A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Introducing myself

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Howes I couldn't find an introductions thread for new members, so I thought I would start my own. I'm relatively new to ASOIAF but also relatively obsessed. Unusually for me, I got hooked on the TV series before I read the books, so I have seen all three seasons but only read the first two books - I will be starting on the third in a matter of days from now.

To make this introduction more fun, the rest will be in question and answer format ...

Name: Sally
How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? It was recommended by friends.
How many of the books have you read? 2
How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? 3
Which character is your favourite? Daenerys, closely followed by Arya and Tyrion.
Which character is your least favourite? Catelyn - for some reason, she irritates me.
Which character do you most resemble and why? Arya, because when I'm learning something I'm passionate about, I put my all into it; because I'm fiercely loyal, determined and stubborn at times; because I hate injustice; because when pressed, I can be implacable and ruthless; because I'm a survivor; and because I'm a bit of a tomboy - I rarely wear dresses or makeup.
Which character would you like to go on a date with? Oddly enough, Tyrion, because looks mean nothing to me but I admire a man with a high level of intelligence, a quick wit, and a gentle heart (even if he tries to hide it).
Which character do you find most intriguing? Marjery Tyrrell - having just started to see under the surface of this character in season 3 of the TV series, she seems to have hidden depths and the potential to rival Cersei as the most subtly intelligent and evil of women.
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Daenerys, because her family has the oldest claim to it and she would make a strong but just ruler. And because she's the Mother of Dragons, for crying out loud!

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward Lazellari Dear Sally, Welcome to the discussion. Thanks for the bio. You're going to love book 3. I personally would love to see Jon Snow and Daenerys take the throne together.

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Contreras | 2 comments Oh yes, I'm excited for you to start book 3, so good. Maybe even my favorite so far. I'm half way done with book 5! Welcome to the group.

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally Howes Edward wrote: "Dear Sally, Welcome to the discussion. Thanks for the bio. You're going to love book 3. I personally would love to see Jon Snow and Daenerys take the throne together."

Wow, I never would have thought of that, but you're right - they would make the perfect couple and the perfect rulers of Westeros!

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hanes (jerjoe76) | 2 comments Hello my name is Jeremy and I am a fan I have bought the first two seasons on DVD but am waiting to read the series before watching them. I am a little past half of the third book. The first two flew by. This one the third is dragging in the middle some. I am sticking with it though. Love the characters Cersi is so evil and manipulative, love her. Can't wait to start looking through the goodreads page. Interested to see where it goes. I have no ideas at this time.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson Jeremy wrote: "Hello my name is Jeremy and I am a fan I have bought the first two seasons on DVD but am waiting to read the series before watching them. I am a little past half of the third book. The first two fl..."

Welcome, Jeremy. I'm fairly new to the group, too, and so far it's one of favorite GR groups.

message 7: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hanes (jerjoe76) | 2 comments Hello my name is Jeremy and I am a fan I have bought the first two seasons on DVD but am waiting to read the series before watching them. I am a little past half of the third book. The first two flew by. This one the third is dragging in the middle some. I am sticking with it though. Love the characters Cersi is so evil and manipulative, love her. Can't wait to start looking through the goodreads page. Interested to see where it goes. I have no ideas at this time.

message 8: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 15 comments Didn't know where to post this question and I thought this might be a good place. I'm re-reading the books and I have a question about Bran's assassin. Jaime in book 2 admits to throwing him but not to hiring the assassin. He also claims Cersei wouldn't do it without him. Who would? Thanks!

message 9: by Mitali (new)

Mitali | 117 comments Jolene wrote: "Didn't know where to post this question and I thought this might be a good place. I'm re-reading the books and I have a question about Bran's assassin. Jaime in book 2 admits to throwing him but no..."

I think it's stated in Book 3 that the assassin was hired by (view spoiler)

message 10: by Amber (last edited Oct 01, 2013 01:47PM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yep, that seems to be the answer.
Everyone else would have done a better job.
LOL!!

My original suspicions were always on (view spoiler) even though I like his character, this just always struck me as something he would do.

message 11: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 15 comments Thanks Mitali! These books are almost more enjoyable the second time around. I'm sure some more of my questions will be answered as I move on to Book 3.

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike Parnell Thank you Sally for the use of this questionairre! :-)

Name: Mike
How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? Saw the books
How many of the books have you read? All 5, waiting on the 6th!
Which character is your favourite? Tyrion and Jaime Lannister
Which character is your least favourite? Daenerys - since she lost Khal Drogo, has she ever made a good decision?
Which character do you most resemble and why? Barristan Selmy - in between the lines of right and wrong are always defining shades of grey
Which character would you like to go on a date with? Margaery Tyrell, oh yes please! Whoops, was that too enthusiastic? :-)
Which character do you find most intriguing? Ser Jorah Mormont
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Not Daenerys, she's too busy freeing cities on the other side of the sea. Not Stannis, he never smiles, even when Melisandre appears naked before him. If the storylines expand 10 years, I'd say Gendry and Arya as a couple (Baratheon and Stark).

message 13: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 15 comments Name: Jolene
How were you introduced to ASOIAF? Heard about the show then heard about the books so I made sure to read the books before the show aired.
How many books have you read? All five and re-reading them again.
Which character is your favorite? Daenerys, her evolution is stunning.
Which character is your least favorite: Sansa Stark the most helpless character in the entire story and she is as dumb as Cersei claims.
Which character do you find most intriguing? Varys what is his real agenda.
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne? Daenerys but the line would die with her so I'm conflicted. The only hope is a possible union with Jon Snow can undo the curse and the dragon and wolf rule.

message 14: by Heaven (new)

Heaven | 8 comments Name: Heaven Singh
How were you introduced to ASOIAF? Heard and read praises about the show all over FB, so I checked it out...I have always been a reader, so found out about the books and read them all
How many books have you read? all five finished, earnestly waiting for TWOW
Which character is your favorite? Jon Snow and Arya
Which character is your least favorite: Right now it would be Dany...her story in ADWD was a real snooze-fest, Lady Stoneheart is a close second.
Which character do you find most intriguing? Varys...the man's spinning his web on all continents
Which character would you like to go on a date with? Sansa Stark...or more precisely, Sophie Turner :-)
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne? Dany and Jon were my best two choices, but Dany has shown her ineptness in ruling Meereen, and Jon's not likely to go after thrones.... so I am conflicted about the choices right now...Littlefinger could be a major player in deciding the ruler of westeros at the end

message 15: by Amber (last edited Oct 03, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Oh oh I wanna do one!! Me next!

Name: Amber Spindler
How were you introduced to ASOIAF? Saw the first season of Game of Thrones, thought it was awesome, devoured the books. I mean...read them....erm....
How many books have you read? All of them. 1-4 more than once. And on both Audio and Physical Copy.
Which character is your favorite? Too many favorites! I love Davos, Arya, Asha, and Jaime best though....that's as much as I could narrow it okay!
Which character is your least favorite: Reek. He disgusts me and his rhyming as forever disrupted my life. Seriously. Kill his ass please. It's for the best. Joff would agree. LOL
Which character do you find most intriguing? Littlefinger. The more I discuss him the deeper the layers become. It's wicked. He's seriously walking the fine line between Genius and Insane.
Which character would you like to go on a date with? Arthur Dayne by description. Good looking and full of honor. In book characters, probably Samwell. He has a good heart and mind plus he respects woman. (I actually don't have a thing for unavailable men usually....but apparently every decent man in ASOIAF has to swear to celibacy *sigh*)
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne? Martells would be cool and have the possibility. I think Dorne should rule Westeros they're the only stable nation that hasn't had to bend the knee. Outside of being realistic, I think Asha would make the best queen period. She's been groomed to be a ruler since she was young by her father and her speech at the queensmoot was better than any Dany ever gave end of story. That being said, I completely support Stannis' bid since it's the only lawfully legitimate one in the story.

message 16: by Nermin (last edited Oct 03, 2013 02:35PM) (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments I'm not new to GR or ASOIAF threads but I'm going to do this

Name: Nermin
How were you introduced to ASOIAF?
A friend recommended the show to me and I was hooked right from the first episode. Watched the first two seasons and then read all five books in a few weeks. I've only read the first book more than once but I'm planning on re-reading the whole series soon.

Which character is your favorite?
Some of my favorite characters have been long dead before the main events of Game of Thrones:D Rheagar Taryargen is my favorite character. He is so mysterious and I'm dying to find out more about him. Besides him, I like Jon Snow, Tyrion, Dany, sir Davos, Stannis, Jaime Lannister, Oberyn Martell, sir Barristan, sir Loras, Brienne, etc.

Which character is your least favorite: Tywin Lannister. I will never forgive him for his treatment of Tyrion and for killing Rhaegar's babies. Boltons, Freys and the Mountains are just scumbags.

Which character do you find most intriguing?
Varys and Howland Reed. I want to know more about Varys' past and his intentions. Howland Reed? Because he is the last person alive who may know something about what happened in the Tower of Joy.

Which character would you like to go on a date with?
Rhaegar Targaryen.

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne?

I don't care who takes it as long as they are from house Targaryen. I actually believe "dragon has three heads" prophecy so I think it would be cool if Daenerys, Jon Snow(assuming he is the son of R&L) and (view spoiler) ruled the Seven Kingdoms.

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Boltons, Freys and the Mountains are just scumbags.

LOL! Totally.

And now I'm jealous of your favorite character list...chopping mine down like I did was a killer. Had to think about it for a few minutes.

message 18: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments Well, you have sir Davos in your list. I like it, I think he is not much appreciated by fans or something, But I think he is a faschinating character and I love the show Davos even more.

But I must say I'm glad that I'm the only person whose favorite character is Rhaegar. I don't have much competition there, he's all mine:D

message 19: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) | 81 comments Not new, but cool questionnaire:

Name: Gordon

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? The 1st book was recommended a few years ago & obv. easily caught up with GRRM's slow ass :) I still remember waiting on AFFC, 'liver...wurst'

How many of the books have you read? All 5 plus audio, in the process getting & reading the Hedgenight/Egg series

Which character is your favourite? Too many: Arya, Jamie Lannister, Tyrion, Bronn, & Barriston

Which character is your least favourite? Reek, but he's a lil more interesting now, I'm talking about when the whole time he's sayin 'Reek it rhymes with meek, leek, geek etc..' Cat was getting on my nerves, lady S is much cooler..

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Margaery Tyrell, Ygrette (TV show), Dany, Sansa (much older, I'm not a pedo, so Arya is out), Mel (TV show), Cersei, all 8 sandsnakes, Didn't Margy have cousins?? did I cover all the cuties? HA,
JK.. Margaery (my views of Ygrette & Mel were diff when I read the book)

Which character do you find most intriguing? Jon Snow

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? I guess Jon & Dany... I just want some scorched earth before the ending & some battles for the bards to sing about!

message 20: by Amber (last edited Oct 03, 2013 04:31PM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Nermin wrote: "Well, you have sir Davos in your list. I like it, I think he is not much appreciated by fans or something, But I think he is a faschinating character and I love the show Davos even more.

But I mu..."

I agree I don't see him get much mention either, but he is a really awesome character and has some great adventures. Plus I just like that he is always thinking about his family and even though his wife isn't the prettiest he loves her so much and wants to get home to her and just give them all a better life. And I like that he's always straight up and will risk his life to be honest. He's a real man of character. I'm surprised (view spoiler)

And I have to say, when I think of Rhaegar I always think of you too!! LOL. The other day I was at the dollar store and their was a wreath of fake blue roses their...like the kind you might put around some candles or something, made me think of you too even before I thought of Lyanna. Kinda funny.

@ Gordon - Bronn is a good choice too. Didn't think about that. I like him also. For some reason, I was actually happy when (view spoiler) I thought it was nice in a really weird way.

message 21: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments Yay! I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Name: Nelson Acosta

How were you introduced to ASOIAF?
I saw the first season of the show and I needed to know what happened next!

How many of the books have you read?
All of them, including the Dunk & Egg novellas.

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched
All three :)

Which character is your favourite?
Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Davos Seaworth and Arya Stark of course!

Which character is your least favourite?
Daenerys Targarryen

Ygritte! I love redheads! Lyanna also seems like fun :P

Which character do you find most intriguing?
Varys and Roose Bolton :O

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all?
Tyrion! I realy think he's the only one with what is called "King Material" the guy is smart, knows how to play the game, is efficient and is not badshit crazy.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (kob1) | 1 comments Name: Karen

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? A friend recommended the series of books. I baulked at first since I'm not really into fantasy fiction (except for Harry Potter) I knew it was on TV, however I didn't have cable, so I rented the DVDs to test the waters. Once I started watching Season 1 on DVD I was hooked and starting reading the series.

How many of the books have you read? All 5 that have been written so far (plus the Hedge Knight, if that counts.)

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? The first 2 seasons, I'm waiting for the 3rd season to come on DVD, however I have seen snippets of it on Youtube.

Which character is your favourite? Jon Snow, Sansa, Ned Stark, Tyrion, and Samwell Tarley. Rhaeghar would be if he were around.

Which character is your least favourite? the Hound, Lysa, Littlefinger, Cersei and Joffrey.

Which character do you most resemble and why? Sansa, not the bratty Sansa of the first novel, but the Sansa who is trying to survive and who is unsure how to do it, but continues to move forward the best way she knows how.

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Jon Snow, hands down.

Which character do you find most intriguing? Tyrion, he is such a fascinating character; highly intelligent and incredibly brave.

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Tyrion, he's proven he can rule.

message 23: by James (new)

James Galvin | 98 comments Name: James

How were you introduced to ASOIAF? My father recommended them to me.

How many of the books have you read? All five eagerly anticipating the final two.

How many seasons of the TV show have you watched? I've seen all 3 seasons.

Which character is your favorite? I have many however Tyrion, Brienne, and Jamie are fav POV and Pod and the Hound are my favorite support characters.

Which character is your least favorite? It started out as Sansa ( what an insipid little twit) but as the story advances I'm getting sick of Dany. Her increasingly poor decisions along with her stalled progress towards westeros makes me dread her storyline.

Which character do you most resemble and why? Tyrion because I like to read, I'm witty, and enjoy the pleasures of the flesh.

Which character would you go on a date with? Renly Baratheon

Which character do you find most intriguing? Samwell Tarly. He's bound for great things.

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Jamie Lannister. Would love to see Kingslayer become King with Brienne as his queen.

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula (paularoper) | 4 comments Name: Paula
How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? My brother recommended it to me.
How many of the books have you read? 4
Which character is your favourite? Wow..that's hard. Tyrion overall....but Brienne is moving up the list.
Which character is your least favourite? The Greyjoys.....all of them.
Which character would you like to go on a date with? You know nothing....John Snow!
Which character do you find most intriguing? Jamie Lannister.....I think there's more to him than our first impressions.
Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Tyrion.

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula (paularoper) | 4 comments Mike wrote: "Thank you Sally for the use of this questionairre! :-)

Name: Mike
How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? Saw the books
How many of the books have you read?..."

I agree about Gendry & Arya! I've only read the first 4 books but I really hope that they eventually find their way back together. I enjoyed reading their dynamic.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson Paula's Book Nook wrote: "Name: Paula
How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? My brother recommended it to me.
How many of the books have you read? 4
How many seasons of the TV series have you w..."

We're definitely on the same page as far as kings (Tyrion) and dates (Jon Snow).

message 27: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Name: Eyehavenofilter
undisclosed location
read all 5 books ( 4 times) (so sad I know)
Also both Dreamsongs books
trying to find Dunk and Egg books
introduced to GRRM long time ago but reintroduced when I saw an Ad for Game of Thrones with Peter Dinklege and immediately fell in love!
Watched one episode and bought the book. Went crazy!
continued reading till my eyes almost fell out!
Favorite character....ohoh! well for sheer plot momentum...it has to be LITTLETWISTEDFINGER!...my own nick name for Lord Bailish.
For fantasy date....it would be a cuddle and kiss with both Tyrion and The Hound!
yeah.. I know " Badtards and broken men...gotta love them!

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Name: Tom

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? A friend who doesn't read fantasy recommended the books. Being a fan of olde school pre-Tolkien fantasy, I was skeptical, but here I am...

How many of the books have you read? 5

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? 2

Which character is your favourite? Stannis Baratheon, followed by Sandor Clegane & Bran/Hodor...

Which character is your least favourite? That is a more difficult question. I dislike so many of them...

Which character do you most resemble and why? Resemble as in appearance or as in personality? The question is vague. I probably look like I'm in the Mormont family: big and hairy like a bear. Red hairy...

Which character would you like to go on a date with? None of them. I have a woman and don't care to have another...

Which character do you find most intriguing? Stannis Baratheon. I feel a lot of empathy for this character. The further I get from reading the books, the larger he looms in my mind. I dig his sardonic sense of humor. I think I will do a painting of him at some point...

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Stannis Barartheon, but I think Danaerys will eventually become the real deal. While reading the first book, I thought Danaerys and Khal Drogo would have been exactly what Westeros needed, but that obviously didn't work out. I sided with Stannis once and for all after he moved his strength to the Wall...

♣ Miss Liddell ♠ (synecd0che) Sorta new to the whole group thing...here goes...

Name: Eilexus

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? TV Show

How many of the books have you read? 5

Which character is your favourite? Too many...Brienne, The Hound, Jaime, Tyrion, Sansa, Arianne, Davos...

Which character is your least favourite? Theon/Reek, of course Joffrey, Littlefinger

Which character do you most resemble and why? Ummm...probably somewhere between Arianne and Arya. LOL

Which character would you like to go on a date with? No sure...they're all pretty fucked up.

Which character do you find most intriguing? Lady Melissandre

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Not Daenerys. Not Jon. I like Jon where he is now. Rooting for Sansa. I'd be okay with Stannis Baratheon or Rickon Stark (any of the Starks actually).

message 30: by James (new)

James Loftus I am James John Loftus author of Celtic Blood

Currently Giveaway is on: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

I am a huge fan of A Game of Thrones

Mr Martin is beyond genius. I am convinced he is an alien, no one, is that good and still human.

Check his neck for some alien, thing-oh ...

It'll be there just under his shirt!

message 31: by Jenny (last edited Nov 27, 2013 07:04AM) (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments Sorry james. Clicked your enter to win link before noticing it was for us only. Too bad. Would have liked to win and read it, but who knows. Maybe I'll come acros it in some Dutch bookstore.. And totally agree with you. That mind of his just can't be purely human. Maybe he's somekind of experimental hybrid??

Oh and love the celtic blood trailer on youtube btw...

message 32: by James (new)

James Loftus Jenny wrote: "Sorry james. Clicked your enter to win link before noticing it was for us only. Too bad. Would have liked to win and read it, but who knows. Maybe I'll come acros it in some Dutch bookstore.. And t..."

http://tinyurl.com/CelticBloodPBCeltic Blood

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Name: Catherine

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? The TV Series (but I did read the books first before I watched the show)

How many of the books have you read? 2 reading the 3rd one now.

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? 2

Which character is your favourite? Margaery Tyrell

Which character is your least favourite? Catelyn and the Lannisters.

Which character do you most resemble? Margaery Tyrell

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Jon Snow lol who wouldn't

Which character do you find most intriguing? Daenerys

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Daenerys or Margaery Tyrell lol

message 34: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) | 81 comments There's a pretty cool outline 'Game of Thrones' interview questions, just look above & cut & paste, than answer... It covers a great deal :)

message 35: by Franzi (new)

Franzi Just found this thread:

Name: Franziska Harich

How i came to ASOIAF: i was given the first book, and couldn't stop reading

How many books did i read: all of them + dunk and egg novellas but just in german and looking forward to read them in english too

How many of the series did i watch: just the first season

Favourite character: jon snow, arya stark, tyrion lannister, samwell tarly

Least favourite character: cersei lannister, joffrey baratheon, shae

Most intriguing character: varys, petyr baelish

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary Rugg Courtney (mruggby) | 15 comments Name: Mary

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? --Game night. A friend of my husband (then boyfriend) brought over the board game (the old one, pre-television series). When I found out that it was based on a book, I had to read it...and I've been a huge fan ever since.

How many of the books have you read? I've read the entire series twice.

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? ALL

Which character is your favourite? The Hound, Jaime Lannister, Brienne...SOOOOOO many

Which character is your least favourite? Catelyn and the Greyjoys

Which character do you most resemble? Brienne

Which character would you like to go on a date with? I have a soft spot for Jorah Mormont...and he hasn't taken a vow of celibacy, or I might say Jon Snow...

Which character do you find most intriguing? The Hound, Jorah Mormont, Jaime Lannister...I'm also interested to see what direction Sansa's character takes

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Jon Snow...maybe with Daenerys and Tyrion somewhere in the picture as well

message 37: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bec_mahar) | 8 comments Name: Rebecca

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? The books were recommended to me by a friend.

How many of the books have you read? The whole series so far.

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? 4

Which character is your favourite? Arya, Tyrion, Littlefinger

Which character is your least favourite? Theon/Reek

Which character do you most resemble? Probably a mix of Arya & Sansa

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Anyone except Jon Snow- I don't really get the appeal

Which character do you find most intriguing? Varys

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Arya

message 38: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (gingerpony) | 7 comments Name:Rowan
Born:7/15/2001
Do I like reading:YESSS!!!!!
Do I like GOT(Game of Thrones):YESSS!!!!!!
Is Holly my mom:Yes
Fave character:Arya
Least fave character:Theon
Who is coolest:Danerys

message 39: by Darren (last edited Dec 21, 2014 06:36AM) (new)

Darren Turner | 11 comments Name: Darren
How many of the books have you read: The whole series as well as dunk & Egg even though it was the comics
How many of seasons of the TV series have you seen: all so far
Favourite character: Tyrion or The Hound
Least favourite character: Joffrey
Which character do you most resemble?: Rob Stark (just because we have same colour hair)
Which character would you like to go on a date with? From the show Missandei and from the books Margaery
Which character would like to see take the Iron Throne: Tyrion

message 40: by Drewr15 (last edited Jan 06, 2015 07:07AM) (new)

Drewr15 | 8 comments Cool idea

Name: Drew

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? Waiting for the next book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series I read a recommendation by him for A Game of Thrones and decided to pick it up.

How many of the books have you read? All 5 and each at least 3 times. Ha

How many seasons of the TV series have you watched? All

Which character is your favourite? Robb and Tyrion.

Which character is your least favourite? Cersei

Which character do you most resemble and why? Probably Sir Davos - the Onion Knight. Just for his loyalty and attempt to do the right thing but not as noble as Ned so he isn't afraid to bend the rules when needed.

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Arianne or Daenerys

Which character do you find most intriguing? Varys. So much more to this guy yet to be revealed.

Which character would you like to see take the Iron Throne once and for all? Daenerys. I just want her to get to Westeros already!

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary Cheney (marypcheney) | 14 comments Name: Mary

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? My son recommended the series and gave the books to me as a gift.

How many of the books have you read? All five.

How many seasons of the tv seasons have you watched? All of them. I also purchased the series on Blu-Ray as I love the special features & digital copy to watch at the laundromat :).

Which character is your favorite? I have so many that it's hard to pick, Tyrion (love his wit & sarcasm) and Arya (love her sisu)

Which character is your least favorite? I have a few but I would say Theon Grejoy

Which character do you resemble & why? Arya, I too have sisu :) (determination, bravery, & resilience).

Which character would you like to go on a date with? Ned Stark, as he was a good man.

Which character do you find the most intriguing? Petyr (little finger)

Which character would you like to take the Iron Throne once and for all? Tyrion

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily Buck | 22 comments Name: Emily

How were you first introduced to ASOIAF? Through the shows. I watched seasons 1-3 that were released and immediately picked up the books!

How many of the books have you read?
All 5 and all the released chapters of winds of winter

How many seasons of the tv show have you watched?
All of them and I bought them all on DVD :)

Which character is your favorite?
Jon Snow, I've always loved him. He's very complex and such an underdog. I'm rooting for him so much. I love him!!

Which character is your least favorite?
The obvious one would be Joffrey. But I also don't like Stannis or Ramsay Snow.

Which character do you resemble and why?
I've always thought of myself as Robb Stark. I'm the eldest in my family and consider myself a leader. I would do anything for my family. I also think I could make the same mistakes he did, sadly. I also think I resemble Dany a bit too... Not sure why though, I always just understood her very well. Maybe cause I'm a light blonde:)

JON. A thousand million times jon snow.

Which character do you find the most intriguing?
Lord Varys. He is behind everything even more than we thought he was. We learn in dance with dragons that he was responsible for so many things.. And truly does serve the realm. Also his epilogue in dance was badass.

Which character would you like to take the iron throne once and for all?
I would love to see dany... But sadly I don't think that will happen. I have my own theories on what will happen to her. I do believe that either Sansa will sit on the iron throne or no one will sit on the iron throne because it will be destroyed along with all of kingslanding.

message 43: by Widiana (last edited Jan 26, 2015 03:49AM) (new)

Widiana Martiningsih | 1 comments Hi, I would also like to join this discussion.

Name: Widiana (you can all call me Widi)

I have completed all 4 seasons of the TV series, but haven't got with the books as they're particularly hard to obtain in my country.

Also, I've heard nothing of any possibilities that the book series would be translated into Indonesian. This is actually so sad as the TV series has gained numerous fans here, and I'm sure there are lots of fans who are waiting to read the book (most Indonesians don't speak/read English, however.)

I'm actually very willing to translate the books, but haven't got any clue on who's (which publisher) going to publish them :(

message 44: by Drewr15 (new)

Drewr15 | 8 comments Maybe we could ship you a paperback version of book 1?

message 45: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 77 comments Hi! I'm Brooklyn!

I'm up to season 4 of the series and I'm re reading the books from the start.

My favourite characters are Jon, Tyrion, Dany & Arya. But I love them all. Aside from Joffrey. He's a prat.

I fell in love with the books & series purely by chance. I picked up the books and DVDs and really haven't looked back. Im enamoured with both the text and screen, it's all just perfect and epic.

I look forward to chatting with fellow "A Song of Ice & Fire Fans." about everything from direwolves to...well...anything else :)

message 46: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Hi Widiana, my fellow Indonesian :) A Game of Thrones is now being translated by Fantasious, a local publisher. It will be issued in March, hopefully.

message 47: by Galzia Tekrus (new)

Galzia Tekrus my name is Gamzee and this is what i think George Martin sees when he has writer's block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-h8...

message 48: by Desi (new)

Desi | 2 comments Hi Widiana,

I am also a translator and interpreter and I am currently on book 2, A Clash of Kings. I'm reading the ebooks from Amazon as it is hard to find the hardcopy in Indonesia.

But the first book has been translated and published in bahasa Indonesia, like what Silviana mentioned previously in this thread.

message 49: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dennis Richardson (catrionarich) | 13 comments I am new to the group. I'm a 53 year old public librarian near Atlanta, GA. I have read all 5 books and I'm a big fan of the HBO series. I love all the actors & characters really but Tyrion Lanister is a favorite and I think Peter Dinklage does a stupendous job in his portrayal. I also love Jorah Mormont and Ian Glenn. Who knows how the series will end but I can see Dany and Jon Snow sharing the Iron Throne because I believe Jon is a Targaryen & a Stark, not Ned's child at all but his sister's that he agreed on her deathbed to raise as his own. I am also a huge Outlander fan, the books and the Starz series. I find that many of us are fans of both series. I have read those books too and as wonderful and groundbreaking as the series is and I think it deserves many Emmy's I like the books even better. With GOT I think the television series is even better than the books. Although I read them all I had to plod through them at some points. I did give them all 5 of 5 stars and think George R.R. Martin is the American Tolkein but I like the Outlander books much more. Don't shoot me, please ;)