Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Insurgent discussion

Who is the descendant of Edith Prior? Andrew or Natalie?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Memi (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Memi We don't know exactly how many generations Amanda Ridder/Edith Prior goes back. There is the assumption that she is the mother or grandmother of either Andrew or Natalie. Did Edith only have one child? I wonder after she entered the new society if Edith could have had siblings who also were placed their as well. While in the new society Edith probably got married and and could have had a couple of children and lets say those children had children. Theoretically there could be many branches Edith's family tree and the decedents could have chose to be in different factions changing their last names by marriage or just by choice like perhaps Matthews ;). The big question every is debating here is which of Tris's parents originally had last name is Prior? Andrew or Natalie? My money is on Natalie.

This is a little off this discussions but I am bring this up because it kind of ties to the paragraph above if Edith had more than one child because this can explain discussions boards as to Tris's paternity due to her close age to Caleb and and her resemblance to Jeanine. If Edith had more than one child or siblings they could on passed on a family resemblance leading people to assume that Jeanine is Tris's biological mother. I think that this can be attributed to a mere coincidence or a distant family resemblance it does not automatically mean that Jeanine is Tris's bio mom.

Going back to the topic, I believe that Edith Prior is Tris's maternal grandmother though how many greats is unclear. The reason I believe Natalie is a decedent of Edith Prior when is because when Jeanine and the traitor Dauntless leaders attacked the Abnegation to take control of the government but more importantly for Jeanine anyway to obtain the Edith Prior file. The only person in a faction of selfless people it was Natalie who went to get the file from Jeanine willing to sacrifice herself to do so. I don't think that she was the only person who went because she was originally Dauntless (It's not like Andrew or Marcus did not know how touse a gun of the 50 or some council members) This seems like it was personal for Natalie because her ancestor was Edith the leader of the organization, her family. When Tris found out from Marcus of her mothers intentions of obtaining the file and the risks her mother was willing to take Tris like her mother before her put it all on the line because it was personal it was her mother's wish it was a family thing.

The reason I don't be believe Andrew was a descendant is because he left Erudite faction of origin and despised so much he often spoke against them and what they stood for. So much so that he didn't want anything to do with them I doubt he would keep his last name instead choosing his partner's Natalie in fact he might as well have changed his first name as well. There is so little we know of Natalie and Andrew generation but anyway I do not know why he chose to leave maybe he stared to witness corruption and decided it wasn't for him.

Mirkat I have a hunch that Edith Prior was Andrew's grandmother (mother of his father), and thus Tris's grandmother. My thinking is that the state of Divergents existing in abundance needed more time to develop.

Italia8989 It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anything is possible, though.

notyourfriend Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anything is possible, though."

I agree.

message 5: by Memi (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Memi Memi wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anything is possible, though."

..."

I had edited my jumbled thoughts from the first paragraph hopefully to make it clearer to what I was trying to explain. It may help maybe not .

Memi Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anything is possible, though."
I have edited my jumbled thoughts in the first paragraph hopefully to make it clearer to what I was trying to explain it may help maybe not.
..."

Italia8989 Memi wrote: "Memi wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anything is possibl..."

I meant that your answer was so thoroughly written it would be impossible to "follow" it, or write anything equivalent to your answer. Sorry for any misunderstandings!

message 8: by Memi (last edited Aug 25, 2013 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Memi Italia8989 wrote: "Memi wrote: "Memi wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of being Divergent. Anythi..."

Thank you for your clarification. Makes me feel better about what I had wrote but ultimately decided to reword it because it was very complicated . I also added another paragraph of thoughts that were tied to my Edith Prior theory. :)

message 9: by Italia8989 (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Italia8989 Memi wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "Memi wrote: "Memi wrote: "Italia8989 wrote: "It will be kind of hard to follow the first answer, but I believe Natalie is the descendant because she was the primary focus of bein..."

Ha-ha, you're welcome. :)

Marie I always though that Andrew was descended from Edith Prior, because men always carry the surname

(well, unless it is different in dystopian Chicago, that is :P)

Olivia Gavin While I think its Andrew because of the name, I also think its Natalie because of her kick-butt spirit that Tris and Edith also seem to have. But you never know...Veronica tends to surprise me.

Juliet Olivia wrote: "While I think its Andrew because of the name, I also think its Natalie because of her kick-butt spirit that Tris and Edith also seem to have. But you never know...Veronica tends to surprise me."

That's what I was thinking too

Natalie Are her parents seriously named Andrew and Natalie? I didn't even know that. (I knew the mom was Natalie, but I didn't know the dad's name) because my name is Natalie and my brother's name is Andrew haha
And my boyfriend's sister has a boyfriend named Andrew, and HIS sister is named Natalie!! haa