Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > Best Books Read in 2013

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) We know it's early to prepare a best list for 2013 but since many months have passed we don't want you to forget your favorite books read in 2013. We would love it if you would include why these books made your list.

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
The Night Circus is definitely the best book I read this year! It engaged all my senses. My husband even had a Night Circus themed birthday party for me! It was magical! :D

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Clockwork Angel is an amazing book. I read the entire series within a month. I love Cassandra Clare's work and this was an amazing addition to the Shadowhunter world. I feel that I was able to connect better with the main character, Tessa, than in her other books.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) The Fault in Our Stars is such a painfully beautiful book. It's such a sad story and had a huge impact on my life making me more aware of the small beautiful things (though we'll see how long that lasts :P).

message 5: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Samantha wrote: "Clockwork Angel is an amazing book. I read the entire series within a month. I love Cassandra Clare's work and this was an amazing addition to the Shadowhunter world. I feel that I was able to conn..."

I don't always do fantasy or paranormals or vampire or - I think you got the message. But I plan on reading the book you mentioned above if it'sthe first book in the series. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) You should also read The Fault in our Stars if you haven't already. It's not paranormal or anything, it's about a girl who has lung cancer.

message 7: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I am going to be reading The Fault in Our Stars for two challenges shortly. This book is being made into a movie as I write this.

As for YA books, I highly recommend Wonder by RJ Palacio which may me my number 1 book on my top ten list for this year.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) For me, hands down, it was Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane :-)

message 9: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I just finished that too! so magical! I felt so bad for the little boy and found myself getting mad at Ursula and his father!

message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I don't know how you guys narrow it down to just one! If pressed, I could narrow it down to half a dozen or so, but I don't think I could narrow it down much more than that!

So, I will say my biggest surprise - one I expected to hate but ended up loving - was Gone with the Wind. I've never seen the movie, but I expected it to be a romance novel, which I normally hate. I suppose it is, technically, but there's so much more going on than that.

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

oh melanti! I read GWtW too this year and I did love it. it was a page Turner and easy to read surprisingly.

did you read it as part of a book club selection?

message 12: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I'd expected it to be a boring slog, but I agree it was incredibly easy to read!

Nope, it wasn't for a book club. In one of the SF groups here on Goodreads, a guy compared it to a SF apocalyptic novel since it's basically about the destruction of a whole society and what he said caught my interest. I've been trying to broaden my reading horizons anyway, and then a couple of weeks later, Amazon put it on sale, so I gave it a shot.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments A Tale for the Time Being was my favorite book for the year. Such a wonderful tale spanning time and space, there were some elements that were displeasing as society can sometimes be for many but the philosophical element of the story trumped all.

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

The year is almost over. Does anyone else have any stand out books they read this year?

message 16: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

a Margaret Atwood year for you, Jen! I read Cat's Eye this year and was reminded of how much I love her writing.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennshelfishlife) | 7041 comments Oooo, will have to add to my list, thanks Laura!

message 18: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Jen ƸӜƷ wrote: "Oooo, will have to add to my list, thanks Laura!"

you're very welcome!

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I just finished Burial Rites and it is one of my top three for the year. I could not put the book down.

message 20: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Jayme wrote: "I just finished Burial Rites and it is one of my top three for the year. I could not put the book down."

looks like a good work of historical fiction ...

message 21: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Does anybody have any not so favorite books they read this year? and why?

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Hmm, maybe that question could be a different topic, Laura? Don't want to step on anyone's toes, and sharing our LEAST favorites might do that. 'Tis the holiday season and all that lol :-)

message 23: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

sounds good Julia. by the way if anyone would like to make their own thread, feel free. just make sure it's in the appropriate folder. if you have any questions just ask!

message 24: by Kristi (last edited Dec 03, 2013 06:21AM) (new)

Kristi Krumnow | 496 comments Summer 2013 I read and couldn't put down, but put down inspite of myself, got upset, returned to it, and picked it back up. My novel was Atonement by Ian McEwen.

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Krumnow | 496 comments I look forward to more un-put-downable books in 2014!!

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Love that, Kristi! You should start a thread for "Un-Put-Downable Books" :-) Those are the kind where I literally can forget to stop to eat and don't answer my phone lol.

Last one that happened to me was The Testament of Mary, which luckily is less than 100 pages but absolutely bowled me over.

message 27: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Krumnow | 496 comments Great suggestion Julia. Just added this book and entered my name on GR to win it. Thanks!

message 28: by Melanti (new)

Melanti Kristi wrote: "Summer 2013 I read and couldn't put down, but put down inspite of myself, got upset, returned to it, and picked it back up. My novel was Atonement by Ian McEwen."

Have you read any other Mcewen books? I've read a couple of his and wasn't horribly impressed... I'm wondering how Atonement compares.

message 29: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Love that, Kristi! You should start a thread for "Un-Put-Downable Books" :-) Those are the kind where I literally can forget to stop to eat and don't answer my phone lol.

Last one that happened to..."

that reminds me of the books written by Roxane Tepfer Sanford

OK I admit it...I love VC Andrews! I read Flowers in the Attic when I was a teenager and was hooked. However, her ghost writer has not had that same impact on me. But I just discovered Roxane Sanford about a year ago and she reminds me so much of VCA. I couldn't put down her books because I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. she reminded me about how much I loved VCA back in the day.

message 30: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Julia wrote: "Love that, Kristi! You should start a thread for "Un-Put-Downable Books" :-) Those are the kind where I literally can forget to stop to eat and don't answer my phone lol.

Kristi wrote: "I look forward to more un-put-downable books in 2014!!"

that's a great idea ladies! Maybe we can start a thread for 2014 called Un-Put-Downable Books of 2014!

feel free to start it up or i can do it if you like. :)

message 31: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Kristi wrote: "Great suggestion Julia. Just added this book and entered my name on GR to win it. Thanks!"

oh good luck!

message 32: by Julia (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:02PM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Laura, would be great for you or Kristi to start our "Un-Put-Downable" 2014 thread :-)

message 33: by Vera (new)

Vera Maharani (veraveruchka) | 20 comments My favorite book so far this year are The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim.

The Things They Carried still brings me nightmare about a war I have never experienced (I was born in the 90s). It's so vivid and scary. I can't say I like the effect this book has on me but I have to say it was written magnificently.

In the contrary, anything from Elizabeth von Arnim is comforting and The Enchanted April is my favorite. I am happy just to think about the story. I love her descriptions and her sense of humor! It feels like Elizabeth von Arnim was a best friend I'd love to have, haha.

I wish her books would be read more often. No one in my real life have ever heard about her. I'm working hard to introduce her to my friends and family, haha.

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Julia wrote: "Love that, Kristi! You should start a thread for "Un-Put-Downable Books" :-) Those are the kind where I literally can forget to stop to eat and don't answer my phone lol.

Julie, I loved The Testament of Mary too. I found myself thinking about it weeks later.

message 35: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Melanti wrote: "Kristi wrote: "Summer 2013 I read and couldn't put down, but put down inspite of myself, got upset, returned to it, and picked it back up. My novel was Atonement by Ian McEwen."

Have ..."

Atonement, I think is his best book by far. It was my favorite book of 2012.