Sherlock Holmes discussion

Story Discussions > The Red-Headed League

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee M I wonder if the elusive and brilliant John Clay was the inspiration for Professor Moriarty?

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee M Also, I love when Holmes describes Jones as having the bravery of a bulldog and the tenacity of a lobster. So funny! I look forward to describing someone as a tenacious lobster!

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 405 comments Mod
That was an interesting description. Leave it to Holmes, am I right? XD

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee M I'm so struck by the humor in the stories this time around. :)

message 5: by Khalif (new)

Khalif I loved the Red Headed League. That and another one whos name I cannot remember are my favorites because I was able to solve those mysteries.

message 6: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) What was the mystery, Khalif? I might be able to remember the name . . .

message 7: by Khalif (new)

Khalif it was the one with the girl whose stepfather was pretending to be this man so she could fall in love with him, be engaged to him, and when he disappeared mysteriously, would stay loyal to him. The stepfather did this to keep the girl's money, and even enlisted her mother.

message 8: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) Khalif wrote: "it was the one with the girl whose stepfather was pretending to be this man so she could fall in love with him, be engaged to him, and when he disappeared mysteriously, would stay loyal to him. The..."

Found it! A Case of Identity -- Client's name being Miss Mary Sutherland:)

message 9: by Edward (new)

Edward Lusty | 3 comments I seem to remember the Jeremy Brett BBC TV adaption of The Red Headed League mentioning John Clay as Moriarty's 'brightest pupil' or something like that. I don't think it's said in the books, but I definitely think your observation has merit there, Renee. :-)

This adventure is one of my favs too!

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee M Get the Heck outta here! That's so great, Edward! Now I must go and Google! :)

message 11: by David (last edited Sep 02, 2013 06:24PM) (new)

David (dvader) | 13 comments Yes. I too remember that from the TV show. I thought it was lame that it was added on to create the Moriarty mystique at the time. But when you read the original stories that mentions Moriarty (e.g. The Final Problem), you'll see that he's likened to a spider with all his evil plots and underlings controlled at the pull of a string.

Although, it isn't stated explicitly, I can't help but imagine now that John Clay, as well as many others Sherlock faced, was part of Moriarty's intricate web of crime.

message 12: by johanna (new)

johanna (johannad_m) It isn't unlikely :)

message 13: by Edward (new)

Edward Lusty | 3 comments I completely agree, David. It's been a while since I saw the episode, but I remember the detail seeming a little tacked on. I see what they were trying to do though, if Moriarty's 'syndicate' really was as influential and widespread as it is claimed in the Final Problem, then it serves to adapt the TV series to see evidence of it in other episodes.