Casual Readers discussion

Suggestion Box > Throwback Thursday Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Amber (puresurplus) | 830 comments Mod
I have one full week of suggestions on the shelf and can continue adding these myself, if necessary.

Input from the group will make it much more interesting for everyone!

Moderators, mount up.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Since I'm already a part of a couple book clubs and trying to reach some personal goals I don't plan on doing many of the weekly reads. If you want suggestions for monthly I'm sure I could go through my queue.

message 3: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Without much interest at this time, I'm really only looking for some Throwback Thursday re-read suggestions.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa None of the other groups I have been in has done a throwback Thursday. What's the premise?

message 5: by Amber, The Founder (new)

What is Throwback Thursdays? The premise is to recommend your favorite blast from the past re-reads. It's a great way to share reads that some of the rest of us simply haven't gotten around to reading yet. The more obscure the better!

message 6: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Anyone have a throwback for tomorrow? Your GR profile will be featured on the blog.

message 7: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 15 comments Touch the Dark if you want some urban fantasy here's my suggestion, it took me 2 reads to fully appreciate it; the first time i liked the good time and the supernatural part, the second time I appreciated the intrigue and the plot-twist

message 8: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Aug 28, 2013 12:43PM) (new)

Thanks, Kamil! Writing the post now. Look for it tomorrow.

message 9: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kamil wrote: "Touch the Dark if you want some urban fantasy here's my suggestion, it took me 2 reads to fully appreciate it; the first time i liked the good time and the supernatural part, the second time I appr..."

Your post is up!

http://casualreadersbookclub.blogspot...

message 10: by Cherish (new)

Cherish (lady_cherish) | 45 comments Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger for a fun steampunk filled jaunt through the paranormal as your neighbour :)

message 11: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Usually, I would only consider a throwback as one published at least 5 years ago. This one is on the cusp at 4ish, so featuring it next week. I see you gave it FIVE STARS. Thanks!

message 12: by Lila, The Cat Lady (last edited Sep 06, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
I've never done a Throwback Thursday before, so hopefully I'm on the right track! If you'd like one to try, I'll suggest...
Dancing Barefoot by Wil Wheaton
It's a collection of short stories from the perspective of a geek and former Star Trek actor. While I've never seen the series, I found these stories to be very heart warming and humorous, and it's a nice quick read! Somewhat non-fiction.

message 13: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Thanks, Lila!

message 14: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Post goes up at 10am EDT.

message 15: by Jolene (new)

Jolene (jolene_wsm) | 19 comments A blast from the past read huh.... Can I recommend Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? Read the book, the graphic novel and even watched the Mini-series... not to mention the recent BBC 4 Radio drama starring James McAvoy as Richard Mayhew and the extremely sexy Benedict Cumberbatch as the Angel Islington... Absolutely LOVE this book.

message 16: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

Thank you Amber! Also, I think that's a wonderful choice Jolene - I was pondering picking up a copy of Neverwhere while at the store yesterday.

message 17: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Thanks, Jolene! Your post will be up next week.

message 18: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Jolene's blast from the past will post in the morning. Who's got another suggestion for next week?

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm reading Hillary Clinton's Living History (which was published in 2003) and would recommend it to anyone just to see a perspective on the events from 1960s till 2012.

message 20: by Amber, The Founder (new)

You got it, Melissa. Adding your suggestion to next week's post. Thanks!

message 21: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Who hasn't made a suggestion yet? You're up for next week!

message 22: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'm reading Hillary Clinton's Living History (which was published in 2003) and would recommend it to anyone just to see a perspective on the events from 1960s till 2012."

Your post will be featured this Thursday.

message 23: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 226 comments Mod
I don't actually re-read books. Plays sometimes, but never books.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa ^^^ Same, I only re-read if I need to catch up for a series that took a long time between novels or it's something I read when I was younger and absolutely loved. Other than that, I have too long of a to-read list to dedicate time in that way.

message 25: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Throwback Thursdays is a chance to recommend all of those books that you WISH you had time to re-read! Haha.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Amber wrote: "Throwback Thursdays is a chance to recommend all of those books that you WISH you had time to re-read! Haha."

Now that makes more sense to me.

message 27: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Amber wrote: "Throwback Thursdays is a chance to recommend all of those books that you WISH you had time to re-read! Haha."

Well in that case I can think of a few things. ;)
Give me a day or two and I'll get something picked out.

message 28: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Beck Kalnasy (kaylabeck) | 33 comments I would love to go back and reread The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz just to see if I love it as much now. (It's probably in my top five favorite books of all time.)

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  Tomlinson (mama_fullybooked) I would love to re-read The Bone Garden  by Tess Gerritsen . It is fantastic.

message 30: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Thanks, Kayla & Lauren. These are going in the blog queue! Keep 'em coming.

message 31: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kayla: Your post will be up on 10/3.

message 32: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Lauren: Yours will is scheduled for 10/10.

message 33: by J. (new)

J. Fenn (jlincolnfenn) Because I'm waiting on pins and needles for MaddAddam to drop, how about a re-read of Oryx & Crake?

message 34: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Excellent suggestion, J. Thanks!

message 35: by Sima (new)

Sima | 10 comments I see Neverwhere has already been suggested so I'm going to go with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read it ASAP.

message 36: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Sima wrote: "I see Neverwhere has already been suggested so I'm going to go with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read it ASAP."

message 37: by Amber, The Founder (new)

J. wrote: "Because I'm waiting on pins and needles for MaddAddam to drop, how about a re-read of Oryx & Crake?"

Post scheduled for 10/17.

message 38: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 15 comments Did i mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Kamil wrote: "Did i mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?"

^^^ This is a book I've been meaning to make time for...

message 40: by Sudocream (new)

Sudocream | 27 comments Melissa wrote: "Kamil wrote: "Did i mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?"

^^^ This is a book I've been meaning to make time for..."

me too!

message 41: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Beck Kalnasy (kaylabeck) | 33 comments "Kamil wrote: "Did i mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?"

^^^ This is a book I've been meaning to make time for..."

Sue wrote: "me too!"

You guys should seriously make time to read it. It's short and so much fun!

message 42: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kamil wrote: "Did I mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?"

Your first suggestion was
Touch the Dark & will wait on adding more Gaiman at this time.

I want to keep the throwbacks as random as possible.

message 43: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

One book I'd love to go back to, though probably wont for sometime - due to my massive to-read catalogue - is:
Back on Track Diary of a Street Kid by Margaret Clark
It's a YA book, but I should put a warning that there are some sensitive themes in it.

message 44: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kamil wrote: "Did i mention stardust by Neil Gaiman ?"

I didn't use it for a throwback but used a quote from it for this upcoming Caturday!

message 45: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 15 comments Everything's Coming Up Rosie anyone wants to go full cheese?

message 46: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Kayla wrote: "I would love to go back and reread The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz just to see if I love it as much now. (It's probably in my top five favorite books of all time.)"

Kayla: Your post goes up in about 30 minutes!

message 47: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Sima wrote: "I see Neverwhere has already been suggested so I'm going to go with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read it ASAP."

Got this posted scheduled for 10/24.

message 48: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Any other wish-I-had-time-to-re-read-this-book favorites from someone who hasn't made a suggestion yet?

message 49: by amber, The Other Amber (last edited Oct 15, 2013 09:51PM) (new)

Baker Towers. Jennifer Haigh had a best seller with Mrs. Kimble, But Baker Towers is a far superior book. Haigh manages to tell the story of three generations of a family in one coal mining town without making you feel that she is telling either too much or too little about any of them. A five star read.

message 50: by Amber, The Founder (new)

amber wrote: "Baker Towers. Jennifer Haigh had a best seller with Mrs. Kimble, But Baker Towers is a far superior book. Haigh manages to tell the story of three generations of a family in one coal mining town wi..."

Great suggestion! I will add it ASAP.

« previous 1