Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Hi...new here!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Welcome Joy! Every author you listed is just about a favorite of mine. I look forward to hearing what you think of individual titles.

message 2: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Hi, Joy! You'll like it here at good reads... it's a lot of fun, and this historical christian fiction group rocks the house! :-D Have you read Tracie Peterson's book "A Lady of High Regard" and/or "A Lady of Hidden Intent"? I just borrowed a lady of hidden intent from the library today, and I plan to read it soon!

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Charmaine, you make me smile.

message 4: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Margaret wrote: "Charmaine, you make me smile. "

Awww, thanks Margaret! :-) You're an awesome person! ;-)

message 5: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Kate wrote: "Welcome Joy! :) It sounds like we have a lot of authors we like in common; Lauraine Snelling and Janette Oak are my two favorites though I confess :) You will really enjoy this group, we have gre..."

I've been wanting to read the Bachelor's Bargain! It sounds good! :-) Hopefully I can read that book and the other one in the series now that I have a break from school.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Both fabulous titles!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I completely forgot about The Bachelor's Bargain being out! Good reminder.

Welcome Joy! It's a fun group to be in. I agree that you get tons of ideas to read certain books here.

Charmaine, you picked some good books! I love that author! I have read tons of Tracie Peterson's books and she's great.

And if you like historical fiction/jane austin. Debra White Smith has her Jane Austen series out. It's set in contemporary times, but she re-writes each novel and gives the character's different names, but it's essentially the same struggles that each love encounter faces in Jane Austen's books

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Tell me more about the Debra White Smith ones??

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments She loves Jane Austen. She even has a book out entitled How Jane Austen taught me about love and romance or something like that. She'll take each novel, like Pride and Prejudice, for instance, and will take each character and re-name them. In the beginning of the book she will tell you the orignial character's name and the one she uses in the book. And it essentially has the same plot, with a modern day twist. Like In First Impressions, she has the two characters who are supposed to be Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth, are both lead characters in the play of Pride and Prejudice and sparks fly! Reason and Romance is Sense and Sensibility, Amanda is Emma,Possibilities is persuasion, Central Park is Mansfield Park, and the last one is Northpointe Chalet which is Northanger Abbey. I haven't read the last two yet, but i love debra White Smith and Jane Austen and liked them alot

message 10: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments I haven't read Jane Austen's books either, but I definitely want to. :-) Like Joy said, I'd like to read Debra White Smith's books if I like Jane Austen's books.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahdumas) I've read all of her Jane Austen books,
They're great! She does take some liberties with the story, but only to make it "fit" in modern day :)

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy (crittyjoy) | 1 comments Oh I love Debra White Smith's Jane Austen series.... I am an Austen fan and it was a fun way to update her books :)

I enjoyed reading everyone's thought and I am adding some books to my list :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Jane Austen was how I got started reading the classics. Her characters are always different than the female characters usually were during her day. She gives her females more independence and kinda got political in her day. I know tons more on her because I wrote a paper on her and have read several books on her! I'm a nerd in that sense! But, yes I would recommend you read her books before you read Debra White Smith's. And like someone said, Debra White Smith does take some liberties with the storyline, but the essence of the characters stay the same in my opinion.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahdumas) Definitely read the orginal before starting on Debra's books. You'll get so much more out of them that way!

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Jennifer thanks for all the explanations and links, it makes finding things so much easier!

I just finished reading Jillian Dare A Novel a contemporary adaptation of Jane Eyre and it was really pretty good.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments ooooooooooo Jane Eyre is my fav!! I'll have to check that out.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

:)