YA books rule discussion

Books > What are You reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) Gone by Michael Grant

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) Really good! I think it's part of a six book series

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments I just finished Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I really enjoyed it but I don't think I will read more in the series as I've heard the sequels go downhill.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) I've read that book! I never read the rest of the series though.

message 5: by Mia (new)

Mia (VioletLuifie) | 4 comments Steph wrote: "Gone by Michael Grant" How do you like it so far?

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) I liked it, but I probably won't finish the series!

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments I'm reading Vegetarian Planet *my first cookbook!!*

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) I am now reading Michael Vey and New Moon

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments Kat wrote: "do u like it"

I do. It has a wonderfully diverse mix of recipes from around the world. The only weakness is it doesn't have any pictures so it sort of assumes the reader has knowledge of certain cooking skills. So, I struggle a bit with I chopped them really fine does that count for mincing? Definitely though it is giving me ideas on how to expand my cooking repertoire and try new spices.

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments Hee hee. I'm about to start reading Heartshaped Box next.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments Divergent

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments Kat wrote: "i never got a chance to read it !!"

Really good. I'll review it soon, but I'd give it 4 stars. The premise is very strong and there is some complexity amongst the characters which is refreshing. The only reason I don't give it 5 is the main character is kind of super dumb at times and then figures everything out in a nanosecond (to keep the plot moving).

Also, (and pseudo SPOILER) the author writes herself into a corner where to build up suspense the bad guys totally win... I mean all they have to do is pull the trigger and they win... but wait they need to do more tests and leave the good guys alive a little bit longer and hey while we're at it lets just leave our super important secret base that controls everything unguarded for a little longer... oh shoot the good guys need a little more help let's see what we can do...

That said its still a really fun book and I think you will like it a lot.

message 13: by Vivi (new)

Vivi Crespo | 1 comments I am reading Divergent.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments I've started Legend and Game of Thrones.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lingenfelter (StephanieLingenfelter) Is Game of Thrones good?

message 16: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 58 comments Steph wrote: "Is Game of Thrones good?"

Its starting out alright. I'm not too far in so I'm still learning all the characters and storylines. My one complaint is feels misogynistic as it starts out. Granted, its trying to create the aura of middle century knights and kings and such. But there are a lot of mystical elements like dragons and super wolves so I don't see why he doesn't make the women stronger.
Now, I've been told by a friend that the tone changes (I'm only 8 chapters in) and becomes better balanced so I'll definitely write more once I get further along.

message 17: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I have read a lot this week. I had to put down blood promise in order to read The Softwire:Awakening on Orbis 4. It was alright. I also got to read Red by Alison Cherry. It was very good. R

message 18: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I am now reading all the truth that's in me by julie berry and i am also reading pushing the limits. Both are very good

message 19: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I have finished pushing the limits and it was very good. Now i am reading perfect chemistry and spirit bound.

message 20: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I have finished spirit bound and now i am reading last sacrifice and uninvited.

message 21: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I have finally finished last sacrifice and i loved it. I am glad to have finished the series. It took me about 2 months to read the whole series. For now until i go to the library later today i am reading inhuman and it is pretty good so far. I saw divergent yesterday and i want to reread the book. I wanted to get it from the library but it is checked out so i will have to wait until monday to get it from school. I am also reading frankenstein for english and i really dont like it that much.

message 22: by Clara (new)

Clara Mouawad | 2 comments paper towns and the serpents shadow