YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > September 2013 BotM - WINNER - Two Boys Kissing

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Sep 05, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments This thread is for nominations for the YA LGBT book that you would like to see the group read in September 2013.

Anything we haven't already read is welcome. Please post a link to the book, copy the blurb, and give us a few words about why you think this would be a good choice. If it has edgy or potentially 16+ content please also note that - we'd be happy to have it on the list, but want members to be aware.

Books that lost a previous vote can to be nominated again, (and authors are allowed to nominate their own books if they feel moved to do so.)

Nominations will close after a maximum of 12 books are listed, or at the end of the month, before the newsletter goes out, so the poll can be posted.

ETA: And we got eleven nominations!

POLL IS NOW UP: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/89...

Voting will go through Midnight Sept 4th.

And the winner is Two Boys Kissing - discussion thread is here - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... note that there may be spoilers in reviews or comments on the discussion thread.

message 2: by Caoimhe Niamh (new)

Caoimhe Niamh (tridecalogism) | 13 comments Sprout Sprout by Dale Peck by Dale Peck

Blurb (from Goodreads):
How many secrets can you hide in plain sight?

Sprout Bradford has a secret. It’s not what you think—he’ll tell you he’s gay. He’ll tell you about his dad’s drinking and his mother’s death. The green fingerprints everywhere tell you when he last dyed his hair. But neither the reader nor Sprout are prepared for what happens when Sprout suddenly finds he’s had a more profound effect on the lives around him than he ever thought possible. Sprout is both hilarious and gripping; a story of one boy at odds with the expected.

I can't even describe how much I love this book. The characters are so complex, that you never really understand how they think. Sprout matures over the novel, despite being very mature to start with. His relationship with his (sorta) best friend, his (sorta) best friend's boyfriend, and his own guilty conscience is remarkable. I especially love his father and his stumps. Even if it's not picked, it is definitely in my re-read pile.

[Note: 'September' is spelled wrong in the title.]

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Thanks ;) Fixed. And I enjoyed Sprout a lot - a good book for slightly younger teens too IMO.

message 4: by C. (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Luna
Luna Luna by Julie Anne Peters

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Winters (lizwinters) | 15 comments Fearless by Chris O'Guinn Fearless by Chris O'Guinn It'll probably make people cry, but such a great story!

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments C. wrote: "Luna
LunaLuna by Julie Anne Peters"

I'd have sworn we read this, but can't find a thread - maybe it was just nominated. This is one of my favorite M2F trans books.

Blurb: Regan's brother Liam can't stand the person he is during the day. Like the moon from whom Liam has chosen his female namesake, his true self, Luna, only reveals herself at night. In the secrecy of his basement bedroom Liam transforms himself into the beautiful girl he longs to be, with help from his sister's clothes and makeup. Now, everything is about to change-Luna is preparing to emerge from her cocoon. But are Liam's family and friends ready to welcome Luna into their lives? Compelling and provocative, this is an unforgettable novel about a transgender teen's struggle for self-identity and acceptance.

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Liz wrote: "Fearless by Chris O'Guinn Fearless by Chris O'Guinn It'll probably make people cry, but such a great story!"

Blurb
: At fifteen, Justin is already a cynic. He’s experienced too many betrayals, too many disappointments. He doesn’t want to be involved in anything. He doesn’t want to be popular. He doesn’t even want friends anymore, since they only ever let you down. He just wants to get through high school and the best way he can come up with to accomplish that goal is to simply be invisible.

His self-imposed exile from high school life is threatened when Liam, the scary stoner, reaches out to him. What starts out as a strange and unsettling encounter with the unnerving, pot-smoking teenager evolves into the sort of friendship that changes the course of a person’s life.

But as Liam drags the reluctant Justin out of his shell, Liam’s own secret is revealed.

Fearless is the story of the myriad shades of love, how to find one’s courage and the transformative power of friendship.

I really enjoyed his first book, Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture, and this one is on my TBR list.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Perhaps the thread was archived?

I don't believe we've read it. It is also one of my favorite books.

Kaje wrote: "C. wrote: "Luna
LunaLuna by Julie Anne Peters"

I'd have sworn we read this, but can't find a thread - maybe it was just nominated. This is one of my favorite M2F trans books.

Blurb: Regan's brothe..."

message 9: by Karl (new)

Karl | 7 comments I also loved Chris O'Guinn's Fearless- and I did cry at the end. On the other end of the spectrum is a funny, adorable coming of age story Know Not Why by Hannah Johnson by Hannah Johnson.

Blurb-

Howie gets a job at Artie Kraft's Arts 'N Crafts hoping to score with his lady coworkers. After all, girls love a sensitive guy, and what's more sensitive than dedicating your life to selling yarn and ... stuff? (Okay, so maybe it'd be a good idea to actually learn what one sells at an arts 'n crafts store.) But things don't go exactly according to plan. Coworker #1 is Cora: tiny, much-pierced, and way too fierce to screw with in any sense. Coworker #2 is Kristy: blonde, bubbly, unattainable perfection. And Coworker #3 is, well, Arthur. It goes without saying that he’s not an option. Right?

… Right?

Yeah, Howie’s life just got straight up confusing.

Pun intended.

message 10: by Kaje (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:26PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments C. wrote: "Perhaps the thread was archived?

I'd have sworn we read this"

I checked all the archived threads I could find. Well, it's worth putting on the list. If I can't remember, then it's been long enough that there will be new readers anyway. And it's not on the BotM bookshelf either, although I sometimes forget to shelve them. It may have been some other discussion - I know the group chatted about trans books once, maybe when we read Parrotfish.

message 11: by C. (new)

C. Kennedy | 184 comments Cool.

Kaje wrote: "C. wrote: "Perhaps the thread was archived?

I'd have sworn we read this"

I checked all the archi..."

message 12: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Sunshine and Buttercups by Danni Keane by Danni Keane

Blurb: Prequel to Not Letting Go

Josh Roberts knows something's wrong. His parents are making frequent trips to the hospital, he's excluded from their conversations, and worst of all, there's a leaflet in the kitchen all about cancer treatments. He's scared he's going to lose his dad.

The only thing holding Josh's world together is his relationship with his best friend, Bradley. But if Bradley finds out about Josh's true feelings for him, will that friendship be threatened, too?

Available from 7th July for free at Queerteen Press and JMS Books

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite by Lianne Simon by Lianne Simon

Blurb: From the heart of an intersex teen, one who must ultimately choose male or female—family or true love—comes the story of a deeply emotional and perilous journey home. This is a young adult novel unlike any other—an authentic portrayal of the issues faced by a child growing up with a sexually ambiguous body.

Jameson can be like other boys after minor surgery and a few years on testosterone Well, at least that’s what his parents always say. But Jamie sees an elfin princess in the mirror, and male hormones would only ruin her pretty face. For him to become the man his parents expect, Jameson must leave behind the hopes and dreams of a little girl. But what is so wrong with Jamie’s dreams that they can’t be her life?

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justin2) | 5 comments This is a new release. It sounds really good.

description
Nail Polish and Feathers

A Harmony Ink Press Young Adult Title

Sixteen-year-old Evan Granger has no problems with being gay. Despite his mother’s objections, he wears nail polish and makeup to school and pursues his goal of becoming a professional drag queen.

TV drag star Taffy Sweet gives encouragement and Evan’s cousin Holly tries to protect him, but school bullies abuse him so badly because of his sexuality and the girly way he dresses that he ends up at the hospital emergency room. After that, even his new crush, a closeted football jock named Moe Garcia, is unhappy about Evan's choice to live his life openly gay. But even in girly clothes and nail polish, Evan is a force to be reckoned with, and he soon shows the bullies—and everyone else—that beating a drag queen up does not mean the queen is beaten down.

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Aug 26, 2013 03:21PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Yeah, Jo's book that she was talking about for a while here. It's on my TBRs too. Good thought.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments Awesome book!

On the Right Track
A Harmony Ink Press Young Adult Title

Ryunoski “Ru” Nakimura knows all about the trappings of fame. Expelled from a boy band for coming out as gay, he still wants to continue his career in music. Too bad his ex finds nothing better to do than exploit their relationship in the press, so Ru leaves California behind to lie low in Minnesota for a while.

Adam Corbin attends a Minnesota high school and wants to coast through as a typical student. He’s friends with an openly gay student, Bas Axelrod, but while Adam plays football, he also stays away from much socializing. Blending in and not outing himself has been easy because he’s never really been seriously interested in any of the guys he’s encountered.

When Adam meets Ru in a library, Adam begins to think he’s found that special young man who might make it worthwhile to just be himself. And for Ru, Adam looks like someone he might trade his fame for, if they could be together. Ru and Adam will both come to realize that courage and love must go hand in hand if they are to have a future

message 16: by Larry (new)

Larry H (yrralh) | 3 comments Two Boys Kissing Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Sorry, I'm new to the group, but have you considered "Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan? Just read the entire book yesterday. Was utterly moved by it and would love to discuss it with others who've read it.

message 17: by Kaje (last edited Aug 29, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Larry wrote: "Two Boys KissingTwo Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Sorry, I'm new to the group, but have you considered "Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan? Just read the entire book yesterday. Was utterly mo..."

Not yet - it's on my TBR list too;

Blurb: New York Times bestselling author David Levithan tells the based-on-true-events story of Harry and Craig, two 17-year-olds who are about to take part in a 32-hour marathon of kissing to set a new Guinness World Record—all of which is narrated by a Greek Chorus of the generation of gay men lost to AIDS.

While the two increasingly dehydrated and sleep-deprived boys are locking lips, they become a focal point in the lives of other teen boys dealing with languishing long-term relationships, coming out, navigating gender identity, and falling deeper into the digital rabbit hole of gay hookup sites—all while the kissing former couple tries to figure out their own feelings for each other.

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Last day to post nominations - then I'll get the poll up.

message 19: by Serena (new)

Serena | 21 comments Swan's Braid and Other Tales of Terizan by Tanya Huff Swan's Braid and Other Tales of Terizan by Tanya Huff.

Blurb: You can't belong to the Thieves' Guild if you can't break into the Thieves' Guild. When Terizan dropped out of the secret passage, past the net, and into the Inner Sanctum, she was astonished to discover that no one else had ever made it that far. Unfortunately, neither Terizan nor the Guild are thrilled about the sudden perception that she's the best thief in Oreen – the title comes with expectations and the Guild only ever expects the worst.

In these five tales, mercenary captains, murderous royal families, ghosts, gods, and wizards prove that while it may not always be lonely at the top, it's definitely annoying. Good thing half a dozen gods owe Terizan a favour.

My opinion : Tanya Huff is one of those rare authors who I won't hesitate to buy any kind of book from. Any kind meaning anything, basically. Although the blurb doesn't mention it, the Swan in the title is a lady captain of a elite mercenaries who Terizan, a thief, falls in love with. This ebook gathers together Terizan's short stories and presents them in a solid foundation. Terizan isn't all niceties, but she's quick and great fun.

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Ooh, I didn't know these were collected - I've read a couple. I love her writing - her Smoke and Shadows series would be fine for YA and has one of my favorite gay MC's.

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Kaine (danielakaine) | 20 comments No Angel by Daniel A. Kaine

Blurb: Born with a birth defect called Devil Syndrome, it is impossible for Josh Harper to hide the two small stumps of hornlike bone atop his head. If people also knew about his ability to create force fields with his mind, they’d lock him up for sure. Left to fend for himself on his eighteenth birthday, Josh tries to make it on the streets. When he’s attacked, he’s rescued by Sam Mitchell, who has an equally strange power—and a set of pure white wings.

Sam ran away from home a year ago, and the new life he’s built for himself includes living in an abandoned house and looking after three younger kids, all with Devil Syndrome. Then along comes Josh. After a rough start their relationship grows and the two young men find a haven in each other’s arms. But when tragedy strikes their newfound family, Sam’s hatred of regular humans spirals out of control, and Josh will have to make Sam see sense before everything he’s worked so hard to build is destroyed.

message 22: by Serena (last edited Aug 29, 2013 02:41PM) (new)

Serena | 21 comments Kaje wrote: "Ooh, I didn't know these were collected - I've read a couple. I love her writing - her Smoke and Shadows series would be fine for YA and has one of my favorite gay MC's."

:D oh I wasn't thinking of it, but that's true too. I can't nominate two books, can I?

message 23: by Kaje (last edited Aug 29, 2013 05:38PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Rena wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Ooh, I didn't know these were collected - I've read a couple. I love her writing - her Smoke and Shadows series would be fine for YA and has one of my favorite gay MC's."

:D oh I wasn..."

We don't have a firm rule against multiple nominations, because in the past sometimes we were very low on noms. But in this case I'd suggest waiting. I think we have a good selection - don't split the vote :) Plus while it is a decent book for a YA reader, I wouldn't call it real YA. Tony is in his twenties in the first book and working an adult life.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

message 25: by Caoimhe Niamh (new)

Caoimhe Niamh (tridecalogism) | 13 comments Jane wrote: "Warehouse Wonder World"

Definitely NOT YA.

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments Caoimhe Niamh wrote: "Jane wrote: "Warehouse Wonder World"

Definitely NOT YA."

I agree - not a book we would read on this group.

message 27: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED - the poll will go up soon.

message 28: by Kaje (last edited Sep 02, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16565 comments POLL IS NOW UP: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/89...

Voting will go through Midnight Sept 4th.