Orthodoxy discussion

Sunday School resources on the Parables

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) We are covering the parables this year. My age group is grades 3 through 5. Anyone have any suggestions for resources? All I'm finding are Protestant resources... Some are good, such as games and worksheets but I need to learn more about them in general.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White (goodreadscomelizabethwhite) | 25 comments Zaina wrote: "We are covering the parables this year. My age group is grades 3 through 5. Anyone have any suggestions for resources? All I'm finding are Protestant resources... Some are good, such as games and w..."

The Greek Orthodox Dept. of Religious Ed has a supplemental textbook and a teacher's guide on the parables (suggested for fifth grade). I wouldn't call it great, but it would give you the Orthodox perspective. They can be ordered online at www.religioused.goarch.org. It's on page 20 in the catalog (I assume the same online). You can also print out an order form and mail in the order. You could use this and supplement with games, etc. that you find from Protestant sources.

message 3: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments That is the resource I was going to suggest too - I taught out of it one year.

message 4: by Zaina (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Thanks! Will look for it.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg Zancewicz | 8 comments There is a great book called The Parables: Biblical, Patristic and Liturgical Interpretation by the recently reposed Archbishop Dmitri Royster. It is a very simple straightforward book - Vladyka was a very good teacher who explained things very clearly.

Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Parables-Pa...

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 48 comments Greg wrote: "There is a great book called The Parables: Biblical, Patristic and Liturgical Interpretation by the recently reposed Archbishop Dmitri Royster. It is a very simple straightforward book - Vladyka w..."

That looks wonderful, Greg. Thank you!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg Zancewicz | 8 comments I wasn't reading very carefully, though. Probably a little much for ages 3-5 :) But still a good book for background, maybe.

Vladyka was our retired bishop until he reposed a few years ago. He had a fascinating life. As a young Baptist teen in Dallas he got curious about the Orthodox Church and wandered into the Dallas Greek Orthodox Church with his teen sister. People looked at them like they were from another planet, but eventually they were received.

During WWII he was a Japanese translator on MacArthur's staff. His office was just down the street from the Orthodox Cathedral of St. Nicholas in Japan, which was more or less unscathed by the war.

He was a wonderful person. We miss him, but we are sure he is still doing his best to help us all.

message 8: by Zaina (last edited Sep 13, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

Zaina (ajakie) Greg wrote: "I wasn't reading very carefully, though. Probably a little much for ages 3-5 :) But still a good book for background, maybe.

Vladyka was our retired bishop until he reposed a few years ago. He ..."

It's a great book. Thank you. I'm currently reading it as I borrowed it from our church library. Really, I just need something for my own study, then I can simplify. The GOARCH book seems good but it will take a while to get here, partly because of the bureaucracy surrounding placing an order through our church bookstore.. sigh.