DC Comics Fans discussion

Movies > Ben Affleck as Batman?!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annice22 (last edited Aug 23, 2013 04:28PM) (new)

Annice22 | 219 comments Mod
There's been a lot of talk about this.

What do you guys think? Affleck good or bad choice?

It's definitely a different choice. Even the Nolan Batman movies cast a lot of different actors/actresses for roles that seemed a bit Hollywood, some worked while others didn't. Affleck is not someone I would have picked but since I don't plan on seeing the sequel, I guess it doesn't really bother me as much as it does others.

message 2: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (bibliokyle) Behind the mask it will probably be a stunt double for 90% of the scenes.... it's Affleck as Bruce Wayne that I have a hard time imagining.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Bad choice, but I'm so underwelmed by the DC movies, that I can't work up the interest or energy to be upset.

message 4: by Herman (new)

Herman (hermgerm) If it was Jennifer Garner as Wonder Woman, I would have been happy. But her husband cast as Batman is just sad. As a director he's great, but as an actor? Not so much. Plus, Superman's sequel should be about Supeman. So no matter who they got to play Batman I would have avoided the movie anyway. How can Batman appear in someone else's movie and not be the main character? They should just make a Man of Steel II and a movie called World's Finest or something.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 130 comments Here's an article on Batman:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainm...

Nostalgia for Adam West, who would have thought it? I don't think Affleck has the chops for this.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 64 comments The problem isn't Affleck. He's a perfectly acceptable choice. Maybe not particularly inspired, but not the armageddon the twitterverse has made it out to be.

The problem is Snyder, Goyer, to a lesser extent Nolan, and to a large extent WB. After decades of inactivity, and finally catching lightning with Nolan's Batman reboot trilogy, they expect to put out DC movies and have them be Avengers-size hits.

What DC is ignoring is that in addition to the specific 5-movie build-up Avengers had, you had a decade of Marvel licensed characters helping prime the pump for this perfect storm. Blade, the X-Men trilogy, FF (as bad as it was), Spider-man---all paved the way and whetted the appetite of the audience for this type of movie.

What has WB given us? Over a decade of development hell on Superman that resulted in the lackluster Superman Returns. A movie so lacking that, even though it made money, the studio felt it had to reboot it. Nolan's Bat-verse trilogy, which while successful financially and artistically, was adamantly not a shared, superhero full universe to build on. In other words, a dead-end.

Green Lantern. A movie with such potential, but so obviously hampered by studio meddling and the wrong expectations. (You gotta make it kid friendly to sell toys! Ya gotta have a love interest or women won't come. You have Ryan Reynolds, who has dramatic range, but he was Van Wilder, so make it funny. Fear? A fear fart cloud is the villain? That's too high concept. You need at least one villain the audience can relate to, so jam in a second one, even if that's too much plot and too many characters to juggle in one film. It's a space epic, but we can't spend all the money, so keep the effects shots to a minimum. Oh, did we mention, toys?!)

WB just seems to rely too much on the marketing plan and what focus groups tell them. They need to worry first about creating a good movie and then about how to sell it (and all the related merchandise).

In the grand scheme of things, I think Affleck can only work with what he is given. If given a good script and a good environment to work in, he will give us Argo or Hollywoodland. If given a crap script and a director more concerned about spectacle, he will give us Pearl Harbor.

So if MoS 2 (or Batman vs. Superman, or World's Finest or whatever they end up calling it) turns out horrible, don't place all the blame on Ben. Look to Snyder and Goyer and WB for failing in their jobs as well.

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Brenda wrote: "Here's an article on Batman:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainm...

Nostalgia for Adam West, who would have thought it? I don't think Affleck has..."

I always liked Adam West as he played Batman so straight and it was the world around him that was goofy.
That and every story got told in two episodes, while in the comic it takes a freakin year to retell the origin.

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Robert wrote: "The problem isn't Affleck. He's a perfectly acceptable choice. Maybe not particularly inspired, but not the armageddon the twitterverse has made it out to be.

The problem is Snyder, Goyer, to a le..."

Oh don't worry, I have more than enough blame in my heart for everyone involved.
I'm not singling out Ben, just adding him to the long list.

Daredevil was a perfect storm of bad casting, bad writing and bad direction and I believe DC is on track to capture that particular kind of horrible lightening in a bottle again.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

message 10: by Christian (new)

Christian (christiansnow) | 4 comments I seem to be the only one that is actually excited to see Ben Affleck's portraying one of my greatest hero of all time. I don't mind Zack Snyder directing it, but the one thing I do mind is the screenplay; David Goyer can come up with a lot of good ideas, but once he writes his screenplay, they somehow turn out to be pretty bad. I'm just glad Chris Terrio came on to make some changes to the script as I do fully trust him since he is part of Ben Affleck's team from when he directed Argo. I'm optimistic about where this is going and just can't wait to see this film fully realized in 2016.

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Well, I saw the pictures of the Bat-suit and actually liked it.
So, I decided if they can get the Wonder Woman outfit right, then I would be willing to cut them some slack.

Then they released the WW picture...
I'm done with DC live action.

Luckily, netflix has the Justice League cartoons on instant.

message 12: by Annice22 (last edited Aug 01, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Annice22 | 219 comments Mod
I'm not a big fan of that Wonder Woman costume. It looks too much like Xena's outfit.

message 13: by John (new)

John Autero | 19 comments i thought the preview looked good. i liked those glowing eyes.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments So, what do people think of the Aquaman movie costume.
Not being a fan of the 90's gladiator outfit, this didn't wow me.

and I'm hoping the picture was just black and white to be dramatic, because I am getting very tired of the dark, colorless super hero costumes.

and just to be picky, but why does his trident have five points?

message 15: by Salvatore (new)

Salvatore | 2 comments I think Ben Affleck can pull off a Dark Knight Returns Batman but I'm not so sure about being in the Justice League.

I think the Aquaman costume is supposed to appeal more to people who think Aquaman is lame or he has no powers rather than to the die hard Aquaman fans like myself.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Yeah, they are going for a variation of the 90's 'badass' Aquaman.
Not a version I really ever liked, so I was a hard sell to begin with.

The lack of color and the whole 'Rob Zombie, Lord of Atlantis' look, while a step up from the brown Wonder Woman outfit, still means BvsS is a rental, rather than a go to the theater film.

message 17: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments So, against my better judgement, I watched the Batman vs Superman: friendship is magic trailer...

Could they make that any darker?
Not just the tone, but it was so darkly lit, I had trouble telling what was going on.
and that final 'You will." was supposed to sound badass, but came across as adolescent and clunky.

Oh well.

message 18: by inactive account (new)

inactive account (supernerdgavin) | 1 comments You guys realize Aquaman is awesome right?

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments TheGotenza(( Goten)) wrote: "You guys realize Aquaman is awesome right?"

He is, but I'm not a fan of the version of 90's shirtless Aquaman the movies are going with.
I'm old school.
Aquaman should be wearing an orange shirt.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason (nobody3010) | 48 comments I think Ben Affleck was a great Batman. I wish there was more action in the FILM. It was a two plus hours political squabble that felt more like a teaser trailer or the prequel material that USUALLY releases in comics.
I spent most of the film wishing it WAS a solo Batman movie, especially since the handling of Superman in the movie is shit. The last forty minutes are the best. Batman fights more like Batman than any other live action version. They were all necessarily STIFF in their movements and limited in fight capability due to the heavy armor. THIS looks like the Batman of the Arkham games, which is how Batman SHOULD look when he's fighting.

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 415 comments Liked Afleck as Batman.
Don't like the movie, but like the casting.
Thought the age/experience difference between the three heroes was interesting.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments I thought the movie had a terrific cast, and Ben Affleck was great as Batman. The problem was the film's story and tone. It was too dark and the viewer leaves the theater very depressed.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (nobody3010) | 48 comments They don't call Batman "The Dark Knight" for nothing.