The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Hey all,

I was curious to see how many people listen to audiobooks? I have only listened to one myself and it wasn't fiction. I'd like to try a few good ones, any recommendations?

I'm curious about the popularity of audiobooks in general as I was considering doing one for Getting Lucky for a bit of fun but wasn't sure what chunk of active readers also listen to audiobooks.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethandluna) I like audiobooks because I can listen to them while working. The Sandcastle Girls was really good and the librevox version of Anne of Green Gables was pretty awesome. You can download it at http://www.booksshouldbefree.com

message 3: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Thanks Beth, I will check out both of those. I never did get around to reading Anne of Green Gables, now's my chance :)

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethandluna) I just read it for the first time this year. It was one of our classic reads for the Ladies & Lit group.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments I just recently started listening to audiobooks and I really enjoy them. I spend a lot of time driving lately, so they're perfect for me to keep up with my reading.

However, the narrator can make or break the book. There are some narrators that you can't stop listening to and they enhance the enjoyment of the book and others that you can't stand listening to and you just have to shut it off. I know a lot of people that say narrators have ruined books for them.

message 6: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Hmm, certainly something to bear in mind. One thing I have done is found a guy with an actual sound booth so I'm not doing it on my home computer. I'm not sure I really have the voice for it, my accents a total mess after moving around so much.

I think I will have to listen to a few more audiobooks before I try making my own, I'd like to better understand how they handle different characters etc.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments I know Neil Gaiman does a lot (or all?) of his own books and people love it. I haven't listened to any of his, but I've heard great things about them if you want to check them out. People actually recommended that I listen to The Ocean at the End of the Lane on audio versus reading it.

I think it's great when authors narrate their own books. You know how it sounds to you in your head when you write it and I think we get a little insight into how the story was meant to be. (If that makes sense.)

message 8: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 177 comments I love audiobooks! I listen to all types but my favorites are mysteries and thrillers it seems to ratch up the suspense

message 9: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Has anyone listened to the World War Z audiobook? It is one I've heard a few people say is good.

message 10: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 37 comments Had six hours in the car yesterday (by myself) and listened to Matched by Ally Condie. Love it can't wait to hear what happens - will play the last two discs at work today instead of having the radio on.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments They have several different audio versions of World War Z. I listened to the long version. They did a very good job with it, but they had a whole bunch of actors all reading different parts so that the characters literally have their own voices. I think that's why so many people liked that one.

Here is the narrator list copied from the library website:
Performed by an all-star cast : F. Murray Abraham, Alan Alda, René Auberjonois, Becky Ann Baker, Dennis Boutsikaris, Bruce Boxleitner, Max Brooks, Nicki Clyne, Common, Denise Crosby, Frank Darabont, Dean Edwards, Mark Hamill, Nathan Fillion, Maz Jobrani, Frank Kamai, Michelle Kholos, John McElroy, Ade M'Cormack, Alfred Molina, Parminder Nagra, Ajay Naidu, Masi Oka, Steve Park, Kal Penn, Simon Pegg, Jürgen Prochnow, Carl Reiner, Rob Reiner, Henry Rollins, Jeri Ryan, Jay O. Sanders, Martin Scorsese, Paul Sorvino, David Ogden Stiers, Brian Tee, John Turturro, Eamonn Walker, Ric Young, Waleed Zuaiter.

message 12: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 308 comments I read too much, which affects taking care of things in the house, so audiobooks was a way to compromise. I can still get things done while I listen to them. I really loved the Percy Jackson series on audiobook. I really love that narrator. I also thought that the narrators for Gone Girl were really good.

message 13: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Thanks for all the great recommendations everyone, my iPods going to be getting some use over the next few weeks! :)

message 14: by Michael (last edited Aug 27, 2013 08:19PM) (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments Kristie wrote: "They have several different audio versions of World War Z. I listened to the long version. They did a very good job with it, but they had a whole bunch of actors all reading different parts so that..."

Hey Kristia, on Neil's website there is full reading of him doing a older YA book called The Graveyard Book it a live reading and sound like it, but give you a idea oh his reading skill. He just has a great English accent that is gentle The Graveyard Book Tour anyway give it a check if time allows. =)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments Michael wrote: "Kristie wrote: "They have several different audio versions of World War Z. I listened to the long version. They did a very good job with it, but they had a whole bunch of actors all reading differe..."

Thank you. Sorry I missed this post earlier. I just listened to The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Coraline on audio. Neil Gaiman narrates both of those. He is a wonderful narrator. He changes his inflection and has interesting pauses. He is fun to listen to. I'm going to check out the Graveyard Book too, but not for a little while. I'm a bit swamped with other reads right now.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ferrychic) | 20 comments I love audio books,but the narrator can make or break a book for me.

message 17: by Mkooo (new)

Mkooo | 4 comments I read/listened Murakami's 1q84, his audiobooks are generally done very well . I do have a problem with some older books, usually nonfiction, lots of noise in background

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I have only listened to The Red Pyramid as an audio book and I really enjoyed it.

message 19: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Are audiobooks typically abridged? I have only listened to a couple but they seemed to specifically call out that they were unabridged.

message 20: by JL (last edited Sep 15, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

JL Roberts (jlroberts) | 43 comments I listened to Naked (The Blackstone Affair, #1) by Raine Miller and it was done very well, I enjoyed it. I am now on All In (The Blackstone Affair, #2) by Raine Miller and so far so good. I have never listened to audio books but am enjoying these ones.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4820 comments Craig wrote: "Are audiobooks typically abridged? I have only listened to a couple but they seemed to specifically call out that they were unabridged."

I don't know how often they're abridged, but most of the people I know prefer the unabridged versions. I think they just specify whether they are abridged or not on all of them.