City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

they ruined the book !!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Wafaa Laalaoui am i the only who thinks that they ruined the book !? , everything is different , even the setting of events !
any other opinions ?

Vixen O_O!

Alice Gray you mean the movie?

I don't think they ruined the book because they only ruined the plot- the characters and setting are ok- so if you were to read it again, you would be reading the actual plot and your imagination wouldn't be spoiled by the actors and location...

but yeah they probably ruined the reputation the book has

kirstin ✿ Uh, the book is already ruined even before the movie came out. It's been ruined ever since the book was released.

Andre I have to agree with . This book already was bad, even the best director and writer could not have much done with it.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Villacorte ◄KɪʀsᴛɪN► wrote: "Uh, the book is already ruined even before the movie came out. It's been ruined ever since the book was released."

you really hate her books, it's like you are cursing her indirectly

April I haven't seen the movie yet but to my honest opinion I think the book shouldn't have been made into a movie. Don't get me wrong, I still want to see the movie really bad but to also see what they did to it and to see if the movie was any good. I LOVED the book and the rest of the book series and can't WAIT to read #6.

;)

Andre Daniel wrote: "◄KɪʀsᴛɪN► wrote: "Uh, the book is already ruined even before the movie came out. It's been ruined ever since the book was released."

you really hate her books, it's like you are cursing her indire..."

No she is a critic, for good reason. If so many reviews of the movie keep pointing out what they think is wrong with it and how much it borrows from so many other popular fanchises than a fan of hers should start to ask whether the critics might have a point. All of them as it appears agree that this is a movie only for those that read the book.

message 9: by kirstin ✿ (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kirstin ✿ @Ryann

Oh, trust me: Andre and I are not the only ones who hated it. A bunch more did.

Also, just because a lot of people loved it doesn't mean it's a good book/series. I know we're all entitled to our opinions, but the fact is, it's not a good book. At all.

There's a lot of people who know that fact, including myself. We have already explained in our reviews how this book is actually horrible, but I found out that not everyone could see this... or would simply ignore the reviews because they're blinded and made deaf by the books already.

@Daniel

Oh, I'm not. I'm just stating a simple fact.

message 10: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre The quality of a book and a film can to an extent be measured. The basic criteria are:
1) Originality
2) Pacing
3) Secondary reality
4) Internal consistency
And quite frankly Cassandra Clare failed at all of them and so did the movie because of that.
The Shadowhunter trio are supposed to be trained fighters but they make mistakes only an amateur would make which is already obvious in the first chapter of the book where not only does Jace actually drop his weapon when noticing Clary (something no trained fighter and demon hunter would ever do because it would get him killed) but all three apparently don't even get the slightest suspicion that the Eidolon demon might be telling the truth since apparently he wasn't the only demon saying that Valentine was still alive. And to stick with the demon, despite having been overpowered and being a shapeshifter he does not use his power to escape but instead he attacks Jace. And here is a further problem. The scene states that Alec and Isabelle suddenly run towards the two fighters. This is entirely impossible since they are in a small room and the sentences before that clearly state that they have no more distance between the two fighters and them then 2-3 steps. In such a short distance its completely impossible to run. And to stick with that scene further: the Eidolon screaming about the Forsaken was the worst sort of foreshadowing ever and already sucks the entire menace out of Valentine. If some run-of-the-mill demon already knows about the Forsaken it is not only incredibly incompetent of Valentine but also of the Clave that they had no idea about this. Who would ever belief such a ridiculous scenario? A society of "warriors" that incompetent would have been whiped out ages ago. And speaking of incompetence, there is also the problem of Clare failing to create secondary reality, meaning it must work within itself. Clare lets Jace state all sort of stuff to have exposition for the readers, all stuff what he either states to the demon or to Clary whom he assumes is not one of them, but nonetheless he tells all this stuff and despite their rules of secrecy. This is supposed to be a trained fighter? Only a complete moron would do that? They are supposed to keep their activities secret but they blabber out one piece of information after another. Also in these few lines that he has with Clary Cassandra Clare shows one of her many examples of not being original by throwing in the terms demon, warlock and night children, which everyone would know to be vampires already. And that is not even everything from the first chapter and yet it is only the first chapter.

kirstin ✿ @Ryann

I told you, just because a lot of people loved it doesn't mean it's good. It's my opinion, yes, but it's also a fact. Critics know this. I'm not a long time critic, but I know what's a good book and what's not. I know whether the characters are undeveloped or not. I know a well-written book and what's not. And believe me, COB meets all the 'not'. The book has the biggest Mary Sue heroine I've ever had the.misfortune of reading. The biggest asshole of all assholes. The most predictable, boring, unoriginal plot I've ever read. A lot of plot holes. Stereotypical characters. Metaphors that don't make sense. Plagiarism. Unhealthy relationships. Inconsistent POVs. Typographical errors. Wrong mythology. Wrong references, and a lot more.

Haha. Oh, I guess I'm a hater right?

But let's face it: we're not talking about each other's opinions here, we're talking about the facts. You loved the book, I didn't. You thought it's good, I didn't. But what's the actual case, really? Some may say that it all comes to interpretation, but what's to interpret in this book?

Care to enlighten me? I wanna read your review, but I saw none. Will you let me know what made you love the book? AND... are those reasons good enough to say that the book itself is good?

Meghan Mckenna They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill.

message 13: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Meghan wrote: "They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill."

That is what you were concerned about? Not the fact that the actor does not even remotely fit Magnus' alleged background?

kirstin ✿ @Ryann

Okay. I'd love to hear it. Time for me to sleep as well. XD

message 15: by ★ʜɑʋɘɳ★ (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:44AM) (new) - added it

★ʜɑʋɘɳ★ A book being good or bad is never a fact. It's like saying everyone has to love or hate the same ice cream, everyone has to enjoy the same music, etc.

You can say a lot of things about a book; whether it's original, whether it's good written, etc etc etc - those you might be able to back up like facts (tho some might disagree). But you cannot state as a fact that a book is good or bad.

I could be the only person in the world that likes some certain book - that neither means everyone else is right, nor does it mean that I am wrong. (Nor does it mean I am not allowed to like that book. ;))

Reading a book comes down to liking it, or not. A lot of factors go into this, but in the end it is nothing but subjective - to argue that is just meaningless.

Meghan Mckenna Andre wrote: "Meghan wrote: "They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill."

That is what you were concerned about? Not the fact that the actor does not even remotely fit Magnus' alleged ba..."

No I'm just saying I'm picky, also I liked the dude they had as Magnus but I don't think he played him as I would have wanted him to.

message 17: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Ryann wrote: "Gosh, what are you doing this for? You're comparing a fictional character to an actor. Gao did a good job as Magnus, even if he didn't have "golden skin and cat eyes". They did their best, and he was a good actor. "

You have no idea what is behind it do you? First, they advertized him in promo pictures as having cat eyes. Second Clare got credit for demanding an Asian or Half-Asian actor. And there is the problem:
She stated Magnus as Asian first and biracial second and saying that having him played by a white actor would eradicate his "Asian background", but apparently the reverse was not worth mentioning. And with that "Asian background" we have another problem: Magnus is mixed. Stated as being mixed Dutch-Indonesian and from Batavia. And not only does Indonesia have about 300 native ethnicities, Indonesians are, based on US categories, rather Pacific Islanders than "Asians" and therefore closer to Phillipinos than Chinese people. And it looks that Gao is most likely a Taiwanese of full Chinese descent and nothing else. This is basically misrepresenting a fact about a character that Clare and the makers allegedly cared so much about, but in truth it is once again equalizing "Asian" with "Chinese". And considered that Magnus is allegedly from Batavia, this means that he would not be considered Asian by the authorities back then but as mixed and this would have shown in his facial as well as cultural features. Godfrey Gao is nothing like that and they can't tell they they couldn't have found an actor that is at least a first generation Western/Central European – East/Southeast Asian mix, since I would know of at least a few and these are only the popular ones, I am sure there are a lot more.

Mariana I don't think they ruined the book with the movie. However, to those who haven't read the books and are just watching the movie, when Hodge told Valentine not to lie to Jace and Clary about being "siblings", it ruined it for those who haven't read the books. Clary and Jace were supposed to find out the truth in City of Glass; they should've kept that line out of the movie. I don't like how Clary was obsessed with drawing Angelic Runes in the movie, or that they didn't know about Pandemonium Club, or the sprinklers going off in Clary and Jace's first kiss. All of those things didn't happen in the book. There were some things in the movie that were off, but I wouldn't say that the movie ruined the book.

Mariana Meghan wrote: "Andre wrote: "Meghan wrote: "They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill."

That is what you were concerned about? Not the fact that the actor does not even remotely fit Magn..."

I think the actor playing Magnus could've attempted to have a more sarcastic attitude.

message 20: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Mariana wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Andre wrote: "Meghan wrote: "They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill."

That is what you were concerned about? Not the fact that the actor does not even re..."

That was also a point of criticism and wasn't his voice change a bit odd?

message 21: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Ryann wrote: "And another thing that bothered me... Simon was bitten at the Hotel Dumort. Clary saw the bites. But why didn't Simon Turn? Wasn't be supposed to Turn because of Raphael in the City of Ashes?
"

That was one of the many weird things in the books. In City of Ashes and afterwards everyone stated that Simon had gone back to the hotel because when he bit Raphael in City of Bones in rat form he tasted some of Raphael's blood. The problem is that by that time Simon had bitten the vampire Elliot (the thin black boy with dreadlocks) five times already as they stated themselves. So technically he should have been drawn to Elliot and not Raphael but that was never mentioned again, anywhere. After Simon was in the hotel the vampires drained him nearly to the point of death, afterwards Raphael carried him to the Institute, Clary decided that he should become a vampire, he was buried on a jewish cemetery and rose as a vampire. End.

Mariana Ryann wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I don't think they ruined the book with the movie. However, to those who haven't read the books and are just watching the movie, when Hodge told Valentine not to lie to Jace and Cla..."

Thank you! Those were some more differences I forgot to add in. Maybe they're saving the change for the next movie?

Mariana Andre wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Andre wrote: "Meghan wrote: "They forgot to give Magnus Bane sparkly blue magic... I could kill."

That is what you were concerned about? Not the fact that the actor ..."

I didn't really notice the voice change , but maybe I would've had Magnus been in more scenes. He's supposed to be sexy, sarcastic, whitty, and have a sort of I'll do what I want attitude; I was expecting some more fabulousness from him, but then again, all the characters personalities were a bit off. The most accurate would have to be Simon.

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews Now I have to watch the movie soon and write a review. I think it only comes out on Thursday here. The theater website is terrible.

message 25: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Mariana wrote: "I don't think they ruined the book with the movie. However, to those who haven't read the books and are just watching the movie, when Hodge told Valentine not to lie to Jace and Clary about being "..."i agree that line totally kind of threw off the plot still loved the movie and the books though

message 26: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Ryann wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I don't think they ruined the book with the movie. However, to those who haven't read the books and are just watching the movie, when Hodge told Valentine not to lie to Jace and Cla..."You noticed that too. I was watching it with my little sis and i'm like okay this part is funny cause he gets turned into a rat and then he didn't and i was like awww lol but yeah i thought he did turn in city of ashes?

message 27: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre He did turn in City of Ashes yes, in City of Bones there was no mentioning of his biting Raphael (or Elliot) having any effect on him.

Mariana wrote: "I didn't really notice the voice change , but maybe I would've had Magnus been in more scenes. He's supposed to be sexy, sarcastic, whitty, and have a sort of I'll do what I want attitude; I was expecting some more fabulousness from him, but then again, all the characters personalities were a bit off. The most accurate would have to be Simon.
"

The characters were also something that many critics did not like. Sure the actors are mostly good actors but especially Gao and Zeghers have barely any lines and viewers don't get to know the characters. And I don't blame the directors. The book already had so much infos thrown at the readers that I sometimes thought it was a sort of guide to the Shadowhunter world. And while you can read a book at the pace you like, you can't do that with a film and so everything seems even more crammed and thrown at you and with so much info dumping there is barely any time for characterization. In both book and film.

message 28: by Nurlely (last edited Aug 26, 2013 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely I haven't watched the movie yet.
Tbh... watching the trailer on such a big theater's screen was a big disappointment for me.
For me, Jamie was not the gorgeous Jace, and watching his less handsome feature on screen has lessened my mood even more.
Why is that important? Because for me Jace has been the centre of attraction to the series. I can accept so many flaws in TMI because I wanted to read more about Jace.
I will watch the movie because I want to see Jace. I might curse my decision later or out of the theater a happy old gal. Who knows? I have decided to do so and will accept the consequences... LOL

message 29: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Be warned it might not turn out well. ;)
And yeah many thinkl Jamie was miscast. He can pull out the bad boy sure and he is not ugly but in Jace's case people and especially Clare were practically obsessed with his looks.

Nurlely Jamie is surely not ugly. I think he is cute and adorable. It is not his fault that his look is different from Jace's. Not readers's fault either. Jace's gorgeous look is mentioned over and over in the series. His heavenly look is indeed unrealistic, but the books described him no less than a face that can awe any girls. Jamie is surely not Jace, by that standard.

I might enjoy the movie or sleep through the movie... LOL

message 31: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Then you will have nothing to fear. :D

Josiane Claremont Nurlely wrote: "Jamie is surely not ugly. I think he is cute and adorable. It is not his fault that his look is different from Jace's. Not readers's fault either. Jace's gorgeous look is mentioned over and over in..."

Even though Jamie wasn't exactly my ideal Jace, and the other characters weren't exactly my ideal characters, it's still one of the awesomest movies ever!!!!!!!!!

Plus, Jamie and Lily actually go pretty well together! :D

message 33: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Ryann wrote: "I was mad to hear about Jamie. He didn't look anything like the Jace I had in mind, and he was so thin he was almost scrawny."
That is also the problem with the woman playing Isabelle. How am I supposed to believe that she is a fighter if she is so thin?

message 34: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Ryann wrote: "Yeah, but Isabelle was thin in the books too, and tall. "

But she was tall, if I understand it correctly she was unusually tall and that alone would have granted her some strength which the actress playing her surely did not have.
I know there is a tendency in mainstream films to have women/girls be thin and small, but this is ridiculous.

Meghan Mckenna I don't think that the person for Isabelle suited the character from the books. She was hardly tall, but I thought that she was good in the fight scenes with the whip and stuff that was good.

Andrea yeah, they kind of ruined the reputation of the book....the book is less sappy but the movie,..some of the scenes made me cringe and book jace is much better, i mean jamie is a good actor but movie jace lost some of his sass. and lily collins is too beautiful to play Clary. I'm sort of disappointed in the movie, because they turned it into a mushy romance even though the book is not that kind of mushy.

message 37: by Mariana (last edited Aug 26, 2013 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana Andre wrote: "He did turn in City of Ashes yes, in City of Bones there was no mentioning of his biting Raphael (or Elliot) having any effect on him.

Mariana wrote: "I didn't really notice the voice change , but..."

I think if the actors read the books, they'd be able to act more like their character. But I agree, the actors themselves are great, just not in this particular movie.

Mariana Andre wrote: "Ryann wrote: "Yeah, but Isabelle was thin in the books too, and tall. "

But she was tall, if I understand it correctly she was unusually tall and that alone would have granted her some strength wh..."

Isabelle was supposed to be beautiful, not just okay. What I'd like to know is where in the books did it say that Clary was prettier than Isabelle?

Mariana Ryann wrote: "I was mad to hear about Jamie. He didn't look anything like the Jace I had in mind, and he was so thin he was almost scrawny."

Aww...that sounds so sad.

message 40: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I absolutely loved it! It was awesome.

Nurlely Andre wrote: "That is also the problem with the woman playing Isabelle. How am I supposed to believe that she is a fighter if she is so thin? "

Jessica Alba in Dark Angel and Kate Beckinsale had to be totally skinny in the series and movies, but they did pull out the tough-heroine characters. Isabelle should be able to attract any males with her stunning look. And she should be a 'fierce' fighter.
Miscast.

Nurlely Mariana wrote: "Isabelle was supposed to be beautiful, not just okay. What I'd like to know is where in the books did it say that Clary was prettier than Isabelle? "

I think only Jace (and Simon) will consider Clary to be more beautiful than Isabelle. From Clary's point of view, I imagine Isabelle as a super model shadowhunter. Like younger black haired Adriana Lima.

message 43: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Nurlely wrote: "Andre wrote: "That is also the problem with the woman playing Isabelle. How am I supposed to believe that she is a fighter if she is so thin? "

Jessica Alba in Dark Angel and Kate Beckinsale had t..."

Well Jessica Alba could pull it off and Beckinsale could pull it of in Underworld 1+2, don't let us talk about number 4. However these two had very obvious super powers, that at least makes it somewhat better, but was there any explanation of Isabelle using strength runes and all? Not really. Well not in City of Bones. In City of Ashes there was suddenly talk about Shadowhunter muscles.

And its true: Clary did consider Isabelle looking like a supermodel.

Nurlely No. 4... LOL. That was a rather disappointment. I was like... That's all?

I just read the review on our local tabloid. It seems that the reviewer was not impressed with the movie. He tried not to 'punish' the movie too much, but his feeling is loud and clear. I know his comment was not biased and made based on the movie only.

It's getting difficult to feel optimistic now...

Olivia I understand that appearances aren't everything (and I have nothing against Lilly Collins who is gorgeous and talented) but surely they could have found a lithe, green-eyed, wavy read-haired actress to play Clary?! Also, Jamie Campbell - Bower is quite creepy and I can only see him in my mind as one of those three sadistic vampires from that ridiculous Twilight series. Clare places great significance on the appearance of her characters throughout the series and I feel that the film has let her and the readers down on the casting front.

Bekxy ive read the book but not seen the movie. really wanted to but now you guys kinda changed that a bit...

Nurlely Olivia wrote: "Clare places great significance on the appearance of her characters throughout the series and I feel that the film has let her and the readers down on the casting front. "

You should have read Cassie's comments. She said those actors/actress were what she has been thinking of the perfect persons as Jace, Simon, Clary and the rest of her characters.
I believe Ms Clare will not say anything against the casting, but she surely didn't have to say that.

message 48: by Andre (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:43PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre Nurlely wrote: "You should have read Cassie's comments. She said those actors/actress were what she has been thinking of the perfect persons as Jace, Simon, Clary and the rest of her characters.
I believe Ms Clare will not say anything against the casting, but she surely didn't have to say that. "

I have the link below. And also one commenting how quickly she jumped ship after the film's release: http://flavorwire.com/411365/cassanda...

Olivia wrote: ". Clare places great significance on the appearance of her characters throughout the series and I feel that the film has let her and the readers down on the casting front. "

Take a look at this article where she claims to have been involved so she apparently was not "let down" by anyone: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news...

"Jamie really astonished us all by how much he captured what Jace is like on the page," says Clare, adding that newcomer Godfrey Gao -- playing Brooklyn's High Warlock Magnus Bane -- most closely resembles her own mental picture of the character.

Nurlely I think Ms Clare needs to learn from Stephenie Meyer's mistakes. The more she tries to explain any flaws in her books (or movie adaptation), the less impressive she will be.
I think she was probably weak in Math and World's history.

message 50: by Andre (new) - rated it 1 star

Andre I wasn't good in history as well I was I think average, but still I managed to do some research and even if it might not be extensive, it probably is not, I can state my sources and when there is a mistake I will admit it.
Meyer never did, trust me her Twilight Guide was a mess, and I doubt Clare does as well. At least what seems to have happened now that the movie is out does not suggest that.

« previous 1 3