YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Book Adaptations > City of Bones Movie

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 228 comments Mod
So what did you guys think of the City of Bones movie, for those of you who have seen it?

Simon was my favorite aspect of the whole thing. I thought his character was portrayed well, with plenty of snarky remarks and overall cuteness. Jocelyn was pretty awesome and kick-butt, too. The movie started out promising, even including the actual poem from the poetry reading (nefarious loins, lol), but as one plot change built upon another, I thought it would have been just as easy to stick more closely to the original plot. Maybe they were just going for more action and special effects? Who knows? The whole thing had a very whiplash-inducing effect, switching from major scene to major scene in the blink of an eye. I especially can't get over how they changed Valentine and his "minions" Blackwell and Pangborn into something of a joke. It kind of ruined any level of seriousness the movie had retained up until that point. Oh well....

I give it a 3/5, for Simon. *sigh*

message 2: by Renuka (new)

Renuka  | 2 comments I think Simon as izzy were the best portrayed, and there were a lot of correct plot points. But there were also a lot of "what the heck?" moments as they changed the plot order around multiple times. It was odd having a portal in the institute. I also did not like the portrayal of valentine, he was less elegant that I expected. Clary and jace were good too, but less snarky than I'd hoped they'd be.

message 3: by Renuka (new)

Renuka  | 2 comments Oh and while Godfrey GAO looked like Magnus, he didn't sound like Magnus. He was too casual and informal to speak. More Americanized :(

message 4: by Cassie (last edited Aug 24, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Cassie (cannefrye) | 226 comments Mod
The movie was just okay. It started off very promising, and I was actually thinking it'd be really good! Then they changed a number of things and made the romance between Clary and Jace so incredibly cheesy. What was up with the score and the swelling music? The film also failed to explain/explore the fascinating shadowhunter world! And what about Luke's backstory? The Jocelyn/Luke/Valentine story? Also, those who haven't read the book wouldn't understand Hodge's motivation and why he couldn't leave the Institute.

Simon was, by far, my favorite portrayal in the film.

I liked the film, but it's definitely not the best. Wish they could have done better.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Renuka, I totally agree about Magnus. I was so looking forward to seeing him in the movie. His costume was great! But I expected him to be much more flamboyant and over the top, maybe with a more old world European accent. But his acting was dry and emotionless. They also took away some of his importance in the plot by having the portal at the Institute instead of at Madame Dorothea's. All so Jace could do that awkward hand teleportation thing...

Oh, and this may be silly, but I was thinking, you can afford special effects to make a demon, but not to make Magnus's hands glow blue when he's healing Alec??? He just kind of waved them around oddly...

I thought his booty shorts were hilarious, though.

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:39PM) (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
I think you all have managed to touch on the aspects of the movie that I found both appealing and lacking.

For the most part, my favorite character was Simon. He was probably the one that was portrayed best in the whole movie - not to mention, he was pretty easy on the eyes. ;) (If I were Clary, I would've had no trouble picking between movie Simon and movie creeper-looking Jace, lol) I think they did really well with Jocelyn. I mean, she kicked ass with a frying pan and fridge door - so awesome!

But then you have the lackluster characters. Jace... he just wasn't how I pictured him at all. I guess his features were just too... hard and angular. I dunno. He just looked like a creeper. However, the acting wasn't horrible and he kinda grew on me as the movie went on. And I'm not going to even begin with Valentine. What happened to the beautiful, charasmatic guy that Jocelyn fell for and all his friends adored? He looked like a person who had stepped off the set of Pirates of the Caribbean or something!

Like you guys, I totally loved Magnus. <3 I was sooo looking forward to him being involved and he got a whopping, what, five minutes of camera time out of two hours? I think they nailed the wardrobe - it was eccentric enough for the guy (lol, booty shorts!) but his hair wasn't spikey! Plus they ignored the whole fact that Magnus should've had the rune book...

I dunno, as a whole I felt the movie was okay. It was definitely worth the eight dollars I spent on the ticket. The special effects were awesome and the demons looked plain scary! But as far as the movie sticking to the story - it wasn't so great. The fist thirty minutes or so were pretty good, then it just kinda went downhill.

And I realize that the romance between Jace and Clary started in the first book and all, but it was just waaay too forced in the movie. "Oh, we just met fifteen hours ago? Let's make out!" And it wasn't so much making out as eating each other's face and trying to have sex with their clothes on. >.>

Was it great? No. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. And no matter how dismal the box office report, I'll be seeing City of Ashes when it comes out.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille (chammille) | 5 comments Like you guys, I totally love Simon! That boy is BEAUTIFUL, and he did a really good job doing his American accent. I saw his interviews and when I found out he was Irish, I was so impressed with the accent he used in the movie. Casting did a good job with Simon xD

Clary was pretty okay too. Her acting was pretty good, and her running scene in the beginning gave off an urgency; that was nice! Jocelyn, Luke, Isabelle, Alec, and Hodge were well cast and their acting was great!

My only problems were with Jace, Valentine, his two minions, and Magnus. Magnus looked perfect, but his acting was terrible! He lacked the intimidating, sassy personality I always pictured him to have. Valentine's minions were complete idiots. The way the movie portrayed Valentine was a complete psycho, and I expected him to be more of a poised and mysterious villain. Movie Valentine was too intense and also too young looking to me.

And then, there's Jace. I expected him to be a lot cuter, actually. He kind of grew on me through out watching the movie, though. His acting wasn't bad, but he lacked something compared to book Jace. Movie Jace was kind of soft, if you ask me.

One thing that they added to the movie not from the book that I actually liked was the part when Jace explain how certain music affects demons. As a musician and a classical music lover, I found this very interesting! And I thought it was hilarious when they did a close-up of Beethoven's runes xD

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Wow, I had no idea he was Irish. He did do a great job with his accent. And he's totally cute.

I liked the part about the music, too. It seemed like something Cassandra Clare might have actually added.

message 9: by low (new)

low (lows) | 142 comments I just saw it :D

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille (chammille) | 5 comments Robert Sheehan (Simon) actually had to do a little training to get that American accent xD

message 11: by Maren K (last edited Aug 24, 2013 05:35PM) (new)

Maren K (mkgunning) | 6 comments AMAZING. There were a couple plot changes, but to be honest I read the book so long ago I barely noticed. Usually, I like my movies to be as exact as possible, but I understood that any changes were just to streamline the plot and cut out some travel/explanation time. But other than that, totally FLAWLESS.
I loved how all my favorite Jace quips were there word for word (in fact, I annoyed the whole cinema by yelling out Jace's lines just before he actually said them).
And the cast was PERFECT. I knew Lily would be just right for Clary, but I had my doubts about Jamie (don't hurt me). I have to say, he totally blew away my expectations, though, as did Izzy and Alec. Simon...oh, Simon. I nearly cried during the part where he told Clary he loved her...he's just the sweetest thing. And not too bad to look at, either ;)
Valentine and Magnus were a disappointment. Valentine behaved like a perfect Valentine, but he looked wrong, while Magnus looked perfect but didn't encapsulate Magnus's sassy, eccentric nature.
I loved the portal, and the music thing.
All in all, it smashed my expectations out of the park. A must-see for all CoB/TMI lovers, though not for any adults who are looking for something deep and meaningful.

message 12: by Turtlefrog (new)

Turtlefrog Maren wrote: "AMAZING. There were a couple plot changes, but to be honest I read the book so long ago I barely noticed. Usually, I like my movies to be as exact as possible, but I understood that any changes wer..."

I totally agree. I loved the movie. Well said.

message 13: by SHINY (new)

SHINY | 339 comments I LOVED THE MOVIE!!!! SURE, THEY CHANGED SOME OF IT, BUT THAT'S BOUND TO HAPPEN. IT WAS STILL AWESOME NONETHELESS!

message 14: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  | 18 comments I didn't like the movie but yes Simon was so adorable! The plot was changed so much and I didn't feel any chemistry between Lilly Collins and the Jamie Campbell dude despite that they are gf-bf in real life. Jace was also supposed to be like a major sarcastic asshole but in the movie he wasn't.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 7 comments Okay I confess I'm not done with the book yet, but I liked the movie--I liked the way they used the runes in particular. Magnus looked the part to me, but I wish they would have kept the invitation in the movie, because the party seemed so random when I first saw it.

The attraction between Clary and Jace in the movie was way over the top and forced as well. I'm liking the book better in that aspect.

Basically the movie was eye candy.

message 16: by Wells Margo (new)

Wells Margo (pearapple) | 110 comments I loved it

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I really didn't like this. I wanted to like it, but no...

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicadidato) | 2 comments I really liked it, I think they casted it perfectly :)

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya Pankratz (simply__stardustx) | 98 comments I didn't like the movie at all, and I HATED the cast.

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 62 comments I liked it the first time I watched because it reminded me of the book, and I love the book to no end. But I rewatched soon afterwards, and I just... it's not a very good adaptation, put simply.
I think the cast mostly did a good job--Robert Sheehan and Jemima West were perfect as Simon and Isabelle. Jamie Campbell Bower, despite him not matching my imagination of Jace at all, also did a great job.
Whoever wrote the screenplay really needed to add more lines to Magnus's part. And also needs to read the rest of the books... Why on earth did they say that Portals are a natural entity? Are they not aware that Magnus needs to open Portals later on? :P
The soundtrack was okay, except for the the loud Demi Lovato during the greenhouse scene, that was cheesy xD. The CGI was good, the demons looked real.
One thing I cannot stand is the fact that Clary had that whole dramatic freezing-the-demons scene and then they just awkwardly clamber through the frozen demons. Why freeze them and then not kill them while they can't move? It made no sense.
Overall, the way the Shadow World works was not explained very well. My mom, who hasn't read the books, watched with me and she was extremely confused, haha. Hopefully they do a better job with City of Ashes (I think they're doing a CoA movie, right?)

message 21: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I like it. particularly the cast. I love Jamie Campbell Bower, he definitely acts like Jace. That sarcasm and bad boy looks. It just fit!

I think Hotel Dumort is supposed to be in City of Ashes.I hate that they ruined the Demon Motorcycle. UGGH!

Claudia the Night Owl (claudiamancilla) | 34 comments Oh oh i loved it!

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia Wang (liamalfoy) | 85 comments I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not sure if I want to since my friends don't like it... Though, most people either love it, or hate it.