Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > Best Book Read in August

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Aug 25, 2013 05:13AM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Please tell us about the best book you read in the month of August.

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
so far "durable goods" which happens to be on our September TBR. it was a good recommendation, Nancy :)

message 3: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Aug 25, 2013 05:32AM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I loved Elizabeth Berg's books in the past and don't forget this begins a trilogy. But maybe I've read too many of her books cause lately they don't tug at my heartstrings the way the way they used to.

message 4: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) So far I don't have a favorite read for August unless I use my reread of Durable Goods.

message 5: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
I wonder if its also sometimes we change by our experiences too? I notice things that were once, for example funny and had me cracking up do not seem as funny anymore.
or sometimes the author changes and their books aren't the same as they once were.

message 6: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Aug 28, 2013 07:04PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) LaLaLa Laura wrote: "I wonder if its also sometimes we change by our experiences too? I notice things that were once, for example funny and had me cracking up do not seem as funny anymore.
or sometimes the author cha..."

Yes, I agree that's why I don't often reread a book or see a movie twice.

The other day while it was teeming I decided to use our Netflix streaming feature. Don't ask me why but I decided to watch the last episode of the Wonder Years. Not sure how many of you remember this sit com. While it was still poignant, it was a bit disappointing in its simplicity although the years certainly were nowhere filled with the angst some of us have lived through.

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 1 comments Surprisingly intriguing book was The Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin. Written in two different eras throughout the book but tie in beautifully and not as confusing as i anticipated it to be when i detected the change first time. would definitely recommend :-)

message 8: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments Since I will not be able to finish another book within the next 24 hours, I think I can say that the best book I've read in August. It is The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I was going to read it initially a few months ago as it was the book of month of another group, but I decided not to since the copy I had looked boring. (Yes, never judge the book by its cover.)How wrong was I!

message 9: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Anil, so glad you enjoyed this book. have you ever seen the movie with Wynona Ryder, Jeremy Irons and Michelle Pfeiffer among others.

As for Edith Wharton, earlier this year I read The Age of Desire by Jennie Fields which described in a fiction title a part of Edith Wharton's life.

message 10: by Anil (new)

Anil (loykalina) | 69 comments No, I haven't, Nancy. I am a little bit scared that the film might not be as good as the book. I will give it a try, though.

message 11: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) If you do watch it, Anil, let me know your thoughts. It really is a very well done movie.