I Read Therefore I Am discussion

General > What I'm watching

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Thought it might be good to have a thread where we alert each other to good stuff on the box and have a bit of a chat about it

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee The Last episode of the Secret History of Archaeology is on Tuesday on BBC4 ( the penultimate episode is on I player for 3 more days) - it's fascinating.

There's a new series on Ancient Greece starting on Thursday on BBC4

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Excellent idea for a thread, thanks! I'm so out of touch with what's on at the moment!

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Anyone been watching Top of the Lake? I've been catching up with it on iplayer - very weird, and quite shocking, but addictive.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Caught a rerun of Kojak yesterday - such a good show - where else would you get a detective saying za pa dap pa do! to his boss and Boogaloo Baby! to his prime suspect?
Does any one else share my guilty liking for Strictly Come Dancing?

message 6: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Also my guilty secret. I only really followed it from when Anne Widdecombe was in (cant remember if that was 2011 or last year. Missed most of it tonight but will definitely try to watch when it starts

message 7: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Is anybody watching Whitechapel? Seriously spooky!

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Any Inpector Montalbano fans out there? I can report that "Young Montalbano" (BBC4)is very good and has the same feel as the original (young Salvo is rather nice too)

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
Hilary wrote: "Is anybody watching Whitechapel? Seriously spooky!"

I loved Whitechapel last night, the next episode looks quite gruesome!

message 10: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments @Lee I watched the first lot of Montalbanos and really enjoyed them but haven't seen the young Montalbano programmes

@Laurel it's good isn't it!!! Next week looks very gruesome. I love the mystery of the main character. We know he's got some sort of compulsive/obsessive disorder but what's with the water? I think his father killed himself by cutting his wrists and lying in the bath! Probably totally wrong but I think it fits all the things we've seen.

message 11: by Laurel (last edited Sep 12, 2013 03:09AM) (new)

Yeah, I'm sure there will be some revelation that links it all in. And I hope Miles gets some of his fire back, he is losing his touch bless him! Looking forward to see if (view spoiler).

I don't know Montalbano - is it an adaptation from a book or just a TV series??

message 12: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments It's an adaptation I think but I've never read the books

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Yes it's an adaptation (not read any of the books but got one on my Kindle) - it's a really quirky Detective series set in Sicily and both Montalbanos (old and new) are rather scrummy.

I really must make an effort to watch Whitechapel - I just keep missing it.

message 14: by Laurel (new)

I caught a bit of Young Montalbano yesterday by chance - I had no idea what was going on as haven't watched it before but it had the world's most sarcastic coroner ('This is a dead body!') and some crazy dude who nearly had apoplexy because he dropped some biscuits ('What a tragedy!') - quite funny.
Oh and I also learned how to say "obnoxious git" in Italian hee hee!

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Did anyone see the Marianne Faithful Who Do You Think You Are about her mother and grandparents ' experiences in wartime Vienna? I think it was the best episode yet - fascinating and so so sad- it made me cry.

message 16: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments This series has been very interesting. I thought last week with Sarah Millican was excellent but I haven't seen this weeks yet. It clashes with something else I watch so I record it to watch later. I wasn't going to bother because I'm not keen on Marianne Faithful but I'll make sure I watch it now

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Don't be put off by the terrible singing at the beginning :o)

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee Has any one been watching A Very British Murder - all about how we all became obsessed with murder both real and fictional - it's fascinating - the 2nd episode is on tonight at 9.00

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee Don't you just love Dave Hairy Biker? He's just so enthusiastic - just like a small child - hope he stays on Strictly Come Dancing for a while. :0)

message 20: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Just finished watching the last episode of Whitechapel. I've really enjoyed is series. The mix of unorthodox police characters is so unusual that you wonder just what is going to come next. This tied up a lot do the loose ends but still left quite a number hanging so I'll be extremely disappointed if a third series isn't commissioned. I want to know

Exactly how Chandlers father died
If miles has the religious faith he seems to have or is it a fear reaction
And most importantly
Who or what is the old woman.

Spooky!!!

message 21: by Laurel (new)

I've just finished work so haven't seen it yet - so excited!!! it's one of the only things on telly I actually enjoy :)

message 22: by Laurel (new)

Well that was cool (Whitechapel) - I'm really hoping there is another series soon. That old woman is seriously creepy!

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee I must watch this series - ITVPlayer here I come.

message 24: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I'm going to be soooooooo cross if there isn't another series. Like you Laurel it's one of the few things I watch. Mind the British Bake Off which is the other thing I'm watching couldn't be more different!!

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Yeah me too! It's either grisly, creepy stuff or cooking programmes and that's about it - they have left it open for another series with that creepy Louise whatshername the evil old lady so fingers crossed ;)
Who do you think will win the bake off?

message 26: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments As usual I'm never sure of anyone's names! I think the young student, Ruby?, is really good. Her mistakes seem to be down to lack of experience but they always seem impressed by the taste of her food. I love the way she gets so anxious and is so modest. The one I was disappointed to see go though not surprised was the "style over substance" contestant. I was always amazed by what she turned out but they certainly gave her plenty of warnings to concentrate on the taste which she didn't seem to be able to take on board. Watching it always puts me in the mood to bake!!

message 27: by Laurel (new)

Yeah I love getting ideas from it! I think either Ruby or Kimberley will win it this year.

message 28: by Laurel (new)

Lee wrote: "I must watch this series - ITVPlayer here I come."

@ Lee - just a heads up, this is actually the fourth series of Whitechapel so far although it's fairly self-contained so you should be able to watch it without missing too much. But the older episodes are also very good - the first series about the copycat Jack the Ripper was awesome!

message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee Thanks Laurel - I did actually look up the current series on ITV player but was put off when the announcer told me that it contained images of violence and torture throughout! I'm ok with the aftermath of (fictional) violence, but can't watch people in pain- is there a lot of that?

message 30: by Laurel (new)

There a few horrible bits but mostly just the bodies/autopsy scenes that you get in all crime drama's. The subject matter is pretty grisly but a lot of it is tension and atmosphere cleverly done so that you know this stuff is happening but you don't explicitly see it a lot of the time - does that make sense?

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee It does and it sounds like I'll be able to enjoy it- thanks Laurel :0)

message 32: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Well that's the bake Off finished for another year - I can stop beating myself up about buying cakes rather than making them. I though Frances was a worthy winner on the day but that it was very, very close.

message 33: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) Would've preferred Kimberly to win, pleased it wasn't Ruby.

message 34: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments She was certainly much more consistent throughout the competition. Yes , I really thought ruby was going to get it at one point! I think they all had a real soft spot for her, but she wasn't in the same league as the others. I actually thought she should have gone last week instead of Beca.

message 35: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) I must admit, there was something about Ruby I didn't like; I started to feel like all the 'oh that's going to be rubbish' was a bit fake. Maybe I'm being harsh, but she did start to annoy me.

message 36: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I do know what you mean.

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee Has anyone been watching The Wrong Mans? Best thing I've seen on tv for a while it's really funny, exciting, and I never know whats going to happen next!

message 38: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) I must admit, I decided against watching it after seeing 5 mins or so and thinking it just looked a bit too weird for me. Possibly just saw something out of context and misjudged it, but I haven't watched anymore.

message 39: by Laurel (new)

I'm enjoying The Wrong Mans - I have it recorded and then watch when I feel like it though cos I quite often can't sit and watch telly, so I think I'm a couple of episodes behind!

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee Last episode next week- I shall miss it.

message 41: by Lee (new)

Lee Yay! Ripper Street's back next week!

message 42: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Just watched Ripper Street. What a cracking start. I love the way they have made some attempt to speak as they would at the time. Looking forward to how it progresses

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee Only seen the 1st couple of minutes so far - very exciting (and icky) but I was slightly distracted by the discovery that the unfortunate gentleman with the impaled leg was Trigger from Only Fools and Horses!

message 44: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I knew I recognised him from somewhere!!!!!

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee It's always weird when you see sitcom actors popping up in a different genre - I always love seeing John Le Mesurier in Ben Hur and what's Leonard Rossiter doing in 2001 A Space Odyssey?

message 46: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I've never spotted them!

message 47: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 304 comments Anyone watching the new David Tennant thriller on at the moment?

message 48: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Couldn't face anything as dramatic as the intro in the paper led me to believe it would be to might. Saw the last few minutes while waiting for the news and it looked very much as though this killer is going to have several more victims.

message 49: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 304 comments It was a bit scary in parts but absolutely riveting so far. Can't wait until next week.

message 50: by Lee (new)

Lee @ Hilary - here's Leonard Rossiter in 2001 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHMvd...
Sadly I can't find the clip of John Le Mes in Ben Hur but he played a Doctor who tried to help Ben Hur's nemesis after the chariot race. He was told that his services were not required and said something very similar to " Do You think that's wise?" Here's a still of him from the film. - he's in the 3rd row down. http://movie-dude.co.uk/[Film]%20Ben-...

« previous 1 3