The Page Turners discussion

Ranting and Raving About Books > Mispronunciation

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
Have you ever read a book with an unfamiliar name in it? And then realize that the name is pronounced completely differently than you had initially expected?

For example, I recently discovered that Jace is pronounced Jay-cee. I just can't take it. Jace will always be Jace to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience regarding the mispronunciation of names or places? Do you think that proper pronunciation is important in books?

message 2: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (gmargarita) Wait, what? I'm assuming you're referring to The Mortal Instruments? In the movie they definitely pronounced it "Jace".

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Yes, I was referring to Jace from The Mortal Instruments. One of my friends corrected me a few weeks ago on the pronunciation of his name. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm seeing it tonight.

message 4: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (gmargarita) Hmm... do you know where they're getting their information? Haha because I am almost completely positive it's Jace. Maybe they're confused because of his initials, "J.C."? And in regards to the topic, I used to always pronounce Hermione's name wrong when I was younger but then I watched the movies and was like "...oh"

message 5: by Olivia (new)

I just found this video which seems to clear it up. Turns out I was pronouncing it correctly initially...
http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post...

And I used to mispronounce Hermione's name as well!

message 6: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (gmargarita) Well, now you know there's no reason to be in denial anymore! Haha. I think I'd be pretty upset too if his name was actually "Jay-cee"... That's just odd.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

It sounds so unnatural!

message 8: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 517 comments Mod
The way I figure it is if you are reading by yourself then you can pronounce a name or a word any way you please

message 9: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy From the 39 Clues series. The Cahill family. I always thought it was pronounced Ka-hill. But then I heard it on the website and it was pronounced Kay-hill. I'll still probably always pronounce it my way... although I always did feel kind of awkward saying it like that. But still, Kay-hill sounds awkwarder to me.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments I always pronounced Kreacher like creature. And even when I read the books now that's how I pronounce his name in my head. The other way just sounds wrong o.O

message 11: by Olivia (new)

I pronounce his name the same way. Also, when I was little, I couldn't pronounce Harry's name correctly, so I went around calling him "Hairy."

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments Lol well that's basically the same thing :P

message 13: by Olivia (new)

My parents, for whatever reason, found it hilarious.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments I used to call elephants elie-fa-nanents. My parents found that pretty funny too. Oh and cows were moo-cows.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Haha. I used to call milk "milt" and dogs "dougies"

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments My sister could make the S sound so I was "Hammy" for the first few years of her life.

message 17: by Olivia (new)

At least the name hasn't stuck!

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments Very true!! That just makes me think of the hyperactive squirrel in over the hedge. Which in all honesty I could probably be compared to, my boyfriend says I'm so wired half the time they could make crack from my blood :P

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Haha my friends are ready to run and hide when they see me with a cup of coffee. I'm practically bouncing off the walls until the caffeine wears off, as I'm sure Kathy could attest to.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments I don't even need coffee lol. Caffeine just doesn't seem to affect me. I think it might have something to do with the fact that my body seems to produce it's own source of caffeine. Lol

message 21: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) This happens to me all the time so now if I'm not sure about a name I try using Google translate to help me.

message 22: by Neha (new)

Neha (nehalicious69) | 4 comments Whe I used to read Twilight I never knew how to say Carlisle. I used to say Car-lis-lee. It took me all 4 books to know how to say it