paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

Shiftling
This topic is about Shiftling
novella group reads archive > shiftling 100% spoilers

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I wont be joining this one, I returned it when it was gifted to me from darkfuse.

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
If you want to read it, I could read it the first week then loan it to you for the second? I did that with Addy for Muerte Con Carne. It seemed to work ok.

Ya sure, thanks! I forgot about dead clown barbeque and turned my Kindle on so I only got to read about 70 percent. It's worth buying anyway.

Addy | 1944 comments Definitely looking forward to this one:)

Scott (ttownscott) I haven't even read the overview. I just like the cover!

message 6: by Justin (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

i didnt read what it was about before returning it, i just havent been in the mood for dark fiction lately. i think i am going to start cutting back on the group reads here a little. with reading 3 group reads it is just to much for me to do any free reading outside the genre. i will always do the novel read as long as it is something i havnt read and dont hate the author or anything but i probably wont read as many of the novellas. i may stop suggesting them and just join the ones i want to read if they win.

Addy | 1944 comments I'm sorry to hear that Justin. I really like this group and it seems like people are starting to dwindle. Well, hope you'll still do the group reads:)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Started it today. I do like their excitement for the coming funfair which expect will not be too fun...

message 9: by Justin (last edited Sep 03, 2013 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Addy wrote: "I'm sorry to hear that Justin. I really like this group and it seems like people are starting to dwindle. Well, hope you'll still do the group reads:)"

Not to worry, nothing is changing really the novella group reads are fairly new and doing all three is just getting to be to much for me. The novels I will always be a part of I just won't be buying and reading every novella. I will still do all the moderating and polls and all that though.

message 10: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Alright. Good to know:)

Scott (ttownscott) I'm 24%. Wonder if the story will be just the main character and his friend Scotty. Interested to see what set Scotty off.

Scott (ttownscott) Ok, 50%. The police interrogation makes me wonder if drew is mixed up on his time line but I doubt it. Curious to see what it was that two 15 year Olds think they could kill it in a dark tunnel.

Char I was starting to get aggravated with the English bands and references. That usually doesn't bother me, but in this novella it did. Was it just me?

message 14: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Just started this today and it seems kinda magical. I remember when being a kid, I used to think that a week lasted a Mont too. Funny how when you get older, time speeds up.

message 15: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments *month

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments At 20%, They just tested the key to the grate and heard movement below. He has visions rats, but I don
't think it's rate....

message 17: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Lol. Me neither. But how did Scotty get the key? Sounds a little suspicious to me.

message 18: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments "economical with the truth" I like that:)

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Ok. The set up of this book is just like Abandon our read from last month. Does neone else struggle with two stories taking place at the same time? It kinda messes me up with one time frame to the next, though its not a big deal when the stories are good.

Scott (ttownscott) It also reminds me of Orange Crik by Ed Gosney . Guy comes back to his home town and is haunted by a childhood event.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Addy wrote: "Lol. Me neither. But how did Scotty get the key? Sounds a little suspicious to me."

Well I think something weird happened inside the house between him and the old man

message 22: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Hey Scott, how is First Activation? I wanna read that.

Scott (ttownscott) It's pretty good so far. I'm 1/4 into it. It's kind of like a variation on a zombie story. Two brothers land at JFK airport and find that while they were in the air something happened (mass brainwashing?) and everyone on the ground has a mission to kill one other person then themselves. So when they land there are only a few people alive who are trying to kill the airline passengers.

I'm borrowing the book otherwise I'd be glad to lend it to you.

message 24: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Cool. I thought I saw it for .99 so maybe I'll grab it.

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I've finished this and sent it on to Justin. Won't comment until next week.
@ Charlene, it did mention a lot of music and Brit tv references but for me it was a trip down memory lane. Obviously doesn't translate that well to the American market.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Charlene wrote: "I was starting to get aggravated with the English bands and references. That usually doesn't bother me, but in this novella it did. Was it just me?"

See having been right in the midst of the 80s music times, I loved the references to artists and clothes. Help pull me more into the setting.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Kate wrote: "I've finished this and sent it on to Justin. Won't comment until next week.
@ Charlene, it did mention a lot of music and Brit tv references but for me it was a trip down memory lane. Obviously doe..."

Well I got the references - it kind of reminds me how Stephen king drops music a lot into his work. Maybe its about the style - for instance, I am not much of a fan of country music and if there were lots of country references I wouldn't connect as much

message 28: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Gosh! Reading chapter 6 really got my heart pumping. What the heck did they just do? And wouldn't they want to know what that thing was? I would, but then again...maybe not.

message 29: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Ok. This is just a hunch, but what if the thing isn't a thing and was a person...anyone else thinking this? Its killing me and now I just want to read the whole thing!

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Addy wrote: "Ok. This is just a hunch, but what if the thing isn't a thing and was a person...anyone else thinking this? Its killing me and now I just want to read the whole thing!"

The thought crossed my mind...

AND is it really dead?

message 31: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments I'm at50% and couldn't be more confused. Its gonna be hard not to revisit this before Sunday.

message 32: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Once I got to 25% I couldn't stop reading it. I just had to know what happened next.

100% spoilers from here on. I will hopefully be joining in the conversation in the next couple days.

Ok I am all done. I liked the concept and always enjoy past and present type stories but there where a few things that bothered me. First off I hate books that describe the past and then later pretty much say that what I just read wasn't what really happens because it's been so long and his memory was fuzzy. When I read it, it said 1985 and not how I remember 1985 at the top of the chapters so I assume that the story I am being told is what happened. At the end of the book I didn't say to myself "wow what an awesome ending I never saw that coming!" Of course I didn't see it coming I was deliberately mislead with a false story. Also throughout the entire novella the cop is thinking he killed his buddy and not believing anything he says right? He even describes how he does a bad job of hiding that he don't believe what he is being told and wishes he could play poker with the guy and everything but then at the end he tells the cops he killed someone and they are just like we don't believe you your free to go. Seriously? Earlier he was trying to lure him into a lie about spider so he could prove he killed him but then he is just like naw you couldn't have killed him after he admits to it?

Scott (ttownscott) Finished it as well. Good point about 1985. I thought the same thing while I was reading it. The 1985 was not initially presented as his memory of 1985 so why the change. I was also "huh?" when the cop was all yeah, you were under a lot of stress when he finally gave the full story. I also wished he would have gone into the shiftling more than just the final fight scene with it.

message 36: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Wow. Bombshell with the reveal that Harrison was a pervert. Didn't see that coming.

message 37: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Finished! I know there were some flaws, but it had me going to the very end. I wish there was more on the Shiftling itself and more on Harrison to make it a little more complete. I do like how his memory changed because really, traumatic events change your memory and how you perceived things so I don't feel mislead, its human nature. I also like thinking about what really happened and what the cops believe. Cops aren't going to believe in monsters. Overall, I really enjoyed it!

message 38: by Justin (last edited Sep 14, 2013 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

well if I ever kill anyone I will try to remember to blame it on a monster and see if they just let me go. As for traumatic events changing your memory I fully agree I just don't like how the 1985 parts where not written as memory but written as if It was happening that way.

message 39: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Lol. Just don't leave any DNA!

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Addy wrote: "Finished! I know there were some flaws, but it had me going to the very end. I wish there was more on the Shiftling itself and more on Harrison to make it a little more complete. I do like how his ..."

I agree - that would have made it more satisfying

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 13 comments Addy wrote: "Wow. Bombshell with the reveal that Harrison was a pervert. Didn't see that coming."

I suspected that from the amount of time Scotty was in the house

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Orange Crik (other topics)