The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Am I the only one who is really against making a movie out of this?
dorottya tihanyi dorottya Aug 24, 2013 12:18PM
This is the very first time I don't want a book to be made into a movie and I'm not sure why. Does anyone have similar thought or is it just me and yoou're all excited like hell?

You're not obligated to like the movie. It's not going to change the book. The book is still the same, it's still the same piece of art. It doesn't matter what other people think of the story, or if they judge it based on the film instead of the book. Does it matter?

Just remember that as fans, we have no ownership over the books. There is no reader/writer agreement to please us. We are merely given the privilege of enjoying something that someone else has created and it is up to them do with it what they will.

It's completely understandable to feel that way.

I am not fussed either way. I'm not really excited about the film prospect, I've seen a few pictures from screening and what not, but I'm just a bit 'meh' about it. Too many books to be excited for at the moment! If I do watch the film it will be when it's on netflix (in a few years!). I'm not paying to see it in the cinema that's for sure.

At least it will bring more fans to the book, which hopefully they will read rather than take the film as gospel.

I'm not sure. The last time I was excited for a movie adaption was when they decided to make a live action movie about Avater - The Last Airbender. You all know how that turned out. *heavy sigh*

The thing is, movie adaptions sometimes bring in new readers. Sometimes though they only fuel movie fandom work which can be really annoying to people who actually read the book.
For example, I hated Ghibli's adaption of 'Howl's Moving Castle' because it exchanged the essence of the book with some stupid war plot and unimportant steampunk things. Unfortunately, you can never ever tell that to anyone because everyhwere people are like 'BUT I liked the movie' as if that's going to change my opinion. Newsflash, it isn't. The movie was yet another horrible adaption by Ghibli. Okay, it looked nice but what the heck? Ghibli's adaption of Earthsea also erased the essence of the two books it took things from to adapt.

The good thing here is though that we're not talking about a tv movie or an animated movie but something where the author actually seems to have something to say. Or at least it appears to be that way.

Maybe this is going to be a good movie.
Or maybe it suddenly changes the plot halfway through ('About a Boy' did this, the book at least made Marcus grow up). Or other things. Whatever. At least you got Goodreads.

It's like how Hazel explained it. You've cherished this book so much that you don't want to share it, you want to keep it to yourself.
You don't want to anything to change, like to protect it, but we all know how every book made into a movie, is a slap in the face. You still might enjoy it, but it won't be the same, because it's already been 'manipulated'.

Ayesha (last edited Aug 25, 2013 01:45AM ) Aug 25, 2013 01:44AM   0 votes
Isn't the book already overrated? The movie will attract more people to read the book and it will turn out to be the most overrated book of the century. No, I'm not excited about the movie.

This book is literally my Imperial Affliction, and I think it is that for most people who read it. We don't want to believe that anyone else knows about it, even though we know that they do. I feel like if the movie is a big blockbuster kind of movie it will be terrible because it will be too commercialized. I felt this same way about The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I feel like that movie only expanded on the vision of the book, and it did not ruin it. I think if this movie is done in the same way, with very small release, then it could be amazing. Right now I do not know if that is how it is going to happen, but I feel confident about who they have chosen to play the characters, and that is always a great start for me.

Muhammed Saeed I feel the same
Sep 16, 2013 02:19AM · flag

Im the kind of person who needs everything to be exactly the same as it is in the book which i know isnt possible. I loved this book so much but i dont think it would be as good as a film because part of the reason why this book is so loved is because of the way john green writes and i dont think you could capture that in a film.

the hard thing with the movie will be the ending, it has to end on a note of optimism and sadness. if they over play the emotions of the story then the film will be just another bland tear jerker. if they can nail the humour and the pathos then it could be a great thing

so saying i don't think i'll watch it, the daughter in hospital storyline is too similar to my experiences with my own daughter and i still find it hard to look at images from that year without tearing up

I am excited about it, Yet really worried. I feel like Hollywood is going to screw up the entire story.

Lama (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:45AM ) Aug 25, 2013 02:42AM   0 votes
I know how you feel. I love this book and the thought of making it into a movie upsets me because of the feeling that it will ruin the meaning of the book. If it is made into a movie, many people who have not read the book will watch the movie instead and judge/rate it from what they have watched. How well the actors and actresses act and the way they look will affect their ratings and opinions.

I really don't want them ruining it for me. I don't like the actors either

I feel the same.They are gonna ruin the story turning it into a movie.And i don't likethe actors the picked, i don't really know how this is gonna end up.

dorottya wrote: "This is the very first time I don't want a book to be made into a movie and I'm not sure why. Does anyone have similar thought or is it just me and yoou're all excited like hell?"

DO NOT WANT IT TO BE TURNED INTO A MOVIE. Same goes for Divergent. Hate the cast and that is so not how I imagined FOUR and Augustus and it will kill me if they don't do justice to the book and overplay the characters or make it cheesy. I will pull my hair out. I can just see it happening.

Italia8989 (last edited Aug 25, 2013 04:08PM ) Aug 25, 2013 04:07PM   0 votes
It will definitely be hard, if not impossible, to get the movie to justify the brilliance of the books. I think it would still be a great movie; but everyone knows what happens in the end. In the book, it is realistic and heartbreaking, but the movie, the ending will just make people disappointed.

I'm against their making a movie of any book I like.

I will be interested to see how the film turns out but I really loved the book so I doubt the film will live up to it and I'm sad that I imagine it will mean people are less likely to read the book and just watch the film instead.

I don't really care. I loved the book and I love reading but that does not mean that everyone els does. I didn't watch a twilight film till the 4th 1 come out but i liked them so I read the books as well. I would have never read them books if it was not for the films so... I read beautiful creatures and loved it but then they made a film and it was crap. Lets just hope they don't mess it up. I have to agree though iv seen the actors and there nothing like what I had pictured in my mind

Muhammed Saeed Same as me I don't think I would ever get used to (Hazel and GUS) movie edition ...more
Sep 16, 2013 02:22AM · flag