Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Romance > historical romance author?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments who is your favorite historical romance author? what makes them your favorite?

message 2: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) First: do you mean an author who actually wrote romances during an older timeperiod (George Eliot, Thomas Hardy) or, a modern author who tries to simulate that (A.S. Byatt, etc)?

message 3: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments My favorite historical romance author? Ohhh, got a couple...from the past...The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas,pere. One of my all time favorites. I have read a lot of other Dumas novels but this remains my favorite
All ths Scarlet Pimpernel novels by Baroness Orczy
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini And all the rest of Sabatini
More current era: Georgette Heyer some of Victoria Holt...
Currently just sbout any Regency

message 4: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments feliks, an author who writes historical romance

message 5: by Feliks (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:42AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) You're sidestepping my question, though. You need to state from what vantage point the author wrote/writes. If you're Daniel Defoe, or Walter Scott..you are *in* history at the same time as the historical genre you're depicting. If you're Anne Rice or Judith Rossner, you are not. Antique vs modern--that's a big difference in assessing talent at writing historical fiction.

I would not provide an appraisal of historical-romance authors in which all these authors' names were forced to be lumped in together. Its just not right. Separate thread needed to distinguish two clearly separate topics. Sorry!

message 6: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments a modern day author who writes historical romance...anything pre WWII

message 7: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments feliks, what author do u like from the British romantic period:)

message 8: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments oh feliks wanted to add, the author writes from the present, works that predate WWII. Hope I have clarified my topic for you.

message 9: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 509 comments Arabella, you are one well read chick :)