The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

How did you want Augustus and Hazel's love story should have ended? Tell me your ending and why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Camiawrites I would have liked to see them both live because I just prefer happy endings but then the title of the book would have to change. Plus the book would not have been as memorable. I actually expected Hazel to die but I just wanted him to live. At least a little longer. Give their love a little more time.

Paula I would have preferred if Hazel died instead of Gus. It made more sense since she was so much sicker. I understand, however, that having Hazel die first would have been too predictable.

Camiawrites I agree. She did seem much more sick than him but would you feel the loss as much if it were her? She seemed to be dying throughout the book, it just wouldn't have surprised us if she had. That's just what I think but I still agree with you. Augustus' death really touched and hurt me. I almost want to name my kid Augustus so he'll live on.

Neha i think both gus and hazel should have died
one cant live without the other
the perfect tragic but good ending

Camiawrites Pampam wrote: "i think both gus and hazel should have died
the perfect tragic but good ending"

awwwww

Iris I think that they should have split up before his death. You know, get into a fight and break up like healthy immature teen-aged couples do, to show that even though they are terminally ill they aren't above the stupid thinking that kids reason as logic. I don't like the idea that because they were fatally ill they were morally and spiritually adept at life, because I think it's insulting. Then when she learns about his death she can be filled with guilt and regret and that author dude can tell her it wasn't her fault and teach her to move on and stuff. I personally thought the ending was a bit predictable and boring and I was disappointed with it.

Karina It pains me to say it, I liked it the way it was. I don't want anymore because it would physically hurt me. I don't want to read more because it hurts me that Gus is not there anymore.

message 8: by Ve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ve Ro Like Camia said,I wanted Augustus to live a little longer so they could be happy for a while..it really broke my heart when i read that Gus died.

message 9: by Camiawrites (last edited Sep 14, 2013 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Camiawrites Karina, ve, thank you. I agree. I seriously could not bare Augustus' death. Just that but his decline in health. Unfortunately Iris I cannot agree. Death has a way of making you see things that life sometimes shadows from you. My grandmother died of cancer three years ago almost to this day and her dying made me more mature and immature at the same time. I did not care for their direct view of death but that is what happens. Especially when you know death is coming. I knew she was going to leave and thus, for a moment, death and I had an understanding like most people do not. I really could not see Augustus and Hazel acting any different. I think in the end, this book has really touched our souls. It did mine at least.

Camiawrites Also I think you should check out the song "I will follow you into the dark" by Death Cab for Cutie. I have been thinking about death recently and this song is what plays in the background I guess. Just wanted to share. Try to read this while listening to the song. It will touch you so much more.

message 11: by Mairead (last edited Sep 15, 2013 03:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mairead I loved the ending but wouldn't it have been cute if Hazel dies near the end and then Augustus dies shortly after hearing about Hazel. You could say he didn't die of cancer but of a broken heart. And neither one of them would have to go to the others funeral because I think that was something neither of them wanted to do. to go to the others funeral.

krisusnoona i don't know or i guess i dont want it to end no one dies or leaves, somehow , i like it be hanging there like .. they fight and go through struggles and their sickness together .. leave it like that .. the two of them fighting for their lives together , keep the readers dreaming , hahah

xoxo

Hannah to be honest I actually thought it would end like the titanic. they both die then see each other in heaven. ya. it was a random thought.

message 14: by R (new) - rated it 5 stars

R I think the actual ending was the best ending. However, if I really could have it my way, someone (and because this is a perfect universe in my head, this someone would've been Lidewij Vliegenthart who was doing a science major on the side or whatever) would find the cure to all cancers and they'd live happily ever after, together.

message 15: by JOIE (new) - rated it 5 stars

JOIE Augustus is my favorite character in this book so I'm seriously sad that he died, but I think John Green ended this story perfectly! The whole book I was thinking Hazel would get sicker and he would be by her side when she died, so when we found out that HE was going to be the one to die first it made it more tragic,for me, which probably made me love this book even more!!

Camiawrites Mairead wrote: "I loved the ending but wouldn't it have been cute if Hazel dies near the end and then Augustus dies shortly after hearing about Hazel. You could say he didn't die of cancer but of a broken heart. A..."

Awww. That would have been sweet.

Mairead Camia wrote: "Mairead wrote: "I loved the ending but wouldn't it have been cute if Hazel dies near the end and then Augustus dies shortly after hearing about Hazel. You could say he didn't die of cancer but of a..."

I think "I will follow you into the dark" is a perfect song to have playing in the background while reading it.

Julia Pampam wrote: "i think both gus and hazel should have died
the perfect tragic but good ending"

It wouldn't be that tragic I mean, they would die together, so no one would have to face the death of the other, no one would have to face the world without the other one. It wouldn't be that sad.

Camiawrites Mairead wrote: "Camia wrote: "Mairead wrote: "I loved the ending but wouldn't it have been cute if Hazel dies near the end and then Augustus dies shortly after hearing about Hazel. You could say he didn't die of c..."

Thank you. I swear I cry everytime I hear the song now because I think of Augustus and Hazel

Anette Maybe it's just me but I sort of expected Green to finish the book off the same way as Van Houten (the ending of his book was brought up so often) so that Hazel's thoughts would have been mid-sentence.

Jazzy-may When I first started reading the book I was feeling a little noisey so i looked at the last words of the book ' I do augustus I do' and I actually thought they where going to get married . It didn't turn out that way of course. The ending was sad but I thought It was a good way to end it. However who wouldn't have liked them to have gotten married. :( this will teach me never again to read the last words.
J XXX

Eshana I would have liked it if the book was a little bit longer so then they can both. be alive longer and that Gus would have died later on and that hazel died b4 gus

message 23: by Pandoris (last edited Oct 13, 2013 10:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pandoris Offilia I can't really think of a much better way of ending the story than how John Green did it. I'd came up with tons of different scenarios of my own version of ending it but I couldn't find a much more profound and funny (because he'd already revealed to us how the story would end from the beginning of the book through An Imperial Affliction and not see it coming.) way and the ending itself speaks a lot about how Gus and Just Hazel feels toward each other. :)

Jadekat I knew it was going to end badly but i didn't expect it to be Gus. I wanted them both to live.

Sigrid I wanted both if them to live of course but I feel as though if Gus lived or Hazel lived that would have been too predictable. No I think a better term for it is too fairy-tale endingish and that's not what cancer is like in the real world, I think. And for them both to live would have just made it less not less up enjoyable to read but it would have made us fall in love with the story as much.

Marci Sigrid wrote: "I wanted both if them to live of course but I feel as though if Gus lived or Hazel lived that would have been too predictable. No I think a better term for it is too fairy-tale endingish and that's..."

I agree wholeheartedly. The ending does have purpose, but I would have liked them to have a bit more time together after their trip before Gus's decline.

message 27: by Sigrid (last edited Oct 15, 2013 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sigrid Marci wrote: "Sigrid wrote: "I wanted both if them to live of course but I feel as though if Gus lived or Hazel lived that would have been too predictable. No I think a better term for it is too fairy-tale endin..."

Thanks I do agree that they should have had more time before he got sick. I'm deciphering wether or not to agree with people who say there should be a second book. On the yes side I think it would be nice for John Green to tells us what became if Hazel and Issac. But, on the no side I think that it's nice to leave us wondering to give our imagination something to think about for a while. What do you think?

Marci Sigrid wrote: "Marci wrote: "Sigrid wrote: "I wanted both if them to live of course but I feel as though if Gus lived or Hazel lived that would have been too predictable. No I think a better term for it is too fa..."

I think half the fun of reading is wondering what happens when the book ends. There's such a thing as too much literary closure.

Sigrid Marci wrote: "Sigrid wrote: "Marci wrote: "Sigrid wrote: "I wanted both if them to live of course but I feel as though if Gus lived or Hazel lived that would have been too predictable. No I think a better term f..."

I think the same thing about many books like Divergent I feel like the second book I'd going to close up things for us but the third I feel personally will be over doing it a bit. I also want to ask any books do you have to recommend for me like this beautiful piece of literature?

Valeria I wouldn't change anything, i think later, Peter Van Houten wrote a new book about a love story, but a sad love story, and he dedicated it to Agustus and Hazel, the book became a bestseller and he made Agustus's dream of leaving a mark in the world true

Sigrid Valeria wrote: "I wouldn't change anything, i think later, Peter Van Houten wrote a new book about a love story, but a sad love story, and he dedicated it to Agustus and Hazel, the book became a bestseller and he ..."

I kind of agree I think that John Green shouldn't write a second book because it leaves our mind to wonder what could have happened.

rsano My EXPECTED ending:
Gus wrote a sequel and Peter van Houten publish it then Hazel will receive a copy. I also thought Gus was the one talking behind her in his funeral. -_-

OR

Just like AIA, it will end in the middle of a...

================================
I wouldn't change a thing. Yes, it's sad and we're not used to that kind of ending but that what captures our heart.

Jeremy Spradlin I think the ending was perfect. I don't think Gus dying was predictable, nor would the death of Hazel be. Illness is unpredictable. They both could have lived, both could have died, Hazel first, etc. The tragedy of Gus dying first just showed that all you can do is hold onto the days you have.

The relationship between Gus and Hazel was beautiful and energetic. I think as much as it hurt Hazel that Gus died, she was happy to have the time that she had.

message 34: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana I think like someone said before this post maybe at least let them live a little more experiences together. Although , Gus was my favorite character , Hazel's downfall would have been too predictable and if both of them lived , the book wouldn't have ended the same way. I loved the book pretty much as it was , and wouldn't change it at all.

Crazy4more Agree, I would have liked them experienced and lived in their perfect love story a little longer. To show how they fought cancer together, made memories among their loved ones, etc. Gus started AIA and got the author back on his feet to finish the sequel...leaving scares behind as he would have put it. Hazel's mom got her degrees. Gus would still died. After finding his missing pages, Hazel died too. But before she died, she got to see Gus standing by, healed, happy and waiting. She related her vision to both families so they all can have their closures that their kids would be in better place...healed, happy, loved and together...

At least...I would do anything to have that closure if it was my child.

message 36: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina I liked the ending to the book...... im just happy issac lived! I mean I loved Gus, but it just seemed right that he died. I don't know why, but it does.

Deanna As sad as the ending was, (I cried for two days afterwards) I think it was perfect! That story touched me in a way no book ever has and I wouldn't change a thing about it:)

Pandoris Offilia Valeria wrote: "I wouldn't change anything, i think later, Peter Van Houten wrote a new book about a love story, but a sad love story, and he dedicated it to Agustus and Hazel, the book became a bestseller and he ..."

that would have been nice. Although, while reading the story, I also feel like John Green depicted himself as Peter Van Houten in the story. I dont know.... :)

message 39: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva hazel will die one day, because she is very sick but i think green didn't want to make the book more tragic that it really is

aby ♡ I think that it would be nice if their love story was given a bit more time just like what Augustus wants. But, the story was so wonderfully made. I mean, you can't get enough of it. <3

Emily Grace I really wish Hazel was there when Augustus died! I think it would have been really sweet if she was the last person he saw! However I do think the book was just breath-taking and definitely one of the best pieces of writing I have ever read. John Green...I salute you sir.

kin-kin nguyen. I can't handle the book, let alone question it.

kin-kin nguyen. Mina wrote: "I liked the ending to the book...... im just happy issac lived! I mean I loved Gus, but it just seemed right that he died. I don't know why, but it does."Same! I was so happy that Isaac was still good, he was probably my favorite character in the book.

message 44: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel Anette wrote: "Maybe it's just me but I sort of expected Green to finish the book off the same way as Van Houten (the ending of his book was brought up so often) so that Hazel's thoughts would have been mid-sente..."

I was expecting this too! Towards the end of the book, I was worried that Hazel would just die in the middle of reading the letter. Mid-sentence.

Fiona Curtis I like to think that Hazel died soon after the book ended, because I can't picture Hazel moving on and getting better, I feel like she would have lost the will to live without Gus D':

message 46: by Izzy (last edited Oct 20, 2013 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy Anette wrote: "Maybe it's just me but I sort of expected Green to finish the book off the same way as Van Houten (the ending of his book was brought up so often) so that Hazel's thoughts would have been mid-sente..."

It's a common literary technique called foreshadowing. It's where the author uses a sub-plot or imagery that hints at something that will come later in the novel.

message 47: by Nupur (last edited Feb 19, 2014 08:04AM) (new)

Nupur Shah I am just so mawkishly excited to having had only so much of a go at the reading of the book .
I haven't yet ! .I have become speechless when ever I have become privy to the goings on .Thank you all for your appraisals and perception .It is kinda high time they 'd become self evident . Jesus bless Gus' soul .Amen !

Raynebow Personally, I think he should have been better in the end. He still should have died I think, that important to the story, but he should have been a more pleasent person. I know he had cancer but he was so worried about leaving somthing behind, he should have been able to do somthing noble, to die happily AND hazel should have been able to see him one last time in the hospital before it happened.

Madeline Esp I think them getting married a Walk To Remeber style would have been cut so they both would have had the experience before their death. I think Augustus dying first was good because it added lots of plot but at the same time I wish he never died and lived forever. I think the foreshadowing with Caroline dying of cancer on Augustus, Augustus dying on Hazel, maybe Hazel should have fallen in love with someone else before she died? That would have been wicked cool. I also wish Isaac had found a new girlfriend so that when Hazel died he wouldn't be alone.

Chloe Fray Madeline wrote: "I think them getting married a Walk To Remeber style would have been cut so they both would have had the experience before their death. I think Augustus dying first was good because it added lots ..."
I agree. Isaac should have a new girlfriend! Maybe Hazel could go out with Isaac after Gus dies???? That would be great!

« previous 1