You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Happiness Is.....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments It's time to start reading, so settle in with a good book, and prepare to get happy!

message 2: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Ready, set, read!

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2611 comments I am here! :)

message 4: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Heading out for a nice walk so that I can start my book- happy reading everyone!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm here! I have started reading The Name of the Star. Enjoy your books everyone! :)

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Debra and Almeta - what time did ya'll start reading? Am I going to have to penalize you?

message 7: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3631 comments Reading......

message 8: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 174 comments I am here-reading A Christmas Glass which is about a family at odds who comes together at Christmas. Tears now but sure the warm fuzzies will be at the end.

message 9: by Debra (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Debra and Almeta - what time did ya'll start reading? Am I going to have to penalize you?"

Luckily we got to gabbing and then interrupted by a nosy neighbor and then got dinner going in a crock-pot BEFORE we actually started reading. So, we hadn't started until after noon. But we ALMOST got an early start!

We're both around 50 pages into our books. Seems we should be further along by now!

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Glad to hear that distractions got in the way :) I bet it would be more than 50 pages if you weren't still distracted. But I bet you're having fun sister time, so it'll still be a happy ending!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Just checking in...due to grocery shopping, I got started an hour late. Still, the audiobook for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is under 6 hours so I'll have it finished before 7pm EST. I'm about 2 3/4 hours in, and it's certainly funny and imaginary. Steven Fry's narration is great!

message 12: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2013 06:01AM) (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Each 1* good thing I didn't expect that I'll like them. >:D

September Girls, Evermore, Alice in Zombieland

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I finished my first book, Flawed Dogs: The Shocking Raid on Westminster by Berkeley Breathed (remember the comic strip Bloom County). Extra silly with a happy ending.

Now I'm going to start The Food of Love by Anthony Capella. I've been wanting to read one of his books for a long time. Now seems like a good way to do that and read something with a happy ending.

message 14: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments I got late from the party and decided to sleepover at a friend's place so even though I haven't drunk a bit, I still am not reading. Maybe once I get home around 3am EST, I can get to reading.

Sorry about your luggage, Janice. And sorry about the lost time, Debra and Almeta. Happy reading!

message 15: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Glad to hear that distractions got in the way :) I bet it would be more than 50 pages if you weren't still distracted. But I bet you're having fun sister time, so it'll still be a happy ending!"

Yes, we have both been taking breaks to chat and to combat the mid-day need for a snooze!

message 16: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm starting to crave sweets. Don't have any here, so may have to run to the grocery store :) And of course my book is going to have descriptions of food in it.

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments I'm here and have been reading. Haven't got very far due to sewing machine issues (think it needs professional help...bit like its owner!) ;-)

message 18: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I just finished The Silver Linings Playbook-
One book toppled- then thanks to Lisa and Jaxnsmom added TWO to my TBR- that is the point of these days right?

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I might be able to squeeze one book in tomorrow. Missed joining in the fun!

message 20: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Just finished my first book, Two of a Kind, which was a contemporary romance. Now I'm on to a sci-fi tale I've been meaning to read for a while, Quarter Share, and that has great ratings.

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Am loving Joyland. It's great to be back in the saddle again with my favorite author, the King himself! Will be sad when the ride is over.

Almeta and I just ate dinner... now back to reading!

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments I'm home and have about an hour left on my audiobook.

I drove 5 hours, and the audiobook is 5-1/2 hours long, and I still have an hour left?!?!?! Something is not adding up.

I may have to have a nap because I'm still on Aloha time, I think.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. While it's not the type of book I usually choose, it was good for this fun Topper. Having Stephen Fry as narrator was a big plus. I'll get to the second book later.

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Janice wrote: "I'm home and have about an hour left on my audiobook.

I drove 5 hours, and the audiobook is 5-1/2 hours long, and I still have an hour left?!?!?! Something is not adding up.

I may have to have..."

Welcome back. I'm sure you need a nice long nap!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have finished The Name of the Star. This was also my N read for my alphabet challenge. I gave it 3 stars because it was ok but not great. It is not a happy book with regard to its subject matter but it did have a positive, closed-case ending. My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

This will most likely be the only book that I will read for this toppler as I am out on a trip tomorrow and I won't have much time at all for reading.

Happy reading everyone! : D

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Congrats to those of you who've finished your first books!

message 27: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments oups... that what happens when you change plan at te last minute without payong attention, while I really like The Golem and the Jinni I did not looked at the leght. 19 hours. I guess this one will not get finished in time. But I like it so far and it was good company while working outside.
I have started my other book. This one should be done in time.

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments I'm about halfway through Guards,Guards and still going (kind of) strong.

Well done to those who've finished their first books already!!

message 29: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments It looks like some great books being read.

Janice - I think your book couldn't decide what time zone it was in :)

Esther - too bad about the length of Golem, but I'm glad you were liking it. What are you reading now?

I was doing good, but fell asleep for a few hours. Feeling a little groggy, but a cup of tea will help with that :)

message 30: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "It looks like some great books being read.

Janice - I think your book couldn't decide what time zone it was in :)

Esther - too bad about the length of Golem, but I'm glad you were liking it. Wha..."

I am reading La Fée carabine which was also planned for this toppler and will alo be my P book. Pennac's Malausene series is a sure smile.

message 31: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I am almost finished with my first book, Falling for Love by Marie Force. Doubt I will finish more than one book since we are busy all day tomorrow.

message 32: by Roz (last edited Aug 24, 2013 07:21PM) (new)

Roz | 3631 comments I finished my first book Calling Invisible Women. I'd give it 3 stars. Parts were funny, parts sad. In the end I'd have to say it had a happy ending. Not a back-flips happy, more of a hopeful-you-go-girl happy where you feel that somehow the characters will be better for their experiences.
So now I'm moving on to a second book that I'll use for my "P" book in the alphabet challenge. I'm starting Practical Magic, but I don't know if I'll finish. I'm getting tired I have a full day tomorrow.

My review of Calling Invisible Women

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 33: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta finished her book (sorry, can't remember its title) and is now down for the count. I just finished Joyland - a 5 star story with a bittersweet ending. Now it's time for me to catch some zzzzzzzz's!

message 34: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 181 comments Finished my first book A Secret Wish by Barbara Freethy. Pretty good romance novel. Fluffy but fun. Working on second one.

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Still working on my first book and loving it :-)

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments I finished my first book for the toppler, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. While I enjoyed it, I felt a bit confused at times and gave it 4 stars.

message 37: by Ava Catherine (last edited Aug 24, 2013 08:13PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have been traveling home from Florida all day, and I have just gotten home to get a wifi connection. I have finished Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham. I love this book! It is so witty and funny in a wry, sarcastic way.

message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments I am trying to make a good dent in Charmed Life before heading out of a lovely spring day bbq. I've convinced myself that they berries haven't been touched for nearly 3 years, so another week won't hurt them, but it's soooo nice outside.

I might go and plant some eggplant and capsicum seeds and convince myself I have done something in the garden, that will take me all of 5 mins instead of 5 hours... And maybe read my book outside for the first time in months! Yay spring!

message 39: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Just finished my first book but think a short nap is called for before starting my second (it is 5.45am here after all) :-)

message 40: by Almeta (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments Finished Dogsbody and after a long nap, starting The Art of Racing in the Rain.

message 41: by Debra (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:17AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta and I had a 2 hour or so nap and are back in the race. I'm starting This Side of the Grave. Paranormal romance isn't really my thing, but I really like this fun, action-packed, page-turning, and sexy series.

Nice to see Connie and Rusalka, you two! Gardening shouldn't be on the list for a toppler, Rus! lol

message 42: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Finished The Aviator's Wife. I am so exhausted that I am off to bed. : )

message 43: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Hooray for everyone who's finished their first book!!

And for those joining us after traveling/working/partying :)

I'm a little over halfway through my second book, The Food of Love. I'm enjoying the Cyrano de Bergerac aspect, but it's also a very sexual book, a lot of which involves food.

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments I know, I know. If it was 5 degrees and raining like I HOPED it would be, I wouldn't think twice about it. But it's our first proper spring day, and the baby rosellas have been singing at me.

I've skipped the BBQ, so I had time to satisfy the spring outdoorsy urges AND finished Charmed Life. Problem is now I need to think about something for dinner. And maybe I might be able to squeeze in another book...

message 45: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments How was Dogsbody, Almeta? That's another one we have sitting on our Diana Wynne Jones shelf.

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Night, Connie and welcome back home.

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 2116 comments Back up and reading my second, have an Otter survey to do this morning then up my nans (grandmothers) so wont get much reading done for a bit.

Will drop back later though and in the meantime, happy reading!!

message 48: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Roz wrote: "I finished my first book Calling Invisible Women. I'd give it 3 stars. Parts were funny, parts sad. In the end I'd have to say it had a happy ending. Not a back-flips happy, more of a hopeful-you-g..."

Roz - I read Calling Invisible Women some time ago and while I found it OK did love Jeanne Ray's other books Eat Cake,
Julie and Romeo
Julie and Romeo Get Luckyand my real favorite Step-Ball-Change.

BTW - it interest you an others to know that Jeanne Ray is Ann Patchett's mother.

message 49: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Janice wrote: "I finished my first book for the toppler, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. While I enjoyed it, I felt a bit confused at times and gave it 4 stars."

I know there are many who love Neil Gaiman and I guess I was inspired to read the above mentioned book by others and seeing it on the best seller list. But I really found myself confused after reading this book. I now toss it up to I don't much enjoy science fiction or fantasy.

message 50: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I have a few pages left to read of my Toppler book Falling for Love and think it was a three star light read. For those familiar with Nora Roberts' books, Marie Force's title reminded me of Roberts' 11 book series about The MacGregor family. Force's book is the 4th one in a 9 part series and features a family of 5 siblings living on an island who run a marina and live in the "white house" and was inspired by the author's love of Block Island. No dysfunctional family here. Everybody loves each other and each book highlights the love lives of one of the family members.

« previous 1 3