The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gentleman Bastards > LOLM - Section 4: Interlude: Jean Tannen - Interlude: Half Crown War

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Aug 24, 2013 08:56AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This is the fourth 100 pages or so (in my edition).

Please keep all discussion to the events and speculation from Interlude: Jean Tannen - Interlude: Half Crown War.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Jean back story was really interesting. I would have never guessed he was a merchant's son. I liked the part with him being sent to learn to fight.

Chains back story is even more interesting. Especially since we find about his connection to the sword master, and the contrast of what's become of the 3 of them.

Locke is in a fix that likely the Gray King foresaw. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gray King himself told Barvosi how Locke would be vulnerable. Or sent the man that did. He's likely got the Capa right where he wants him. Poor Locke. Good thing his friends are standing by.

I'm disappointed that we skip over Locke's time on the farm. I wanted to meet Chain's other friend. I did enjoy the Half-Crown War though. It takes real nerve to do what Locke did. Just wait till Jean gets back!

message 3: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) I'm with you Rob, I'm not buying this "Capa Barsavi win". The whole thing about needing a Grey King imposter was too suspicious from the start. It's got to be a set-up, with the grey king whispering how to beat Locke. Maybe at that very time, the grey King is at the Barsavi stronghold, stealing Nacza's corpse, or doing something else.
Or maybe there not doing anything, but just letting Capa think he's winning will be enough to plant the move.
Looks like Locke finally meets someone who is equal in the games (but rich enough to have a bondsmage at his side).

I just love Chains' mentorship: his advice on the Half-Crown crew beating them: "Repeat as necessary until your problems are spitting up teeth"

and i loved this scene:
Chains: "I couldn’t march and I was like to die, so they left me behind…myself and many others. In the care of some itinerant priests of Perelandro.”
Locke: “But you didn’t die.”
“Clever lad,” said Chains, “to deduce that from such slender evidence after living with me for just three years.” :D

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Chains is an excellent mentor :-)

message 5: by Mpauli (last edited Sep 14, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments It's starting to get interesting. The bit where Locke told Jean about not knowing his father is the next hint towards the importance of said father.
The Duke's still in the running, as is the Gray King.

The death of Nacza was unexpected by me and was kind of sad, cause I really liked her friendship with Locke and I would have liked to see how Locke and her escaped their betrothal. But I like a nice shock effect, so that's that.

I like how Lynch feeds us the appropriate information on the character's backgrounds and skills, when they are needed. It adds color to the picture, although I'm eager to find out how the main story progresses at this point.

Regarding the Gray King's plan my bet would be at the moment that he wasn't able to get to Barsavi and now with Barsavi celebrating his victory he won't see the Gray King's strike coming.

Another interesting fact was, that "Locke" means something like shadow. I guess that information will somehow become important regarding his heritage.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Yeah the subplot with Nacza would have been nice to explore further.