Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Need cover changed

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. (new)

B. Larson (crystal_secrets) | 7 comments Hello,

I need to change the book cover for The Forge (Secret of the Crystal II) as it is no longer with the publisher. I have designed a new cover and need it added to my book.

I have the cover that I can send for upload.

message 2: by Kaye (last edited Aug 25, 2013 08:52AM) (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments You can send it to me.

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Brian, add it to your "more photos" area then Kaye can create the alternate cover edition for you.

message 4: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments Banjomike wrote: "Brian, add it to your "more photos" area then Kaye can create the alternate cover edition for you."

I just directly edited the cover of the book. Is what I did ok?

message 5: by Ewa (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:41AM) (new)

Ewa | 233 comments I suppose you should create edition with alternative cover, if it has the same ISBN then you leave this box empty and add a note in a description like here
http://www.goodreads.com/librarian_ma...
if it has other ISBN, you have also to create new edition.

message 6: by B. (new)

B. Larson (crystal_secrets) | 7 comments The first cover needed to be completely removed as it was copywriter by the former publisher.

Thank's it looks great. I also have added the full size photo in the "more photos" section if it's needed.

Thanks everyone for your quick response on resolving my cover issue.

Brian

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments The book has been published so the general rule is "Don't change the cover, make an alternate cover edition" then the author can set the new cover to be the default and anyone who already has the old book can keep it.

You need a very good reason to change the cover on an existing book.

message 8: by Banjomike (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Brian wrote: "The first cover needed to be completely removed as it was copywriter by the former publisher."

If there are legal aspects involved then you must contact Customer Support. They will assess the changes and add librarian notes which will stop the old cover from being added in the future.

As it stands at the moment I think we would still go for the alternate cover edition option. That way support can completely delete the old book if they feel the need. Either way, you get the new cover.

message 9: by B. (new)

B. Larson (crystal_secrets) | 7 comments The Forge was never published by the Publisher as it was set for Sept 24th release. I pulled it from them and changed the ISBN and cover and published it on Amazon KDP.

message 10: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments Banjomike wrote: "The book has been published so the general rule is "Don't change the cover, make an alternate cover edition" then the author can set the new cover to be the default and anyone who already has the o..."

I see. Gotta correct what I did. I'm sorry.

message 11: by B. (new)

B. Larson (crystal_secrets) | 7 comments Thanks for the clarification. I know what to do if this happens in the future.

message 12: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments I put back the old cover. Now what should we do? Totally change the cover or still the alternative?

message 13: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments Brian wrote: "Thanks for the clarification. I know what to do if this happens in the future."

Should the cover still be changed or should we have the alternative cover edition?

message 14: by B. (new)

B. Larson (crystal_secrets) | 7 comments So were not breaking any rules, lets to the alternate method and I'll contact customer support for their input.

Thanks again!!

message 15: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments Ok. :)

message 16: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (potassiumreads) | 79 comments Here is the alternative cover edition. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

message 17: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Brian wrote: "So were not breaking any rules, lets to the alternate method and I'll contact customer support for their input.

Thanks again!!"

Sensible. The rules are mainly to prevent people messing with book covers and wrecking the shelves that some people put a lot of work into. But we are not paranoid about it and if there is a good reason to remove a cover then it can be done, usually by support since breaking the rules can mean loss of librarian status. It will get fixed.