Janet Tronstad - Dry Creek & Other Stories discussion

How people used to sleep! I didn't know this --

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 1207 comments Mod
I picked this up online and have to say I am very surprised. I've never heard of first sleep and second sleep. How about you?

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-a...

message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments Had never heard of that either, but that is quite interesting!

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments interesting.

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina | 126 comments I must be kin to them, I dont sleep the whole night, sometimes I get up and work on the computer, lol

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

This is a reminder to me that I can't assume that the way things are now is the way they have always been.

message 6: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments I like that Janet! Probably esp good to know when doing Historicals huh?

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 148 comments I enjoyed the article, Janet.

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

And, what a great idea for a book -- maybe a mystery abotu something done between first and second sleeps??? What owuld you do during those hours?
Me -- I'd read most of it, I think.

Now, I'm kind of liking the idea of the time between those sleeps when all is quiet and cozy.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy | 277 comments Thanks, Janet.

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments I noticed it was before street lighting etc. I guess specially in winter it was warmer to go to bed early.
I guess there was also the issue of saving oil or candles etc.
I find if I go to bed early I tend to wake an hour or so later and sometimes am awake for a bit. I wonder how it worked in summer

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm sure keeping warm (and not using as much heat) was part of it. Also, when you think about how electric (or gas) lights have changed our lives it is amazing. Also if people got up at dawn, they were no doubt tired enough to go to sleep when the sun went down.

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 614 comments I know I am!!!!!!!!!!
On Friday night I feel asleep around 7pm for over an hour not heavy sleep but enough not to care when a wicket fell in the cricket then was wide awake for a couple of hours.

message 13: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 434 comments Perhaps that's why "naptime" became popular :)

message 14: by Melody (new)

Melody | 304 comments I think I would read too, I do that often before sleep, or rather when I should have already gone to bed! :)

message 15: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments Janet there was a case where a man sleepwalked and drove his car to his MIL and killed her and drove home having no memory of it, true case...wondered if this has anything to do with different types of sleep?