Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Book Recommendations > Good Horror List Top 100

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 429 comments https://www.worldswithoutend.com/list...

This is a top 100 list of horror works which I thought was worth sharing, I cannot remember exactly how I stumbled on it. I think there is a huge amount of overlap between SF/ Fantasy and the Horror genre with some books fitting in multiple camps.

I have read very little horror myself but wanted to read a little bit more. This list was produced by Nightmare Magazine and there are a few characteristics that I really liked about the list:-

- They have no problem mentioning multiple works by the same author
- They include short fiction (albeit from best of year anthologies and other best of type collections in the main ) which is often neglected by these sorts of lists
- There is a good mix of old and new its not all stuff from 50 years ago.

Anyway I thought it was worth sharing and I would be interested to know which works would be recommended to someone fairly new to the horror genre.

Separate from these lists I have also heard good things about Joe Hill, House of Leaves and The Passage

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 17 comments Ben wrote: "https://www.worldswithoutend.com/list...

This is a top 100 list of horror works which I thought was worth sharing, I cannot remember exactly how I stumbled on it. I think there is ..."

I actually had to put house of leaves down several times when I was reading it. I totally freaked myself out. Also, pretty much anything by Dan Simmons. I also read NOS4ATU by Joe Hill, which I didn't think was super scary, but good nonetheless.

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments GOOD LIST! I don't know a lot of them and I don't agree with the placement of a bunch of the ones I do know (but that's to be expected) but most of the ones you need on there are on there. And I love being hip to stuff I don't know.

I'm not new to the horror genre but it's not the only thing I read by far. However, if you are new, (as you seem to be saying you are, correct me if I'm wrong,) Joe Hill is excellent. But so is his dad, frankly, Stephen King. There's a reason why he is who he is in our popular culture. He is, in fact, the Master. Dracula should be waaay higher. I mean, that's obvious. I guess it depends on what you mean by "Top". But if sheer impact on the entire freaking culture has any weight at all, then how is Dracula not, at least, in the top ten? And it is still one of best books to read on a dark and stormy night.

But Clive Barker is no joke. Some of his stories in Books of Blood, Vols. 1-3 are astounding (I'm looking at you, "In the Hills, the Cities"). The Dark Descent is one of my very favorite collections.

But shit, From the Dust Returned? I never even heard of it and I love Ray Bradbury! Laird Barron? Poppy Brite? Ellen Datlow? Who are these people? I don't know but I'm going to find out!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie I loved the passage and the twelve the sequel isn't that bad either.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 4 comments Awesome list, I can connect with the choices here more than the Goodreads top 100 horror
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

message 6: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments Actually, I like that one too. I think it's a bit more, um, what you classically would pick, you know? Dracula revolutionized a genre and Frankenstein created one, and quite possibly altered the collective consciousness in the most profound way imaginable. Still, both lists definitely have their place.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 429 comments been meaning to check out Dark Descent - I have probably read a few of the short stories in it but not many. I see Nightmare magazine are republishing some "classic" short stories some of which are in some of the author collections in the list so I might check them out and if I like them get the collections.

I have mixed feelings about some of the good reads lists - too many people have taste too different from mine and I am not sure straight lists that anyone can vote in always bring out the most interesting books.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 0 comments To be fair a lot of goodreads polls boil down to who can mobilise the most 'friends'