City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Magnus in the movie (Spoiler)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (last edited Aug 24, 2013 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Too all those people who have problem with Magnus and his acting... I want to give him A LOT of credit. This is his first American movie he have played in. Not only that, he have to learn English for the movie as well. He is actually pretty damn popular actor in his country. I seen him act in his own language movie... HE'S IS GOOD! You just can't pluck a foreign-speaking guy to America and expect him to know English right away. And to see that Godfrey Gao have less then a year to learn it I give him a high five! His English is beautiful and all he need to improve is his acting in the next American movie. I can understand that it is hard to learn English as well as learning to act well in American movie. I believe he WILL do better. Give him a break guys.... And no, I'm not mad btw :) Just saying. Any conflicts?

Bianca I'm seeing the movie tomorrow. What's the actor's name?

Avani Bianca wrote: "I'm seeing the movie tomorrow. What's the actor's name?"

Godfrey Gao.

Kimberly I didn't even notice his english was off. he sounded fine to me. and I think he was a perfect choice for magnus

message 5: by Angela (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Kimberly wrote: "I didn't even notice his english was off. he sounded fine to me. and I think he was a perfect choice for magnus"

That why I am trying to say :) He have to get his English right before he start acting for CoB. Now he got that out of the way, he can now concentrated on improving his acting :D And of course he is the perfect Magnus :))) It just that there others people who complained how horrible he is >:(

Delia I loved him as Magnus. Besides Simon I thought he was one of the best cast of the movie.

message 7: by Italia8989 (last edited Aug 26, 2013 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Italia8989 I don't care if English is not his Native language. As long as he is a good actor and his character stays true to the books, it doesn't matter.

Hannah I didn't have a problem with Godfrey at all, I think he's great. I do wish they had kept some of Magnus' funnier lines, like "try not to murder any of my guests" or other sarcastic lines, I think they made him seem a little too serious when Magnus is really kind of out there and funny.

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) I like Godfrey Gao as Magnus although they didn't give him the Magnus humor lines, as Hannah said, which was a bummer. Gao is really hot too;)

Temple Rose He has the perfect looks and I have no doubts in his ability to portray Magnus, HOWEVER, in the book Magnus is funny and flamboyant. He was too serious in the movie. The scene with him wearing his underwear was just awkward.

Juggles I agree with Temple. He did look the part and his English sounded fine, but he didn't have any of the humor he had in the book. That was the only drawback.

Nurlely Angela wrote: "You just can't pluck a foreign-speaking guy to America and expect him to know English right away. And to see that Godfrey Gao have less then a year to learn it I give him a high five! "

What do you mean??? Less than a year??
Godfrey Gao and family moved to Canada when he was 9.
He studied at a university in Canada. He speaks English.

message 13: by Veronica (last edited Aug 26, 2013 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica I had no issue with his English, just his accent. It sounded too white/American (no offense, I'm white myself!) for his looks and was a little choppy. I actually thought he was voiced over at some parts because it didn't seem to match what he was doing...

I actually hoped he'd keep some of his Asian accent! >.<

Casey Exactly, he's learning a new language and has to act using that language. This is a learning experience for him. Like most authors and actors his abilities and talents and bloom. I need to watch some of his other works too. Does anyone know of a good movie to watch first?

Caelyn Haupini I imagined Magnus as Mr. Chow from The Hangover when I was reading the books lol so Godfrey Gao is a HUGE improvement. He's super sexy and a great actor!

Veronica Caelyn wrote: "I imagined Magnus as Mr. Chow from The Hangover when I was reading the books lol so Godfrey Gao is a HUGE improvement. He's super sexy and a great actor!"

Haha! I was watching Hangover III yesterday and I kind of thought the same thing! But only because I imagined Magnus being shorter, not 6'4" like Godfrey Gao, lol.

Michelle Zapf-bélanger Um, guys? I don't know what you're talking about. Godfrey Gao has been speaking English since childhood. It is not a new language for him. I don't know where you got that from.

Ashley-Anne Michelle wrote: "Um, guys? I don't know what you're talking about. Godfrey Gao has been speaking English since childhood. It is not a new language for him. I don't know where you got that from."

I thought it was wierd that he had an English name and couldn't speak English...

Susan I liked Godfrey Gao as Magnus especially looks wise.........yeah I think the few lines he had came off kinda serious and not very Magnusy but that wasn't his fault, he hadn't read the books so it was really up to the director to explain " Hey this line needs to be said with a smirk or this scene needs to be acted with some charisma"

Veronica Michelle wrote: "Um, guys? I don't know what you're talking about. Godfrey Gao has been speaking English since childhood. It is not a new language for him. I don't know where you got that from."

Yeah, but if you look at any interview of his, he still has an Asian accent. So maybe making himself sound completely American made his English change a bit.

Nurlely Michelle wrote: "Um, guys? I don't know what you're talking about. Godfrey Gao has been speaking English since childhood. It is not a new language for him. I don't know where you got that from."

Maybe from not diligent enough browsing the internet?
It is so easy to know that English is not a new thing for Gao since his family moved to Canada when he was 9. Simply type his name on Google. It doesn't require magic... ;)