Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Ok - let's discuss our favorite movies. What you loved from the past? What you've seen recently? What you're looking forward to in the future? Which actors do you love? Which directors movies do you have to see?

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Last weekend we took our four year old son to his very first movie..
planes! he loved it! we got popcorn, soda and even candy because it was a special occasion being his first movie. :)

message 3: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Aug 26, 2013 12:33AM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "Last weekend we took our four year old son to his very first movie..
planes! he loved it! we got popcorn, soda and even candy because it was a special occasion being his first movie. :)"

Glad to hear that your son loved the movies. I remember taking our then 3 year old to see The Love Bug. She sat on my lap throughout the entire movie.

message 4: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

awwwww!!! how cute and she's all grown up now!

message 5: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Yes, she is at that but what fun we had when she was little.

message 6: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Jurassic Park IV is due out next year. I'm psyched!!!

message 7: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Two movies to see now IMO are:

The Butler
Blue Jasmine

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments My absolute favorite movie, a feel good movie, is Amélie (2001).

message 9: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I am looking forward to watching some scary movies this October! a long time ago i remember I used to shut all the lights, watch horror movies and eat iced cream!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (theheatherbomb) I'm watching The Lords of Salem right now and I'm so lost. And I usually love Rob Zombie movies.

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Sep 03, 2013 08:31PM) (new)

I am watching The Shining now!!! heree's johnnnyyy!!!

message 12: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Great movie. Do you know that King wrote a sequel to this book which will be published shortly.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica LaLaLa Laura wrote: "I am looking forward to watching some scary movies this October! a long time ago i remember I used to shut all the lights, watch horror movies and eat iced cream!"

I am a Paranormal Activity fan and part 5 comes out in October! SO excited!!

We saw The World's End last weekend for a date night. We are HUGE Simon Pegg/ Nick Frost fans in this household. It was fabulous!

Any John Green fans out there? He has updated his blog with a video with the movie (THe Fault in our Stars) in production as we speak. Can we ay AWESOME!!!! YES! :D so very very very happy!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments I'm a huge Simon Pegg fan too! Didn't know it was already in theaters, but I rarely go to theaters anymore, too expensive.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Last weekend my buddy and I went to see The City of Bones movie (pardon me if I mention the Mortal Instruments often. I just really really love that series :P) and it was amazing! I usually hate it when books are turned into movies because they usually cut so much out, but this was great in it's own ways though not as good as the book.

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I'm watching Misery tonight! good story!

message 17: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) Gravity came out this weekend (well, at least over here. I guess it's been out in the states for a while..) and I enjoyed it so much! That has been some impressiv pictures! And this atmosphere! Sometimes I felt like I was so one who couldn't breath! Did some of you guys see it?

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Haven't seen Gravity , but have been considering it. :)

message 19: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Haven't seen Gravity , but have been considering it. :)"

If you should go, tell me how you liked it, please! I'm excited if it will get an Oscar nomination!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Tessa wrote: "Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Haven't seen Gravity , but have been considering it. :)"

If you should go, tell me how you liked it, please! I'm excited if it will get an Oscar nomination!"

Will do :)

message 21: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Tessa wrote: "Gravity came out this weekend (well, at least over here. I guess it's been out in the states for a while..) and I enjoyed it so much! That has been some impressiv pictures! And this atmosphere! Som..."

Gravity just opened this past week in the United States and was number 1 at the box office.

message 22: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) Wow! I guess that's a first. Usually, the movies open 4 to 6 weeks later here. (Maybe the sync takes so long?) But no surprise there, it's nuber one here, too!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Not to spoil the fun but I prefer to know the real science when movies don't follow it correctly. This is an article about what the movie Gravity didn't follow correctly, warning spoilers.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/showbiz...

message 24: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Not to spoil the fun but I prefer to know the real science when movies don't follow it correctly. This is an article about what the movie Gravity didn't follow correctly, warning spoilers.

http:..."

oh yeah..I met my ex-boyfriend in the theater and he did the same..he studied elementary physics (I hope that's what its call.) and broke down the whole movie. The funny thing is, he gets really mad when people just don't care..

But still, I really did enjoy some pretty pictures!

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Tessa wrote: "Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Not to spoil the fun but I prefer to know the real science when movies don't follow it correctly. This is an article about what the movie Gravity didn't follow correctly, warning ..."

I think the movie can still be enjoyed after all it is just a work of fiction. I also find it frustrating when people don't care about learning, but I am a former teacher. LOL

message 26: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) You do have a point there. I just think of it as ficton. And as long as it's at least close to reality and makes sence in some ways, I can deal with it. When I want to lean about gravity, I don't go to the movies..I watch this great ISS for Science Videos. Anyone seen this one? So great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Tssb...

Im not one of those people who think "it's on the TV, so its got to be true" but I can enjoy a movie even though its not true.

But why did you stop teaching?

message 27: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (himmelhoch) Which it kind of funny, now that I think about it. Im not sure I would tolerate that in a book..that doesn't make sence at all.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Tessa wrote: "You do have a point there. I just think of it as ficton. And as long as it's at least close to reality and makes sence in some ways, I can deal with it. When I want to lean about gravity, I don't g..."

I left teaching for many reasons but mostly the testing, the constrictions placed on teachers, and the administration/districts' policies on student behavior.

message 29: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

what state did you teach in? I'm not a teacher but just curious

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments LaLaLa Laura wrote: "what state did you teach in? I'm not a teacher but just curious"

I've taught in Georgia and Florida.

message 31: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

watching Misery this week on LOGO channel! I forgot how good it was!

message 32: by Julia (last edited Oct 23, 2013 08:02AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Loved from the past: all the Harry Potter films, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Seen recently: Much Ado About Nothing by Josh Whedon

Looking forward to: The Book Thief on Nov. 8

Actors I love: Alan Rickman, Simon Pegg, Cate Blanchett, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Maggie Smith, Jennifer Lawrence, Brendan Gleeson, Ian McKellen, Gary Oldman.

Directors whose movies I have to see: Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle). His last film (he's retiring, sadly) is The Wind Rises, coming to the U.S. in February 2014 (with a limited release this November to qualify it for the Academy Awards).

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Julia wrote: "Loved from the past: all the Harry Potter films, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Looking forward to: The Book Thief on Nov. 8

Actors ..."

Thank you for the update on the 2014 Miyazaki release.

message 34: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Julia wrote: "Loved from the past: all the Harry Potter films, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Looking forward to: The Book Thief on N..."

You're most welcome--I just joined the group today, and thanks to this thread I discovered the news about "The Wind Rises".

message 35: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Jessica wrote: "LaLaLa Laura wrote: "I am looking forward to watching some scary movies this October! a long time ago i remember I used to shut all the lights, watch horror movies and eat iced cream!"

I am a Pa..."

Oh, so glad you saw "The World's End"! Pegg and Frost are priceless--I bought the DVD of "Hot Fuzz" and must have watched it 5 times :-) Eager to see "The World's End" when it comes out on DVD--I gave up on going to movie theaters when all the phones "lit up" during a movie!

message 36: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I read that Bladerunner was based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?! I just finished the book and want to check this out.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Enders Game was pretty good, IMO. Great casting job!

message 38: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I hear there is a remake coming out of "Flowers in the Attic!?" ohhhh throw me in the beach and call me sandy. I'm excited!

message 39: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) My friend just saw the film based on Twelve Years a Slave, and she was so deeply affected she's not ready to talk about it--but said it was incredible.

message 40: by Beth Buning (new)

Beth Buning Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "My absolute favorite movie, a feel good movie, is Amélie (2001)."

Recently watched that, and really loved it!

message 41: by Julia (last edited Dec 28, 2013 05:37PM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) My favorite film of all time is a Japanese movie called After Life, known in Japan as Wonderful Life.

"Koreeda's After Life is set in a waystation where the souls of the recently deceased are processed before entering heaven. "Heaven," for the film, is a single happy memory from one's life, re-experienced for eternity.

The movie is set in a building resembling a decrepit travel lodge or social services institution. Every Monday, a new group of recently deceased people check in, and the "social workers" in the lodge explain to each guest their situation. The newly-dead have until Wednesday to identify the single happiest memory. For the rest of the week, the workers at the institution work to design and replicate each person's chosen memory, thereby replicating the single happiest moment of that person's life, and it is filmed.

At the end of the week, the recently deceased watch the films of their recreated happiest memories in a screening room. As soon as each person sees his or her own memory, he or she vanishes to whatever unknown state of existence lies beyond and takes only that single memory with them, to live and relive for eternity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Li...

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments We went and saw The Hobbit: Desolation Smaug last night. An enjoyable romp through Tolkien's story by Jackson. There were some additions added to the story but I don't think it ruined the movie by any means. Love the casting and the scenery of this film. :)

message 43: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I just saw The Silver Linings Playbook. It started slow for me but definitely worth the while :)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments It was a moving story, but I'm surprised at all the awards it won.

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I love, love, loved that movie! I thought Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did a superb job depicting those characters. IMO, those roles are not easy and required a lot of talent and emotion. Hands down one if my favorite movies of all time. I laughed, cried, got infuriated, related to characters and even wanted to dance. When a movie does that...AWESOME is all I can say.

message 46: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ Who is getting ready for upcoming Oscars? I am hoping Dicaprio will finally get his well deserved oscar for his role in Wolf of Wallstreet!

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm pretty excited! March 2ndwoohoo!!!!

message 48: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ Ha ha Jessica, me too! Do you have any favorites? I have not watched all the best picture nominees yet, but I've seen Wolf of Wallstreet and Captain Phillips.

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I haven't really gotten to watch much that has been nominated for best picture. I am hoping to see Wolf of Wallstreet and American Hustle at some point in the near future. I do hope Leo gets his award. He has had some great roles over the past few years and feel like he has gotten looked over. I wish I could see Osage County. Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts together has to be awesome!

While it is not until August, I am looking forward to the Emmy's too!

message 50: by Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:20PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) | 7041 comments Super excited, the cast for the next Star Wars' movie has been announced with a targeted release date of Dec 2015:

http://variety.com/gallery/star-wars-...

« previous 1