The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2013 September Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 24, 2013 03:56PM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments In honor of the Hugo award, given out in late August/early September this month’s Reading Challenge is to read a fantasy or science fiction book of your choosing. (Or if you'd like, you could even try out a former Hugo winner.)

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 389 comments Hey, I have a stack of Connie Willis' books to (re)read....

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm foi

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to read the Giver

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (sudsandbrewer) | 30 comments I am going to read Son of Neptune.

message 6: by Kira (last edited Aug 27, 2013 04:17PM) (new)

Kira (kiramoody) | 17 comments Ooh you just made my fantasy obsessed brain very happy : ) it's hard to pick one since I read so many, but I think I'll read Deadly Forecast by Victoria Laurie or Vengeance Born(
I don't know the author but its a Reader's Choice title).

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments Pick one? Only one? GASP! I just started 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea today. How cool is that?

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I am going to read Laddertop vol 1 by Orson Scott Card, unfortunately vol 2 seems to not be coming out until Nov.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments Carolyn wrote: "I am going to read Laddertop vol 1 by Orson Scott Card, unfortunately vol 2 seems to not be coming out until Nov."

since this one is so short, zi might also read Wind up Girl (if I can make it download right).

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 19 comments I started The Best of Connie Willis: Award-Winning Stories yesterday - it's a collection of short stories, and all of them have won the Hugo or the Nebula (some both!)
I'm only halfway through the second story, but really enjoying it so far!

message 11: by Vern (new)

Vern (vernwaters) | 1 comments I have Ready Player One in my stack of books waiting for me...

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments I'm going to read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. So excited, I have heard this book is really good!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I'm planning on reading the last book in Rick Yancey's "Monstrumologist" series, The Final Descent if I get it in time. If not, will read, A Short Stay in Hell.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Maggie wrote: "I'm foi"

Maggie wrote: "I'm going to read the Giver"

I just finished reading the Giver a week or so ago. How do you like it so far?

Ironically, I read it after just finishing reading the Matched trilogy by Allie Condie. I didn't realize how alike those two would be.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole | 2 comments I'm going to read Feed by Mira Grant.

message 16: by Brody (new)

Brody | 3 comments Carolyn wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "I am going to read Laddertop vol 1 by Orson Scott Card, unfortunately vol 2 seems to not be coming out until Nov."

since this one is so short, zi might also read Wind up Girl (if I..."

Windup Girl is amazing.

message 17: by Brody (new)

Brody | 3 comments New Margaret Atwood?? Yes, time for MaddAdam. (I know the author doesn't think of it as SF, but if it looks like a duck etc etc.)

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I finished Laddertop vol.1 this weekend, I will reserve judgement until I read vol. 2. Now I will start Windup Girl

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments I had a trip this weekend and listened to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I finished it today. So I'm finished with the September Challenge. Hooray!

message 20: by Allen (last edited Sep 03, 2013 04:36AM) (new)

Allen (allengreenwell) | 19 comments I just started The Fellowship of the Ring. This is my first time reading The Lord of the Rings series. The October book for our book club is The Windup Girl. Too bad that isn't September's book!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Vern wrote: "I have Ready Player One in my stack of books waiting for me..."

Vern- I loved Ready Player One! If you like audiobooks, Wil Wheaton narrated it and did a great job. Definitely increased the nerd quotient of the whole thing. :-)

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

The Hugos were announced on Sunday: http://www.thehugoawards.org/
Anyone reading Redshirts?

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I am going to read "Among Others" by Jo Walton.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I am also listening to "The Discovery of Witches", and I really like it so far.

message 25: by Nielson (new)

Nielson | 4 comments I'm going to read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It has been years since I've read it, and I want to read it again before the movie comes out.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments Just finished the challenge! For my fantasy pick I read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (a retelling of one of Grimm's fairy tales). I absolutely loved it!

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Brittany wrote: "Just finished the challenge! For my fantasy pick I read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (a retelling of one of Grimm's fairy tales). I absolutely loved it!"

Enna Burning, the second in that series, is my favorite. It's a little darker, but very good. Keep reading!

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments Jennifer wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Just finished the challenge! For my fantasy pick I read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (a retelling of one of Grimm's fairy tales). I absolutely loved it!"

Enna Burning, the secon..."

Yay! I'm excited. Planning on reading that book next.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I tried windup girl, I don't care for it! I am not going to finish. I might try Enders game.

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Jackie wrote: "I am also listening to "The Discovery of Witches", and I really like it so far."

I really enjoyed reading this one. The second book had a really different feel with the change in setting, but I really enjoyed it too. Can't wait for the next book in the series to come out!

message 31: by Kira (last edited Sep 11, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Kira (kiramoody) | 17 comments I read Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson. I started it Sept. 1st and couldn't put it down. The characters are well-developed and likable. The plot drug a bit in the middle, but kept the reader engaged. 4.5 stars. It's on the Reader's Choice list this time and it's worth the read/listen if you haven't already tried it.

message 32: by De (new)

De | 12 comments I thought Windup Girl was amazing. However, be warned that there are a couple of unsavory scenes. There are two stories set in the same story line in his book of short stories, Pump Six. He has also written for young adults. Shipbreaker is brilliant.
I've read 'Redshirts' and 'On a Red Station, Drifting'. Redshirts has a Galaxy Quest feeling to it, funny but with feeling. I really liked On a Red Station,Drifting. The Asian culture aspect gave it a different perspective than some other space station stories. I've also read 'The Emperor's Soul' by Sanderson. Set in the same storyline as 'Elantris' (a Reader's Choice) it's been my favorite so far, both of his work and the Hugos I've read this year.

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I know you've all been waiting to hear about the Summer Reading Challenge drawing winner. I've finally posted the drawing winner under the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge link.

Thanks for your patience with the delay!

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments I just finished Shine, The Knowing Ones, I am guessing the Genre is YA Fantasy. I started slow but ended well. Now I am reading the Guardians of Ga'Hoole, which I am guessing is also fantasy. I am not that big on Sci-Fi so I will probably stick to the fantasy side of this challenge.

message 35: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments Already read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, and just finished the next book in that series Enna Burning. Happy to say I loved the second book as much as the first!

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiaw) I read Ender's Game/Orson Scott Card the other night. There will probably be renewed interest in this book and the series since there is an upcoming movie.

message 37: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 108 comments I've been reading various H.P. Lovecraft short stories.
"Howard Phillips Lovecraft was an American author of fantasy, horror and science fiction. He is notable for blending elements of science fiction and horror; and for popularizing 'cosmic horror': the notion that some concepts, entities or experiences are barely comprehensible to human minds, and those who delve into such risk their sanity."
Introduction to "The Colour of Space."
I have read and enjoyed so far this month:
"The Dunwich Horror" (freaky)
"The Alchemist" (reread, it's a favorite)
"The Beast in the Cave" (reread: favorite)
"The Cats of Ulthar" (another fun one)
"The Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn" (shudder)
I plan to read a Cthulu story and finish "The Colour of Space" by month's end and perhaps several others.
By the way, much of Lovecraft is available in the public domain. There is a, website dedicated to him and his works. Just search using his name.

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 923 comments JoAnn wrote: "By the way, much of Lovecraft is available in the public domain. There is a, website dedicated to him and his works. Just search using his name...."

Thanks, JoAnn! I did not know that.

message 39: by Nephi (new)

Nephi Jenks | 3 comments This one might be considered more of a techno thriller, but I just finished Black Order by James Rollins.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments I can't wait to start my latest fantasy; it just came in today: Biting Bad. It's the eighth in the series and a fun urban fantasy. (Yes, the main character is a vampire.)

message 41: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Bass | 2 comments I like the 3 part series by Garth Nix:
1.Sabriel
2.Lirael
3.Abhorsen
They are very interesting and are hard to put down

message 42: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Bass | 2 comments I have really enjoyed the Sevenwater Trilogy by Juliet Marillier.
1. Daughter of the Forest
2. Son of the Shadows
3. Child of the Prophecy

I have liked all the books I have read by Juliet Marillier

message 43: by Allen (new)

Allen (allengreenwell) | 19 comments Just finished The Fellowship of the Ring. I never read it as a teenager (like most people did in junior high). I think I would have liked it more then.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the giver and I loved it

message 45: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments Just finished River Secrets, the third Bayern Book. Can't wait to read the 4th one in the series!

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Jackie wrote: "I am going to read "Among Others" by Jo Walton."

I finished this book today, and rated it 3 stars. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I was a big fan of SF, as the main character in the book spent a lot of time reading, talking about, and referencing SF.

message 47: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (jusknitting) | 137 comments i just finished The Capture: Book 1 in the Guardians of Ga'hoole.

message 48: by Brody (new)

Brody | 3 comments I finished MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood. Satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Her writing really stays with you. I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for awhile.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Ann wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I am also listening to "The Discovery of Witches", and I really like it so far."

I really enjoyed reading this one. The second book had a really different feel with the change in se..."

This book is so large, that I would have been better off reading than listening. I Ike the story line, but there is a lot of detail that I might have skimmed if I had a book.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 389 comments Just finished Doomsday Book and read Firewatch, which I hadn't been aware of before. It was written 10 years before Doomsday, but takes place not long after (or starts not long after... then happens before? Or after? Darn time travel.) Anyway, it's just a short story but I really enjoyed it. I think I'm reading a book for review on my blog next, but then I'll be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog, Blackout, All Clear, and (hopefully) the short story anthology of Willis' that just came out.
:)

« previous 1