The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 5: Chapter 9 - Interlude: The Lady of the Long Silence

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
This is the fifth 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from Chapter 9 - Interlude: The Lady of the Long Silence.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Well since I seem to be the only one reading/posting ATM, I figure I may as well post as I go.

The spider is on to the Bastards latest plan and setting a trap. I couldn't imagine why they would continue the con at this point but they find themselves broke, without a home and almost all their gear gone. They are going to need money to fight the war with the Gray King.

This book is so damn good. It's going to be hard to stop reading and go to bed.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

And I forgot to mention the twins and Bug are dead. That really sucks. I wonder if he'll replace some of the crew in the next book.

message 4: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments Rob wrote: "And I forgot to mention the twins and Bug are dead. That really sucks. I wonder if he'll replace some of the crew in the next book."

That part really did suck. As for crew, the next book does have ships...

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

So the Gray King, now Capa Razi's coup is complete. Apparently the twin female bodyguards were his siblings. I'm annoyed we don't know the why of it. I hope we find out in this book.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

So now we have a plague ship. I'm curious how that's going to fit in. On to the next section.

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) Rob wrote: "And I forgot to mention the twins and Bug are dead. That really sucks. I wonder if he'll replace some of the crew in the next book."

I was really upset when that happened. I didn't see it coming and if Jean died, I would have rage quit.

message 8: by Mpauli (last edited Sep 15, 2013 02:03PM) (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments Oh wow, way to cull the cast. I expected that not everybody of the crew would survive this and usually having twins is a convenient way to let one die and let one live, but I didn't expect both of them dying off-screen.
Bug was also on my might-get-killed list, but after the twin-massacre, I thought him save at least for a while.

After that, more death, no more Barsavis. We learned that the coup was somehow a revenge thing, so it remains to be seen what that is all about.

Kudos to Lynch. I had this book down for being a more light-hearted read, but the way he cleared half of his characters from the board changed the mood of the book a lot.

So, let's see what Locke and Jean will come up with to take revenge o the Gray King and evade the Spider at the same time.
I assume they need money now that they are broke and are going to try the Salvarra's again, just to be led into the Spider's trap.

message 9: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) Yes, the murder of the twins and Bug was one thing i did not see coming. And especially Bug's was a gigantic blow to me - i really liked the lad!

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Was definitely a surprise, certainly changed the tone of the book.

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

It's easy to predict when you've already read the book. :-P

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Understandable. Especially given the number of books we read. Hard to keep all the details straight.