The Haunting of Hill House The Haunting of Hill House discussion

ghost stories?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al (new)

Al Any recommendations for other novel-length ghost stories?

Michael Brown Ghost Story (Peter Straub), Fogheart (Thomas Tessier), Sweetheart Sweetheart (Bernard Taylor), Naomi's Room (Jonathan Aycliffe).

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Richard Matheson's "Hell House"
Thomas M Disch "The Businessman"

The considered master of the short story form is M. R. James and any collection of his stories contains a number of treasures.

Feliks True dat about Dr Montague James. Seconded.

message 5: by Al (new)

Al Michael wrote: "Ghost Story (Peter Straub), Fogheart (Thomas Tessier), Sweetheart Sweetheart (Bernard Taylor), Naomi's Room (Jonathan Aycliffe)."

Thanks

message 6: by Al (new)

Al Jon wrote: "Richard Matheson's "Hell House"
Thomas M Disch "The Businessman"

The considered master of the short story form is M. R. James and any collection of his stories contains a number of treasures."

Thanks. Fortunately, the Kindle edition of M. R. James free.

message 7: by Al (new)

Al Feliks wrote: "True dat about Dr Montague James. Seconded."

Thank you.

Emily Caught on Film An American Nightmare by Andy Otto

Give this one a read. :)

message 9: by Al (new)

Al Emily wrote: "Caught on Film An American Nightmare by Andy Otto

Give this one a read. :)"

Thanks!

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Tupper Dark Matter, by Michelle Paver is great. It is set on Svaldbard, an arctic island.

Michael Paul wrote: "Dark Matter, by Michelle Paver is great. It is set on Svaldbard, an arctic island."

This one goes on my TBR list!
I would recommend The Terror by Dan Simmons
I think you might enjoy it.

message 12: by Al (new)

Al Paul wrote: "Dark Matter, by Michelle Paver is great. It is set on Svaldbard, an arctic island."

Thanks. I check both of these.

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Tupper This one goes on my TBR list!
I think you might enjoy..."

I've read it and I loved it.

message 14: by Al (new)

Al Paul wrote: "This one goes on my TBR list!
I think you might enjoy..."

I've read it and I loved it."

It does look good. Do you like his books generally?

message 15: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Tupper It does look good. Do you like his books generally?"

I love Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. But those two and The Terror are the only books of his I've been able to get into.

message 16: by Al (new)

Al Paul wrote: "It does look good. Do you like his books generally?"

I love Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. But those two and The Terror are the only books of his I've been able to get into."

Actually, I've never read him.

message 17: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben I've always loved 'classic' ghost stories like M.R. James, and Saki, but for novel-length Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker, has always stuck in my memory as a great ghost story. In fact, I wouldn't mind reading it again at some point.

message 18: by Al (new)

Al Benjamin wrote: "I've always loved 'classic' ghost stories like M.R. James, and Saki, but for novel-length Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker, has always stuck in my memory as a great ghost story. In fact, I wouldn't..."

That you want to read it again is a pretty good recommendation. Thanks.

message 19: by Kat (last edited Sep 04, 2013 09:09PM) (new) - added it

Stacey Bag of Bones by Stephen King is one of my favorites. Ghost Story was really good, too. That's by Peter Straub. There is an old one called The Girl in the Swing. I can't remember the author, though.

message 21: by Al (new)

Al Stacey wrote: "Bag of Bones by Stephen King is one of my favorites. Ghost Story was really good, too. That's by Peter Straub. There is an old one called The Girl in the Swing. I can't remember the author, tho..."

That the 2nd recommendation for the King and the Straub books; I'll definitely check them out.

Is the The Girl in the Swing the by Richard Adams?

message 22: by Al (new)

Al Kat wrote: "The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker. Also, try this list: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/25..."

Yeah, I like Stoker, thanks. I'll check out the Gaiman book.

Thanks too for the list.

Kevin Parsons Stacey wrote: "Bag of Bones by Stephen King is one of my favorites. Ghost Story was really good, too. That's by Peter Straub. There is an old one called The Girl in the Swing. I can't remember the author, tho..."

Girl in the Swing is by Richard Adams (who is most famous for Watership Down). Very different from that book but I agree that it was a good book as well.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Cubitt The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

Kylie Joe Hill, Heart shaped box. And his short story collection, 20th century ghosts is an awesome read (not all are ghost stories, but all are great).

Brenda Bauer I second Richard's suggestion of The Turn of the Screw.

message 27: by Mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mare Kinley Definitely second or third or eleventh the recommendations for Strab's "Ghost Story" and King's "Bag of Bones."

Steven Maurer The secret of crickley hall by James Herbert or The Shining is an obvious classic.

message 29: by Al (new)

Al Mary wrote: "The Woman in Black I will second The Turn of the Screw."

Thanks!

Glenn Goettel I know you specified novel-length. However, if you're looking for a quicker fix, the novella "The Moonlit Road" by Ambrose Bierce is the best ghost story by this dark, disturbed and oft-neglected master of the genre.