Wilmette Public Library discussion

Book Club Discussions > World War Z Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2013 11:55AM) (new)

As autumn approaches, so too does Halloween and the up-kick all things spooky. For this fall, we'll be reading "World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks. Comments can be posted at any time.

All local entries will qualify for a chance to win the new book by Marisha Pessl, "Night Film."

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

We especially recommend the audiobook, which is also available as an eAudiobook for download via www.mymediamall.net. Winner of an Audie Award, it includes an all-star ensemble cast including Henry Rollins, Carl Reiner, Alan Alda, Mark Hamill and more.

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliemae) | 35 comments The audio is indeed enjoyable. Listening to the varied voices takes the audio experience to another level; it brought me more into the story a lot sooner than single narration ones have typically done. It's almost comparable to a watching movie somehow, minus the visual images.

message 4: by Brendan (new)

Brendan I've already read the book personally so I think I'm going to take this chance to listen to the Audio book and see how it compares to my reading experience. That is a stellar cast, Mark Hamill is one of the best voice actors in the business.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rowley | 2 comments I agree with Jillian, I am listening to the audio and it's a stunning performance. The cast includes Murray Abraham, Alan Alda, John Tuturro, Rene Auberjonis, and Nathan Fillion. It won the Audie award (Audio Publishers) for best multi-voiced performance. Didn't see the movie but plan to... If you like this you might like the audio recording of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliemae) | 35 comments Nancy wrote: "I agree with Jillian, I am listening to the audio and it's a stunning performance. The cast includes Murray Abraham, Alan Alda, John Tuturro, Rene Auberjonis, and Nathan Fillion. It won the Audie a..."

Nancy, I've been wanting to read "The Passage" for a while now, but I've been deterred by the 36 hour audio time. Did you read as well, or just listen to? Would you recommend one over the other for that title?

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rowley | 2 comments I listened to "The Passage" on cd because I have a long commute so really got into it on those long rides to and from work. For longer works I usually choose audios (WPL has this as a downloadable audiobook) over books. By the way Cronin came out with the 2nd in the Passage Trilogy, "The Twelve".

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliemae) | 35 comments Nancy wrote: "I listened to "The Passage" on cd because I have a long commute so really got into it on those long rides to and from work. For longer works I usually choose audios (WPL has this as a downloadable ..."

I have actually been listening to "The Passage" all weekend now! I downloaded it from the library and I cannot stop. I'm about halfway through now and I'm surprised that I waited this long to read it. It's so well written and is completely captivating.