Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Prices shown in basket

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HJ (last edited Aug 24, 2013 08:34AM) (new)

HJ This has bothered me for some time! Why, when you go the your basket and review the books in there, are the prices which are shown NOT the actual price for which the item is currently for sale (i.e. the reduced price when there is a sale on) but the original price?

This annoys me for two reasons: firstly, it makes it impossible to determine whether I should use a credit for a book or not (like everyone, I don't use up a credit when the price is less than my credits cost), and secondly I cannot tell how much I'm going to be spending and therefore whether or not I should cull the basket and transfer some items to my Wish list instead.

I used to be frightened that if I completed the purchase I would have to pay the full price, but when one goes to the next page the reduced price is shown (the original full price appears under the title on the left hand side). I think that this what the basket should look like when one goes to the basket. Instead, I find myself going backwards and forwards and trying to remember what the reduced prices are.

message 2: by Kristie (last edited Aug 24, 2013 08:54AM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I have noticed this, too, Hj, and it always makes me look twice.

Another price-related frustration (which I think I've posted before...): I also wish that my wish list would sort by member price, not original price. As a member, I don't know why I'd care how my wish list falls out by original price. (And if they have a sale on the member price, you also can't sort by that.) Since they've been offering more $5 and $10 coupons of late, a more accurate sort by price would be really helpful when selecting how to spend my coupons.

message 3: by HJ (new)

HJ Kristie - I know this has been posted about before, but in a similar vein I want to be able to sort every list by price, low to high - just like I can in Amazon. I find it very odd that this is not possible in Audible. It should definitely be an option on results of searches.

message 4: by HJ (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

HJ Shirley wrote: "I think the answer is:
All companies must remit tax collections to the states and this is the "bean counter" way of keeping track.

Federal would need a gross sales amount also."

No, I really don't think so! I have just re-created the basket stages so I can explain what I mean, properly. At the Checkout stage, there are three columns: Title/ Author (which also shows the original full price), Apply Credits, and You Pay. That is the page which I think should be shown first when you look at the basket, because you can see al the information you need (both the original price and the reduced price).

However, in fact the first page you see has Title/Author (which on this page does NOT include the original price), Apply credits, Price (which is the full price) and You Pay. The final column only shows the sale price if you unclick the credit in the Apply Credit column.

So, for example, I see Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce in the Children's Sale reduced from £11.80 to £6.84. But if I add it to my basket and then go to my basket, because I have an unused credit the Apply Credit box is ticked and the only price I can see on that page is £11.80. I should like to see £6.84 in the Price column, with £11.80 in the Title/Author column (like it is on the next page). The You Pay is empty unless I click off the Apply Credit - and then the £6.84 appears in it.

But when I'm looking at my basket, before I move to the checkout page, I want to have the information which I need to decide which items to use my credits for, and which to pay cash for. I can't make that decision unless I can see the real cost, and I shouldn't have to unclick the applied credits to do that.

The gross amount can be displayed somewhere if the bean counters need it - but I think I'm right in saying that if I look at my Amazon basket it only shows me the actual price I will be paying, and not the pre-reduction price.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments Profile is set to PRIVATE if I had known you were NOT from the United States I would NOT have even answered what IMO was. If you want the EXACT reason contact the company accounting department ... could be as simple as programming thought this was the best way.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments This is one area where the Audible mobile app is better. Shopping on the site is great, but buying on the app is easier. When you are on a book page, there are two buttons. One is to buy for a credit and the other is to buy at whaever your price is.

message 7: by HJ (new)

HJ Shirley wrote: "Profile is set to PRIVATE if I had known you were NOT from the United States I would NOT have even answered what IMO was. If you want the EXACT reason contact the company accounting department ......"

If tax accounting is the reason the same point could apply in the UK as in the US. The reason I posted here is that Audible do seem to notice what customers say on Goodreads. Whenever I've contacted them directly it never seems to go anywhere; although they're always very nice and helpful they don't seem to know this type of thing.

I suspect someone just didn't think this through. I'm just providing feedback which may be helpful to them!

I do find the differences between Audible and Amazon surprising sometimes - both in this respect, and in the inability to order search results by price.

message 8: by HJ (new)

HJ Sandi wrote: "This is one area where the Audible mobile app is better. Shopping on the site is great, but buying on the app is easier. When you are on a book page, there are two buttons. One is to buy for a cred..."

Thanks for this! I always download using the app and wi-fi, but haven't dared buy that way.

message 9: by ArtC (new)

ArtC | 5 comments I don't know where you are, but in the US, Apple removed audible's ability to purchase through the app a few years ago . Our "buy" tab just tells you to go to the website.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments ArtC wrote: "I don't know where you are, but in the US, Apple removed audible's ability to purchase through the app a few years ago . Our "buy" tab just tells you to go to the website."

I use the android app. I didn't realize it was different on the Apple app.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 159 comments Apple didn't want to make it easy to buy from Audible!
HJ: I agree, it can be a bit confusing to decide which way to pay when there are such differences in Prices, I wonder if they realize that we won't use credits for books under what we paid for them, so incent us to buy more outside of the credits by the pricing strategies. I have bought several more than intended when I refuse to use a credit for some that I want.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I got a survey invitation this week that asked questions about pricing and what prices would make me buy with cash vs. using a credit. So, it does look like Audible os looking at their pricing. It would explain why they have had so many different kinds of sales this year as opposed to previous years.

message 13: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Interesting. I know they do need to be careful about the pricing. I've been a platinum member the last few years, but if they start offering more good cash sales, I'd be tempted to downgrade my membership.

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Jeanine wrote: "For items that are less than the cost of my credit (I'm a platinum member also) I buy outright and save my credits for more expensive items."

As do I, Jeanie. But last year it seemed like there were more $4.95 and $6.95 sales and BOGO's, all of which had a better selection than this year's sales, IMHO. So I haven't been buying many books outright or using my credits as quickly.

Maybe later this year the sales will pick up. I think around the end of last year they had some pretty aggressive sales.