The Challenge Factory discussion

Once Upon A Twisted Time
This topic is about Once Upon A Twisted Time
2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Lauren & Jennifer C - Once Upon a Twisted Time

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Lauren & Jennifer C - Once Upon a Twisted Time

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren So when do you want to start this one?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'm still reading Shadow of Night and it's taking me longer than I expected. I should be able to start this one around the 25th. Would that be OK? If not I can start to read them both together. Let me know.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Oh, and I meant to ask. What do you have lined up for next month? Maybe we can do another buddy read in October.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeah, whenever you're done we can start! :) I was just worried you'd forgotten.
I'm gonna post another list of books I want to read. I'd love to read some more with you! You're a good buddy read partner :)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I think I'm going to start this tomorrow.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Ok, I will too then

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Sep 23, 2013 12:02AM) (new)

Lauren I just finished the first story. I wasn't sure about this book, but it seems good so far. I hope the second story is good too.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I finished the first story too. I feel like this would be better as a series. I like more details and story and I think it's just too short and feels rushed. It's good though.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I'm scared that's true too. They seem to advertise that author the most, so she may be the best.
It could probably be a series yeah, but it was also okay as a short story. Sometimes I like just little short tales with not too much detail. Nice break from novels and series.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Ugh, you were right. I did not like the second story At All! The female character was pretty weak. Their relationship was weird and super rushed in my mind. I mean, they knew each other for like two hours before getting "feelings" and then after like what, a couple days, she shares her new kingdom with him? What? No. But I liked her cat.
I hope the next ones good, the idea sounds promising. Beauty really being the beast.
I'm doing one short story a night.

message 12: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 24, 2013 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'll do one story a night too. About the second story... These are definitely rushed. I don't see how you would fall in love with the person who murdered your best friend after 3 days of being held prisoner by him. I understand that in the end, he did the right thing, but it was just too fast and I feel like the only thing the authors are worried about in both of these stories is getting to the sex.

The only other fairy tale retelling I've ever read is Cinder and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. They are both YA and don't have any sex in them, but if you haven't read them yet, you definitely have to check them out. It's an ongoing series. I don't think the third one is out yet.

Another thing that bothered me about the second story is the author's sentence structure. It was strange the whole way through the book, but here's an example I thought to highlight almost at the end...

Nyx grinned as she saw it; glad this time that the Footmen on the other side of the door were not after her this time.

It's really strange that she repeats herself. And then she would say things like...

The room she was now stood in...

Was stood in??? I actually looked her up to see where she was from and she's from the UK, so maybe it's a British thing. I just think it sounds funny.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeah, it was a little odd.
I've heard of the Cinder series, the third one isn't out yet. I've thought about reason it but I haven't been sure...
I've heard of this new series called Splitered that's based on Alice in Wonderland (but you know, different and darker) and I've heard it's really good so I really wanna read it.
I've also read Red Riding Hood, which you may like. It's REALLY good!

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Which Red Riding Hood is it? Who wrote it? I read the one that went with the movie. This one... Red Riding Hood.

I have the Splintered series on my TBR pile.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeah it's that one. I really like it. The movie was pretty good too (at least I thought it was)
Did you like it?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I did like it, but I prefer to read the book before I see the movie and this one was a book based on the movie and not the other way around. That doesn't happen very often.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Really? I didn't know it was a book based on the movie, that's weird... I didn't think they ever did that...

message 18: by Lauren (last edited Sep 24, 2013 10:21PM) (new)

Lauren Third story done. Even though they literally fell in love in two days (but I guess that's what we get in such short stories) I liked this one much better than the second one. For me it's a close second to the first one. The writing was good and I actually liked the characters this time. And I also liked how her name was Isabella (Belle) and they called her the beast. :)
What'd you think about this one?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Lauren wrote: "Really? I didn't know it was a book based on the movie, that's weird... I didn't think they ever did that..."

Yeah, if you look at the description on GR, the last line says that it's based on the screenplay. There was a sticker on the book I bought. That's the only reason I knew that.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I liked this one better than the second one too. I think this one actually worked the best as a short story. I think it would have been harder to make this one a full length novel because it basically had to be love at first sight seeing that she is only human for one night a month. I did think that it was weird that when the spell was broken her eyes changed. They focused on them the whole time and then made a point to say that they weren't quite as green but I don't know why they changed. Strange.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Finally done with this book! The fourth story was my third favorite. My favorite parts were the parts from the robot's pov. I also liked the idea of the future world, and the female character was actually okay (although a bit slutish in attitude...) But the guy I hated. He annoyed me just too much.
But good thought in the post war world with the brainwashing.
I was about halfway through this story and I just couldn't figure out which fairy tale it was based on, and then I was like, OH! SLIPPER! It's Cinderella! And then the Sisters! And it all made sense. Haha
So what'd you think?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Wait a second... my fourth story was The Little Mermaid. I think we had a different order. My version was...
1. Snow White
2. Cinderella
3. Beauty & the Beast
4. The Little Mermaid

What order did you have?

Anyway... my comments in message 12 above are from the Cinderella story. I'm sure you were wondering what the hell I was talking about at the time. LOL

I wasn't very impressed with The Little Mermaid story at all. It was just very much the same. It's almost like they follow the same formula and just plug in bits and pieces from the actual fairy tale. There was a strange part about flowers growing from someone's tears that reminded me of the story in Origin. It didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the story though. I'm not even sure why it was mentioned.

Overall for September... 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I really liked the other two books we read. They can't all be winners. :)

message 23: by Lauren (last edited Sep 26, 2013 08:10AM) (new)

Lauren Yeah, the other two were really good, but this one failed for me...
My book's order was Lindsey Avalon, the little mermaid with the princess and the twins. Second was Tara S Wood, the one with the hunter and the girl and her machine for like power or something... (that I really didn't like.) Third was Trish M Dawson, the shapeshifter girl with green eyes and the guy hunting her. Fourth was Miranda Story, story set in post war future where the governor is brainwashing people.
So mine was The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments That's so funny that we were on completely different stories. That just goes to prove my point that they were all basically the same story with bits and pieces of fairy tales thrown in. LOL

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren HAHA! That's so weird! So what order did you like them in?
Mine is
Beauty and the Beast
The Litte Mermaid
Cinderella
Snow White
Although none of them I'd recommend to people.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I think probably...

Beauty & the Beast
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
Snow White

I probably wouldn't recommend it either.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren So next month we're reading The Raven Boys... Have you read Shiver, also by her? I read all three a while ago. She's making another Shover from the pov of Cole.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I haven't. This will be my first. Was it good? I think this one is a trilogy too, right?

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeah I think it is. I know there's two out already.
Yeah, Shiver's good. But you can't be annoyed at fluffy romance, because it sorta has a lot of it. But it's still good.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I'll have to check it out.