The Page Turners discussion

Ranting and Raving About Books > End-of-Book Depression

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 239 comments I know that everyone has experienced a bit of End-of-Book Depression. My most recent experience with it was not a pleasant one and certainly not one that I wish to undergo a second time. Let's put it this way: Clockwork Princess. I spent about 40 minutes staring at the wall in disbelief as to what had just transpired. Need I say more?

What heartbreaking or memorable endings stand out in your mind?

message 2: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (gmargarita) Oh, no. I just started reading Clockwork Angel the other day and I'm already loving it... So I should prepare myself for some post-series depression, then?

I think the only really bad End-of-Book depression I've ever felt was after I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. And I think we've all been through that one, haha. I still get it actually, when I reread the series. And when I was younger I used to be really into the Warrior Cat series, and when I finished the 6th book I was devastated. This was before they released the news that they were going to right like 1000000 more books though...

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose (ka-tet-rose) | 37 comments I still hurt from the ending of Harry Potter.

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
I have to agree with everyone else, I experienced some series end-of-book depression after I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm not sure what was more upsetting, the deaths of such a large number of characters or the fact that the series had actually come to an end. And of course, I have to agree with Jessie, as well, on the ending of Clockwork Princess. I wasn't exactly depressed over the ending, but I wasn't really satisfied with it either. I think the ending sent me into shock for an hour or two before the ending finally sunk in.

message 5: by Riya (new)

Riya | 531 comments I had intense end-of-book depression after The Book Thief. It was a super sad book anyways, so taht factored in. Once I finsihed I honestly couldn't do anything but sit there and wonder why it had to be over. And the thought of reading another book after that was just impossible!!!

message 6: by A (new)

A H I've had a few End-of-Book Depressions. Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows was the worst I think. I even felt really bad after completing with Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga). Also, after completing Fault In Our Stars - I had the same feeling again.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 184 comments Guys...i just finished the last book in the Gallagher Girl series. this is not nearly the lowest place I have been after finishing a series but still... I can't believe it, I'm never going to see Hale again, there is never going to be another book about him... I don't think I can live in a world where there is no Hale to look forward too...

message 8: by Riya (new)

Riya | 531 comments Don't remind me Alyssa!!! I'm in the middle of the fourth book for my reread of the series before starting the last one, and I can't even handle the thought of it being over!!!!

message 9: by Mahdyah (new)

Mahdyah Alidina I cant believe that The Twilight Saga its over!

message 10: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Donson (rosiedonson) | 414 comments Finishing the Warrior Cat books by Erin Hunter actually made me depressed for days!

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I'm so sad that the Gallagher Girls series is over!!

message 12: by Lejla (new)

Lejla | 5 comments I have such a hard time moving onto other books because of end of book depression I just finished reading mockingjay and this is the only way to show my emotions:

message 13: by Riya (new)

Riya | 531 comments Brooke wrote: "I'm so sad that the Gallagher Girls series is over!!"

Totally!!!!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer I haven't started that Series: The Gallagher Girls, I go the series from the Library but got caught up in other books & had to return them unread. Should I re-get it?

message 15: by Riya (last edited Nov 17, 2013 10:12AM) (new)

Riya | 531 comments Yes! It's totally worth it :)

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer I am officially in LOVE with Daemon, I mean, I love you Katy, they should definitely be together, but I need a Daemon, he doesn't even need to be an alien!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (EmilyDorsa) | 5 comments Jessie wrote: "I know that everyone has experienced a bit of End-of-Book Depression. My most recent experience with it was not a pleasant one and certainly not one that I wish to undergo a second time. Let's pu..."

Agree, the end of Clockwork Princess just destroyed me. I was ugly crying for a long long time. But just to torture myself, I reread the epilouge a dozen times. Tragically beautiful. Worst end-0f-book depression I have ever had too.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (EmilyDorsa) | 5 comments Alyssa wrote: "Guys...i just finished the last book in the Gallagher Girl series. this is not nearly the lowest place I have been after finishing a series but still... I can't believe it, I'm never going to see H..."

you should post that it was a spoiler, now i am not going to bother to finish it.

message 19: by Riya (new)

Riya | 531 comments Emily wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "Guys...i just finished the last book in the Gallagher Girl series. this is not nearly the lowest place I have been after finishing a series but still... I can't believe it, I'm never..."

No- she's saying cause there are gonna be no more books in the series I think? I read the book....that wasn't a spoiler...

message 20: by Vahhaba (new)

Vahhaba | 11 comments The ending of Fiery Heart was heart shattering :(

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer Was it? About to start the series .....

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments I've experienced some End-of-Book depression, with The Last Olympian. It was a tragedy! I can't believe the series is over. All the things I've learned, the adventures I've been through. They're all gone. I can't.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) The last novels I suffered end-of-book depression from were Cassandra Clare's "Clockwork Princess" and Kelley Armstrong's "The Reckoning." Both were an end to a really good series, and when they were finished, I was so sad. :(

message 24: by Ron (new)

Ron | 3 comments All,
I am very sad at the end of the Gregor the Overlander series. I hate that all of the adventures they shared and tragedies made them close only to leave them forever. I liked the gregor/luxa relationship and wish that it would have turned out better for them. Now I have a question for everyone. I love these books and want to begin a new series like them. Does anyone have any suggestions on good book series like this one? Please let me know (help me get out of my post-overlander depression). Thanks.

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquecampbell) I'd have to say I deal with my end-of-book depression by imagining the story continued (sorta fan-fic?? but without the writing;), or anticipating when the next book will come out, lol.

message 26: by Ron (new)

Ron | 3 comments My problem exactly monique. I always imagine what they are doing after the book ends. I wish that I could get the author to write a new one when I know it just is not going to happen.

message 27: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquecampbell) I would seriously hand the author a basic plot so they can write faster (or in case I think the series ended too soon, so they can pick up where they left off:)

message 28: by Ron (new)

Ron | 3 comments Me too! I just want it done! I am running out of good book series to read. I need MORE! If you know of any good fantasy or mythology based series that would be great. I just wish the ones I read would be continued (ie Gregor the overlander, percy jackson and the doors within). I got super attached as a kid to those and wish they would delve into their adult life now.

message 29: by Nelson (last edited Jan 12, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

Nelson X | 3 comments The Giver did it for me, the way the first book just...well... ENDED... just like that "poof", cut like an action movie at its climax. Whats worse is the bookshop hasn't stoked the rest of the series yet, not in a whole 9 months, hope they still tell the same story.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer R. | 26 comments All The Bright Places anyone? Yeaaah . . . That wasn't a good time.

message 31: by Klancy (new)

Klancy Right now I'm trying to avoid the end of the book I'm reading The Crown. I'm probably 15 pages away from the end and I'm already depressed! I'm just going to be a blubbering mess when I do finish it, I guess.

message 32: by Peyton (new)

Peyton Goodbread | 1 comments I know I am late, but just finished The Darkest Minds series... I have gotten very close to ripping my hair out now that I know it is finally over. Normally I wouldn't be so hungover on a series like this, but the story was just so compelling and I felt close to all of the characters. Although I found myself hating how the story was progressing at times, I loved every minute of it. I don't think I have ever read a series as quickly as I did this one and I hope this dreadful feeling passes quickly.