A History of Royals discussion

Royalty Books and Series > Has anyone read Dan Jones' The Plantagenets?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (last edited Aug 23, 2013 04:55PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
I finally got my reviews up for The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England by Dan Jones. An amazing non-fiction History book on the first half of the Plantagenet Dynasty in England. This book reads more like a good novel than and History book, although it is full of facts and dates. Even though I received a free copy for review, I went out and spent $25.00 for a hardback copy to keep. That's how much I liked this one. 5 stars from me on this one and I hope he was serious when he said he would write a second to finish their history

message 2: by Kit (last edited Sep 08, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

Kit Just started it; I'm about fifty something pages in-Its excellent so far! And this is only part of the history-there is a sequel?

message 3: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 24 comments I started it a while ago then kind of lost track...I agree with Kit, it is excellent. I actually skipped ahead to King Edward. I had just finished The Traitor's Wife: A Novel of the Reign of Edward II and it was fun to contrast Dan Jones' research with Susan Higginbotham's imagination...

message 4: by Kit (new)

Kit Wow! Thanks for the hint to read Traitor's Wife!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) The Hollow Crown: The War of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones is due to be published in Autumn 2014 and in available now for pre-order on Amazon (UK). Really enjoyed The Plantagenets and used it as a background resource for further research. Will definitely purchase Hollow Crown!

message 6: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 1 comments The book is great, one of the best books I've read. Highlt recommend it to anyone. Dan Jones is a great historian. I love how he didn't pull back and put the black and white aspects of everyone, monarch, courtiers and rebel and dispelled many myths.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) I bought it a while ago and just haven't had the time to read anything in weeks...But I'm glad it was at least a good buy for when I do finally get a chance to read it.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanroberts2012) I have just ordered a copy. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Yay!