finally got a chance to check out the Book Riot podcast. I thoroughly enjoyed it and listened to 8 episodes (Episodes 1 and 2, and episodes 16-21). My favorite part is usually when they recommend audiobooks...let's just say my Audible.com wishlist has grown. The co-presenters are very enthusiastic. I could definitely listen to more Rebecca. Once I've listened to all the episodes of Book Riot, I will definitely checkout Bookrageous. Escape Pod is one of the scifi podcasts listed in the gigantic list I posted a link to, but I'm not sure about StarShipSofa...Definitely two to check out!

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
That looks interesting Allan. It might be the kind of podcast I listen to selected episodes of rather than every episode.

message 35: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Allan wrote: "If anyone is interested, one of the books featured on this week's episode of 'A Good Read' from Radio 4 is Kevin Myers' memoir, 'Watching the Door', about life in 1970s Belfast, a book that I found..."

I'll have to check that out, Allan. Thanks for posting. I've been listening to books now on my commute, so I've fallen a bit behind on the podcast listening.

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I have the book Watching the Door on my shelves - should read it soon.

message 37: by Allan (new)

Allan If anyone's interested, the latest episode of Open Book is a Bernard MacLaverty special. MacLaverty is originally from Belfast, in case you don't know, but now lives in Scotland. I really enjoyed listening to this earlier!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp6p

message 38: by Allan (new)

Allan The latest episode of Book Club on Radio 4 is about Lee Child's first Jack Reacher novel. I haven't listened to it yet, as it's just downloading, but isn't this the character that Tom Cruise played on screen? I'll be interested to hear if that's mentioned!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5sf

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Having seen the movie and read one Reacher novel I can say I'm not a fan. This might be Susan's cup of tea. She's a big fan of the one-man, whoop-ass machine.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

He was a little too perfect to take seriously. He was 6"4', built like a tank, brilliantly clever and just a little to morally upstanding.

I found Captain America to be more realistic.

message 41: by Serf (new)

Serf I enjoyed the film with Tom cruise I must say but that might be because I enjoy some films with a bit of cheese on top. The one liners were priceless. But I don't think I could read the books. He's a one man army out to save the world one crime at a time.

message 42: by Allan (new)

Allan This Guardian Books podcast features Sinead Morrissey talking about her literary heroines.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/audi...

message 43: by Allan (new)

Allan Not a podcast, per se, but Radio 4's current 'Book At Bedtime' is Jonathan Lethem's 'Dissident Gardens', and should be available to listen online, if anyone is interested!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03qh...

message 44: by Allan (new)

Allan Book Riot have just launched a spinoff podcast called 'Dear Book Nerd'.

http://bookriot.com/2014/01/23/dear-b...

message 45: by Serf (new)

Serf I love it Alan, those are two questions I needed answers to myself lol

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Less TV and less internet really goves you a lot more time to read. I'll make 100 books pretty easily this year. Double my usual target.

message 47: by Serf (new)

Serf That's very true Declan, after a 12 hour shift though I pick up a book and within minutes I'm asleep so I keep the tv watching to those nights mainly.

message 48: by Allan (new)

Allan I remember John posting about the RTE Book Show that was being mentioned via twitter a few months ago. It just came into my head there, so I did a search, and found that it's been broadcasting since November!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-book-sho...

I'm now in the process of downloading the complete archive. A perfect companion podcast for Goodreads Ireland, I wonder? :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

@Seraphina. One of the things I've always olved about reading was how it helped me unwind so I could drift off to sleep. And after a twelve-hour shift, you probably needed it.

@Allan. It looks good, Allan. I hate to say it, but it looks surprisingly good. Sometimes I worry that RTE take a good idea and churn out a two-bit farce. I'll only listen occasionally, though. I'm devoting my headphones time to audiobooks. It's all your fault, really.

message 50: by Allan (new)

Allan Lol, Declan, I can only take joint credit with John for your audiobook conversion, but I'll continue to be evangelical about their worth all the same! I haven't listened to any of the RTE podcasts yet, but will be dipping in during my Tesco visit tomorrow. You're right, though, it does look like a top show!

« previous 1 3