Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Nyrae Dawn
This topic is about Nyrae Dawn
ARCHIVES > Meet Nyrae Dawn (September 7, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Nyrae Dawn will be answering questions in this thread on Saturday, September 7th (until further notice).

If you have any questions for Ms. Dawn, or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Dominguez (violetthevanisher) | 22 comments Awesome I'm so excited :)

message 3: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Looking forward to it!

message 4: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Nyrae wrote: "Looking forward to it!"

I will be making my list of questions for you soon! :D I am a moderator of this group alongside of Gisbelle! :D

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith Dominguez (violetthevanisher) | 22 comments oh my gosh I think I'm going to faint lol I love your work and hope to be a successful. author as well: D

message 6: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments First off, I wanted to just say:

Hi, Nyrae Dawn!

Thank you so much for stopping by our group to answer our questions. I am a HUGE fan of yours, having read all your books out to-date, and I never miss a chance to squeal over a new book and quickly buy it to read with my friend here in this group.

I just have a few questions that I hope you won't mind answering.

1. I've loved all your books. Honestly, all of them. Your characters and their voice and personalities are all so real.
but I'm curious to know,

who has been your favorite character to write?

2. and which of your stories has been your favorite?

3. And for totally selfish reasons, I wanted to ask if What a Boy Wants series is done? Is there any hope for another book? I love Sebastian and just wanted to double check if this band of friends' stories are done or if I can hope for another.

Thank you again for stopping by. I never thought I'd get to ask you questions and I think it's just incredible that you are taking the time with us!

message 7: by Becky (last edited Aug 26, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Nyrae, Thank You for agreeing to visit our wonderful group! You are a VERY popular author with our members and I can't wait to see the answers to all the questions they come up with.

I would like to know:

1) How did you get into writing?

2) Where do you draw your ideas from?

3) Do you have new series ideas in mind for the future?

4) I would love to know YOUR favorite author's and book series, assuming you have time to read!

Thanks again!

message 8: by Mandiann (last edited Sep 06, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments Nyrae, Thank you for visiting us!!

I have not read any of your books. Please let me know which one you would suggest I read first.

Which book did you enjoy writing the most?

Which characters do you feel you can relate to most?

How much input do you get in choosing the covers for your books? Which cover do you like the best?

Thanks again for visiting our group!

message 9: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Hello Nyrae Dawn and thank you so much for coming to our group!

I have a few questions for you that I hope you won't mind answering!

1. When did you start writing? And how did you get into writing?

2. Are some of your characters based off of people you know in real life?

Thanks again, Nyrae! :D

message 10: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn | 2085 comments Hi Nyrae,
Thank you for vising our group!
I haven't read any of your books, but I'm planning on reading What a Boy Wants here soon.
I have a couple questions for you.
1) About how long does it take you to write a book? From the initial idea until it is done?
2) How do you decide what to name a character and where the story takes place?
3) What was your favorite book to write and why?
Thank you!!

message 11: by Faith (last edited Aug 31, 2013 06:49PM) (new)

Faith Dominguez (violetthevanisher) | 22 comments Hello
Hello Nyrae it's a pleasure to have you here and to ask some questions it's such a honor to do so.
1-Have you ever gotten stuck in your writing. To where there has been so much that has happened in life and so much goes on does it affect your writing, and take long to write?
2- What does one do when she or he doesn't have people that they love aren't really open to those who want to become a writer. How does one carry on?
3 when you write your stories do you ever got over whelm with emotions that your writ for the characters?
4- when you write a guy or a girl character, how do you get into the guy or girls minds?
5- Has there been a Sereies or just a book or even a movie, that has got you inspired to write a certain books?
6- If you could write with any another Author who would it be and why?"

message 12: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Hello Nyrae!!

Thanks for taking time to answer the questions in our group. I love reading your books and can hardly wait to read Masquerade.

My questions are:

1. If I'm not wrong, so far you have written only one fantasy Karma Bites. Is there a reason why you don't write any more fantasy, but contemporary?

2. I love your collaboration with Jolene Perry too, especially Dizzy. When I read this book, I had a feeling that you wrote one POV and Jolene wrote another one. I wonder if it's true.

3. I love friend-to-lover romance, just like the one in What a Boy Wants. Do you have any plan to write any more books with this type of romance? Please say yes :D

4. What is your favorite type of romance book?

Thanks for spending your Saturday with us.

message 13: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Hey everyone! Sorry I'm just making it. Wanted to stop by and say hi and now I'm going to scroll through and start asking questions. Thanks for having me here today!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Nyrae wrote: "Hey everyone! Sorry I'm just making it. Wanted to stop by and say hi and now I'm going to scroll through and start asking questions. Thanks for having me here today!"

No pressure hon. We know you are busy! :-)

message 15: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Hello Nyrae!

No need to be sorry! Thanks again!

message 16: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Trisha,
Hey! Thanks so much! I'm so glad you've enjoyed my books. That means a lot to me.

1. I've loved all your books. Honestly, all of them. Your characters and their voice and personalities are all so real.
but I'm curious to know,

who has been your favorite character to write? This is so hard because I love them all for different reasons. I love Sebastian for his humor and Jaden for his need to be loved. I loved writing Carter because he's just such a GOOD person. Annabel because I relate to her and think many girls can. Bishop because he's so flawed and I love writing flawed characters. I loved writing Colt because he's so real and honest, Chey for her strength, Delaney because she has such a big heart and Adrian because he's so very broken. It's hard to say who I loved writing more because I feel like they're all different.

2. and which of your stories has been your favorite?
This is another hard one that I can't give a real answer for. FACADE challenged me as a writer in ways no other story has. It broke my heart more than any other book. I had so much fun writing OUT OF PLAY because Jolene and I seriously laughed through half the book!

3. And for totally selfish reasons, I wanted to ask if What a Boy Wants series is done? Is there any hope for another book? I love Sebastian and just wanted to double check if this band of friends' stories are done or if I can hope for another.

I would like to write a novella for the group. Because of contractual reasons I'm not 100% sure if I will be able to. I already know the title and what will happen. Fingers crossed I will be able to write it soon. I'll be sure to share as soon as I know anything.

Thank you again for stopping by. I never thought I'd get to ask you questions and I think it's just incredible that you are taking the time with us!

Thank you! I'm honored to be here. I really appreciate you guys asking me!

message 17: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Becky (Indiana) wrote: "Nyrae, Thank You for agreeing to visit our wonderful group! You are a VERY popular author with our members and I can't wait to see the answers to all the questions they come up with.

I would like..."

Thanks so much, Becky! I'm honored you guys like my books so much!

1) How did you get into writing? I've always loved writing. I won an essay contest... second grade I believe. As I got older I switched to poems due to teenage broken hearts. LOL. I stopped writing for a while, working full time and everything. When I became a stay at home mom for the first time, I started reading obsessively again. I was in a new state, going from a small town where I knew everyone to a big city where I knew no one. Characters became my friends for a while. My husband was working long hours. It didn't take long before I started writing again. I wanted to try and give readers the same feeling I got while writing.

2) Where do you draw your ideas from?

Anything and everything! It's different for each book! I've gotten ideas from dreams or someone walking down the street. You just never know when an idea will hit you!

3) Do you have new series ideas in mind for the future?

I do. I submitted an idea to my editor for a possible new NA series. We'll see what happens with that. I also have an idea for another YA I want to write. Not sure if that will go through a publisher or be self published though. I will say it's all boy POV and going back to my roots a bit :)

4) I would love to know YOUR favorite author's and book series, assuming you have time to read!

I love Wendy Higgins Sweet series. Sweet Evil is one of my all time favorite books. I also love Sarah Ockler, IF I STAY and especially WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Foreman. One of my favorite series is the summer series by Jenny Han. If you like male POV YA I love FREE FALL by Mindi Scott. I also love Mortal Instruments series.

For the adults and adult books, I love JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series, The Outlander (no one loves like Jamie!), Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series has my favorite vampire, Bones in it.

message 18: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Mandiann wrote: "Nyrae, Thank you for visiting us!!

I have not read any of your books. Please let me know which one you would suggest I read first.

Hi. That's a hard question because it depends on what you like. For NA and books that make you cry and laugh, The Games series is good. CHARADE is book one followed by FACADE. If you like younger, funny stuff I would try WHAT A BOY WANTS. FOUR SUMMERS was my attempt at epic romance. I wanted to write a real love story that grew over time and didn't happen over night.

Which book did you enjoy writing the most?
That goes back to the first questions I was asked. It's so hard to say. I love them all for different reasons.

Which characters ..."

Thanks so much for the questions!

message 19: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Hello Nyrae Dawn and thank you so much for coming to our group! "

Hi!

1. When did you start writing? And how did you get into writing?
Writing has always been a part of my life, sometimes more than others. It wasn't until I became a stay at home mom that I really got into doing it consistently. Now I can hardly go a day without writing.

2. Are some of your characters based off of people you know in real life?
Want to hear a funny story? Jolene Perry and I wrote Dizzy. I wrote Dylan so I ended up writing Paul too. It wasn't until I finished writing the book that I realized Paul was exactly like a guy I went to high school with. He was one of my closest friends... and his name was Paul too. I didn't do it on purpose but I named my character Paul and then sort of morphed him into the real Paul without realizing it. LOL.

Sometimes I take sweet or silly things my husband has done and use them too. The scene in WHAT A BOY NEEDS where the guys keep opening the trunk when the girls close it is something my husband did to me!

message 20: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Hi, Ashlyn. I hope you enjoy WHAT A BOY WANTS.

1) About how long does it take you to write a book? From the initial idea until it is done? It's different for each book. SEARCHING FOR BEAUTIFUL which is out next year from Entangled publishing took me like a year of writing off and on to finish it. It's pretty different than my usual stuff so it was harder for me but a story I was determined to finish. I just finished writing RUSH, which comes out next year and I wrote the first draft in three weeks because it flowed so well. I'm typically a fast writer and can finish a first draft in about 6 weeks. But then comes the editing after that!

2) How do you decide what to name a character and where the story takes place? Most of the time names come easy to me. I love naming characters and usually something just pops into my head and it's just RIGHT. Sebastian and Jaden were that way. Others I put more thought into to find the perfect name. In FOUR SUMMERS, Nate was the third name that he went through. First he was Logan, then Eli, and finally Nathaniel.

I like to place most of my books in fictional towns so then I can kind of create my own world for them.

3) What was your favorite book to write and why?
Each book is different and I love each one for different reasons. It's so hard to choose.

message 21: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Hi, Violet! I'm honored to be here! I love your name!
1-Have you ever gotten stuck in your writing. To where there has been so much that has happened in and so much goes on does it affect your writing, and take long to write? Yep. That's what happened with SEARCHING FOR BEAUTIFUL. I got the premise idea and loved it. Wrote a bit and got stuck. I put it away for a while, picked it up again. I did that off and on until I finished. Typically, I'm pretty good at writing even when I'm going through stuff in life. Writing is my release and a way to relax. I get stressed if I'm not writing.

2- What does one do when she or he doesn't have people that they love aren't really open to those who want to become a writer. How does one carry on?

That's a really hard question and a personal one. Everyone had to do what they think is right. If it's your passion you keep going no matter what. I know when I first started writing, my family just considered it a "silly hobby". No one ever really thought it could be my career but I kept doing it for me. It was hard at times but I also found friends online who I chatted with about writing. Talking with other writers helps.

3 when you write your stories do you ever got over whelm with emotions that your writ for the characters?

Absolutely. Writing FACADE broke my in many ways. I've never cried like I have when I wrote that book. It's a really emotional one for me but that makes it special for me too.

4- when you write a guy or a girl character, how do you get into the guy or girls minds?

It's so different with each character. It's hard to explain how I do it. I consider myself a character writer though. I know my characters and plot them so well that they almost become a part of me... it becomes easy to slip into their head because I know them so well.

5- Has there been a Sereies or just a book or even a movie, that has got you inspired to write a certain books?

Yes. Even though they are 100% different stories, THE OUTLANDER inspired me to write FOUR SUMMERS. I believe there are very few epic romances out there and THE OUTLANDER is one. I wanted to try and write an epic romance.

6- If you could write with any another Author who would it be and why?"
Wow. That is tough! Sarah Ockler, Jenny Han or Gayle Foreman would definitely be on my list. They are all what I call my "words heroes". I'm a fan of language and beautiful writing and those women do it so well!

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Nyrae, Thank You SO much for taking your time out to answer all of our questions. I can't tell you how much it means to me as a reader to get to "talk" with an author!

We have very similar reading tastes and that just makes me happy for some dumb reason! I'll look forward to your future series! I love male POV books. I've said before I think I secretly hope they'll help me understand males better!

Doing a buddy read with friends from this board on What a Boy Wants next week. I can't wait!

Keep on doing what you do, and please feel free to visit our board if you ever have time. You sure are a favorite around here!

message 23: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Gisbelle,
Hey! Thanks for having me.

1. If I'm not wrong, so far you have written only one fantasy Karma Bites. Is there a reason why you don't write any more fantasy, but contemporary?

I'm a contemporary girl at heart. It's what comes natural for me. Karma Bites was a challenge and I loved it but I'm not sure I'm very good at world building and all the paranormal stuff. I love reading it though. I do have one book on my computer that's partially finished. It's a paranormal YA that I LOVE the premise for. I hope to finish it one day. I want to be sure I can do the story justice though.

2. I love your collaboration with Jolene Perry too, especially Dizzy. When I read this book, I had a feeling that you wrote one POV and Jolene wrote another one. I wonder if it's true.

Yep! I wrote Dylan and she wrote Ziah. Jolene and I have so much fun writing together. I laugh so hard when we write books with each other. I love making my character play off of something her character does.

3. I love friend-to-lover romance, just like the one in What a Boy Wants. Do you have any plan to write any more books with this type of romance? Please say yes :D

I hope so! Friends to lover is one of my favorite tropes! My husband and I were really good friends before we fell in love!

4. What is your favorite type of romance book?
I love so many. If we're going with tropes, like I said above, I love friends to lover. I love contemporary or paranormal. Anything that touches me in the heart, I love!

message 24: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments I'll pop back in later to check in. I'll also hang around tomorrow since I missed most of the day today. If anyone else has more questions, feel free to ask!

message 25: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I love you so much, Nyrae! Thanks for taking time answering our questions.

message 26: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Wow! Thanks for answering all of our questions, Nyrae! You are amazing!

message 27: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Becky (Indiana) wrote: "Nyrae, Thank You SO much for taking your time out to answer all of our questions. I can't tell you how much it means to me as a reader to get to "talk" with an author!

We have very similar readin..."

Becky,
Thanks! So glad people on this board have enjoyed my books and hope you enjoy Sebastian and the gang.

Yeah... boys are hard to understand. I was the "friend" in high school and hung out with a lot of guys. Since I was just the friend, they were completely themselves around me and I go back to those boys I knew to write my boys now.

message 28: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I love you so much, Nyrae! Thanks for taking time answering our questions."

Aww, thank you <3 I'll answer questions anytime! I feel lucky you guys are curious about me and my writing process!

message 29: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Wow! Thanks for answering all of our questions, Nyrae! You are amazing!"

No problem! Thanks! Hope you guys have enjoyed it.

message 30: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments We have to wait till January 2014 to read Masquerade (Games, #3) by Nyrae Dawn !!! What a torture!

message 31: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Gisbelle wrote: "We have to wait till January 2014 to read Masquerade (Games, #3) by Nyrae Dawn!!! What a torture!"

I know! It's hard for me too! LOL

message 32: by Faith (new)

Faith Dominguez (violetthevanisher) | 22 comments Thank you so much Nyrae for answering my question I'm very honored to be speaking to you, your also another reason why I want to write. But I'm still getting back into my writing and hope it does become successful like yours. And thanks violet has always been a nickname of mine :)

message 33: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn (nyraedawn) | 15 comments Violet the Vanisher wrote: "Thank you so much Nyrae for answering my question I'm very honored to be speaking to you, your also another reason why I want to write. But I'm still getting back into my writing and hope it does b..."

Thanks! I'm always happy to chat. Good luck with your writing.

message 34: by Faith (new)

Faith Dominguez (violetthevanisher) | 22 comments Thanks so much I'm happy to be able to talk to amazing author such as your self you and Quinn Loft has helped me so much and has incourage my writing and that does mean so much to me thank you again :)
My God Keep blessing you and your family and your writing :)

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (justjenna) | 1 comments Ashlyn wrote: "Hi Nyrae,
Thank you for vising our group!
I haven't read any of your books, but I'm planning on reading What a Boy Wants here soon.
I have a couple questions for you.
1) About how long does it ta..."

Oooh nice specific questions. Love them!