The Challenge Factory discussion

Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
This topic is about Fatal Shadows
2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Jennifer C, Melissa, Ezi - Fatal Shadows

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Jennifer C, Melissa, Ezi - Fatal Shadows

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Ok guys... I started this one. It starts off a little slow. Did you ever read a book where things are happening but everything just seems a little drawn out? That's the best way I can describe this one. It's not bad though. I just finished chapter 6 and it's just starting to pick up. A couple of the characters have some secrets that should turn out to be interesting.

message 3: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Sep 04, 2013 08:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16189 comments Mod
Jennifer C. wrote: "Ok guys... I started this one. It starts off a little slow. Did you ever read a book where things are happening but everything just seems a little drawn out? That's the best way I can describe t..."

I have the audio so I hope it's not too slow for me. But haven't started yet

message 4: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ok. Starting this audio at lunch

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments I only read a few pages this morning. I may bring this to the beach with me tomorrow and see how far I get...

message 6: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "I only read a few pages this morning. I may bring this to the beach with me tomorrow and see how far I get..."

enjoy the beach. This book isn't going anywhere. I only listened to 45 mins while on the bike. I will take it to the gym again tomorrow:)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Oh my god... I'm on the last chapter. Nothing about this book really grabbed me so I'm just not feeling it. I don't know why. Now I just started the last chapter of the book... thank god... and I'm so annoyed. I can suspend reality with the best of 'em but COME ON!!!! You have got to be kidding me! I can't wait until you guys finish this. I'm going to go finish now. Ugh... completely ridiculous. No one would EVER DO THIS... EVER!!!

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer C. wrote: "Oh my god... I'm on the last chapter. Nothing about this book really grabbed me so I'm just not feeling it. I don't know why. Now I just started the last chapter of the book... thank god... and ..."

I'm half way and I don't see what the fuss is either. I'm hoping it gets better but...

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments I made it to chapter 6 yesterday. It's kind of boring. Is the cop the love interest for Adrien. I'm getting the feeling it's going to be like Jory and Sam...... maybe?!?
Chess pieces involved, weird poems from French restaurant owner, black flowers delivered, possibly delusional ex wife all in the mix? I have to start another buddy read today. Will switch between this one and other book on my flight home.

message 10: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

I think I have figured out what the issue is.
This is a mystery book with a beginning of a love interest...kind of like Book 1 of In Death series by JD Robb.

It's not a romance with a side of mystery like I thought. Even so, it's kind of boring anyway.

I will take a peak at the reviews of book 2 to see if the romance begins to play a more prominent role

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I still can't excuse the last chapter. It was ridiculously stupid. And is it just me or is the cop the only likeable character? I did look ahead and see that Adrien dates him but I think they break up after one book. I might consider giving book 2 a shot, but Adrien is the worst.

message 12: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adrien is boring. And seriously, being a writer doesn't make one a detective. That is a tad far fetched!

Bruce was sooo fake from the beginning.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Did you finish?

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

The sex thing (view spoiler)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Ok finished it this morning. I wish I could remember who recommended this series to me?!? What a strange drawn out book. I may at some point read the second book but I'm in no hurry. Sorry for the rec to you guys to read it!
Yeah, the whole sex thing at the end ~ I would think there would be a way to talk yourself out of his house to go home....especially since you should think Riordan is still outside watching the house. Also, you're too afraid to say something about a condom?!? Really??? Bruce was just odd from the moment Adrien found out he didn't "really" work for Boytimes.

message 16: by Jennifer C. (last edited Sep 08, 2013 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Yeah and he kept seeing him after he found out he didn't work there and never even thought to look into it further. He just believed Bruce. Dumb.

Don't worry about recommending it though, Melissa. They can't all be winners and we've had a lot of really great books this year. There have to be a few duds in there too. :-)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments I also found it odd that he didn't notice or no comment on how pushy Bruce was for their relationship. I realize his last one was done a while ago but jeez they gone out like once and he's upset you don't call him back within a certain amount of time?

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments And clingy... jeez. When do you guys plan on starting Prey? This week?

I'm reading Origin now. It's really good. If you liked Hunger Games, this is just as good. It reminds me a little of Uglies too, but I like this better.

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Jennifer C. wrote: "And clingy... jeez. When do you guys plan on starting Prey? This week?

I'm reading Origin now. It's really good. If you liked Hunger Games, this is just as good. It reminds me a little of U..."

Was thinking of waiting til Fri. I have three books I need to finish this week. Almost done with one. Wanted to see if it would work for WotW or Scattegories but even if it doesn't I can start Fri or Sat.

What about you Ezi??

message 20: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Friday works. Geez I hope it's good because I've been getting clunkers

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments I just finished my buddy read of Origin. If you like dystopian stories this one was amazing!!! I loved it.

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments I recently finished The Dark Highlander - took me a while due to many other books I had to finish but was a 4.5 - 5.0 read for me.

message 23: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "I recently finished The Dark Highlander - took me a while due to many other books I had to finish but was a 4.5 - 5.0 read for me."

It's on tap for me this weekend.

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Hope you like it!!

message 25: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "Hope you like it!!"

I love "listening to it".
I love hearing him say "Tooping a lass" LMAO

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "Hope you like it!!"

I love hearing him say "Tooping a lass" LMAO"

Who is the narrator. I may have to try listening to one. Good accent?? I love any British Isles accents ~ dreamy!

message 27: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "Hope you like it!!"

Who is the narrator. I may have to try listening to..."

Phil Gigante...listen to a sample on audible. Great accent...but don't look at his picture because he only reinforces my belief that sexy voices can only come from unsexy men (LMAO)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "Hope you like it!!"

Who is the narrator. I may have t..."

duly noted.... will keep my eyes closed while I listen to him speak,LOL

message 29: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ok. I figured out why I didn't enjoy this book.

This book is not about romance or finding love or connecting with your partner.

this book is not even a real mystery/suspense thriller, though it masquerades as one.

It's just The Adventures of Adrien English---and his life is boring.

I think I connected with Cut & Run because the connection with Ty and Zane is as essential to the plot as the police investigations. In fact, the crime they are fighting enhances their partnership, both professional and personal.

This book had no such partnership, or a real hope of one. In fact, this book lacked drama and passion. that is why it fell flat for me. I was waiting for something to happen, and it never really happened to my liking.

Even Sam & Jory with all their drama had more chemistry than Adrien and all his men friends. I sure hope Prey is much better

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments This book had no such partnership, or a real hope of one. In fact, this book lacked drama and passion. that is why it fell flat for me. I was waiting for something to happen, and it never really happened to my liking.

Exactly!! Def can not compare this to Ty and Zane - no comparison at all,lol

message 31: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adrien needs a partner--even if it is a female friend. He needs someone to play off because his lone ranger act is monotonous.

I get tired of heros sleeping with the enemy. It makes them look stupid

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Yeah, I totally didn't get the sleeping with him part at all.

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments It would be different if he had slept with him and known that he was the killer. But he slept with him immediately after discussing him being a murderer. And as though that wasn't bad enough, he didn't even use a condom. I could almost feel bad for someone who is stupid and isn't seeing the signs. This made absolutely no sense. And you're right Ezi. He is the most boring main character and he was alone with his boring self most of the book.